Stock WRX and $5000 to spend???

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 12:38 PM

Car Info: Pilot & Prius.
Ok, Im no longer scared. =)

Going to piece something together. Has me much more excited than going the normal route. Then I can sit and bore anyone who asks me with all the different parts.

Looking for a thread about turbos in the past that answers some basic questions. I mean I see some nice power mentioned with different turbos, but they take awhile to spool. I guess Im really interested in 1/4 performance over anything else. I wanna see some nice times since thats really the only time you can get on the throttle hard on island. Everywhere I turn there are cops.

If anyone has some quickie turbo info please post, but I dont want to start a discussion about it as Im sure you guys have done it before. Just no clue what turbos will work well.

Thanks as usual...

Originally posted by teiva-boy
Oh and far as tuning goes, road tuning is about 90% as good as dyno tuning. I dont feel this is an issue. Some of us are getting really good at tuning ourselves and are finally seeing benefits to our tuning.

So dont let the no AWD dyno in hawaii thing scare you. Now we just need to get Sean to finish my wideband O2 kit

Oh and I'll be buying a datalogging software that is about the same as Road Dyno but also has great logging features. That should me immensly, and I can use it for you guys too later down the road.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by teiva-boy
Oh the TurboXS FMIC is not available as of yet, it's in their catalog though. You can find more info and pictures for it on www.vividracing.com. Pricing is about $1400-$1500.
Anyone know of other sources for TXS parts? Wouldnt want to order from vivid.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:42 PM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
www.swaintech.com

They do something similar to JetHot and their ceramic coatings. But swaintech also offers a coating for intercoolers that actually repels heat rather then retains heat(ceramic coating) And it comes in black too.

If you look at www.cobbtuning.com they have some older APS FMIC's that had a similar if not their coatings.

www.worldone.com has a line on turboxs parts.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:45 PM

But you could paint the mesh screen tho, I think the IC are already colored correctly. That wouldnt need anything special would it? Some hitemp black paint or gray or something.

Oh, and shouldnt you guys be working or something? =)

Hmm, cant hit worldone.com, dns all screwy. Any local guys sell TXS stuff?

Last edited by DaveWRX; 02-26-2003 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by DaveWRX
But you could paint the mesh screen tho, I think the IC are already colored correctly. That wouldnt need anything special would it? Some hitemp black paint or gray or something.

Oh, and shouldnt you guys be working or something? =)

Hmm, cant hit worldone.com, dns all screwy. Any local guys sell TXS stuff?
I'm dumb... www.worldoneperformance.com
Old 02-26-2003, 12:54 PM

Oh and as far as the working comment, I am working... just give me terminal server, SSH and a few other tools, and I'm good to go!

That and I also have a remote support tool for users with an internet connection and IE5+.
Old 02-26-2003, 02:29 PM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
Dave, if you're going to come out to an install, that's a good place to ask all the questions, that way it's easier to explain a bunch of different things at once, and you can see how the parts are actually installed. Plus, you can get A Lot more ideas

Oh yeah, the wideband and readout are all together (controller not in the case yet, trying to figure out how the damn thing goes in), but both need to be calibrated/tested. Plus I gotta scrounge up some wire for the o2 sensor to controller.
Old 02-26-2003, 02:52 PM

Ill be there this weekend if I can get some directions and time to show up. Ill be the dork in the Toyota Hybrid and Ill take any of you on at the track with it...

Well maybe not.
Old 02-26-2003, 02:58 PM
First 12sec WRX in HI

Car Info: 12.93@106.71
Originally posted by Nolimit
Dave, if you're going to come out to an install, that's a good place to ask all the questions, that way it's easier to explain a bunch of different things at once, and you can see how the parts are actually installed. Plus, you can get A Lot more ideas
Come out to an install, you'll get to see the cars, the faces behind the names, the different parts we're talking about and everyones differing opinions, and pick our brains on everything Subaru. Plus there are probably a lot of us here wondering what face is behind the 3,000 plus posts you've written.
Old 02-26-2003, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by Rexstang
Come out to an install, you'll get to see the cars, the faces behind the names, the different parts we're talking about and everyones differing opinions, and pick our brains on everything Subaru. Plus there are probably a lot of us here wondering what face is behind the 3,000 plus posts you've written.
Only 2,987 posts, sheesh... =)
Old 02-26-2003, 08:33 PM

Prodrive

Prodrive is coming out with a performance package for the WRX (and STi).

https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...threadid=10038

Last edited by mehlt; 02-26-2003 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:49 PM

Im thinking of placing an order with Farid for TurboXS FMIC, Pinner Short Ram and probably XEDE. More to just get them on their way than anything else. Will put stuff in as time and all your install days allow. Any other odds and ends I would need to make these work? Eventually I want larger turbo and such, but that can wait.

Just not sure if I need anything else in conjunction with the XEDE or not. Thanks as usual guys and I will ask a ton more this weekend if someone gives me directions where everyone is meeting. Or maybe Im not getting directions because I will be the annoying new guy asking too many questions...hmm...come on I got beer and soda if we end up being in a no alcohol zone... =)
Old 02-27-2003, 07:45 AM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
you can't order the XEDE from speedgear. probably not any of the things you listed.
those things need to be ordered from the mainland.
the XEDE from Vishnu, which I don't think is available yet (i dunno).
the turboxs front mount isn't even available yet, and you can use almost any short air intake with it.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:46 AM

Car Info: 2002/2.5/sr40/400hp
FMIC

Dave have you seen this:
http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/wr...wrx_fmi_03.htm

Price is $1354.50

Dave@wannaberacing.net
Old 02-27-2003, 10:39 AM

Re: FMIC

Hmm, says you still have to trim the front air dam, just not thrilled about that. I do like how the APS fills the air dam opening. Gotta check and see what TurboXS says about theirs. I do like the APS stuff tho. Seriously considering ordering a turbo through them. Will have to shoot them an email and check. Was looking at the Perrin Short Ram instead of cold air intake.

APS mentioned needing the Unichip as well, would the XEDE take care of this? I am still not quite figurig out unichip, xede and the engine management units.

Originally posted by wannaberacing
Dave have you seen this:
http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/wr...wrx_fmi_03.htm

Price is $1354.50

Dave@wannaberacing.net

Last edited by DaveWRX; 02-27-2003 at 10:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Stock WRX and $5000 to spend???