Stock WRX and $5000 to spend???

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 01:17 AM

Car Info: Pilot & Prius.
Stock WRX and $5000 to spend???

Just curious what y'all would do? Take into account the "stock" above is really talking about Dans rex that I plan to buy from him once I see it and like it as much as every other rex I have seen.

Cash above for performance mods not visuals, want to get some gunmetal superlegs or something else. I saw a couple Blue with Gunmetal and really like the look. Will be good to see some rexs this weekend if the install day happens...
Old 02-26-2003, 01:19 AM

Car Info: 2008 MB C350S Chip/Exhaust 268whp
it differs alot. if you're going with speed, 5k is alot to spend with but not so much in regards to looks.

dan's car was like hit with the speed stick when it was made or something.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:24 AM

Speed is what Im curious about. My friend found out his fiances surgery was only going to cost them about $15k, not the $25k I sent them so I have some play money for the rex and I wanna spend it!!! =) Of course I gotta get the damn thing first, hah...
Old 02-26-2003, 02:38 AM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
Simplest thing for speed is a stage kit. But who wants to follow the crowd? Be unique.

Start with the basics like opening up your exhaust, fuel pump, larger injectors, etc.

it's the turbo choice and engine management that you'll have a hard time deciding on. Then with the larger turbo, will you need an upgraded intercooler? If so if it's one of the larger MRT or APS one's, you need a new battery, intake and BOV. It all adds up....
Old 02-26-2003, 05:33 AM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
a vishnu stage 2 kit

http://www.vishnutuning.com/stage.htm
Old 02-26-2003, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by teiva-boy
Simplest thing for speed is a stage kit. But who wants to follow the crowd? Be unique.

Start with the basics like opening up your exhaust, fuel pump, larger injectors, etc.

it's the turbo choice and engine management that you'll have a hard time deciding on. Then with the larger turbo, will you need an upgraded intercooler? If so if it's one of the larger MRT or APS one's, you need a new battery, intake and BOV. It all adds up....
Im all for unique unless it gives me a headache. =) I just gotta chat with yall more and figure it all out. Im in no hurry, want to run the car at the track and get used to it so I can compare with new mods. God I dont even have a car yet and Im wanting to mess with it. I can see the future of the wife being pissed at me over a new toy. =( If Im not adding a DVD burner or new video card or new monitor to my pc she wonders whats up, now another toy, boy oh boy. =)
Old 02-26-2003, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by Mach5WRX
a vishnu stage 2 kit

http://www.vishnutuning.com/stage.htm
Sorta cool how you can just jump from stage to stage and just pay the difference. Might go that route, gotta read up on it more.

Dan what were you running when you had all the goodies on the car? Shoulda talked to you before you stripped everything off it I guess. =)
Old 02-26-2003, 09:40 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 94 T-Leg Sedan and a 00 M5
The other options include being unique. No one out here (that I know of) has the XEDE, yet, and people are still perfecting working with the UTEC. For something completely different, there are the Cobb tuning stages. I personally would LOVE their stage one cylinder head or short block kits. That is A LOT more work than what we typically do to our cars, but it is thoroughly unique. If you start searching around the web beyond vishnu and TurboXS (both great places to go) you can find some places that the other sheep (me and my Vishnu stage 1) go. A good place to find links is the vendor section both here and on NASIOC.
Here is Cobb Tuning.

rallitek has some alternative stage kits, too.

A lot of the "alternative" kits are going to require an EMS in order to work right, so that ups you cost, but $5k is a good place to start. If I had to do it all over again, (and was seriously into tuning...) I would start with a UTEC and work up from there. However, I am weak and worthless and have not taken the time to steep myself in the dark arts of tuning.

Just some thoughts of mine.
-Greg
Old 02-26-2003, 10:39 AM

Lightbulb

Much appreciated. Unfotunately Im sorta a lemming and take the more common easy path most of the time. I will check into the Stage 0-2 from Vishnu and just see what it entails. Probably step up and see the performance gains. I would like to hear their turbo-back tho and see what I think. Thats the only annoying mod since you never know what it will sound like and most I dont like.

I just gotta read more and figure all this out, still not understanding most of what you guys talk about, but the more I listen hopefully I will get more of a clue... Would be nice to go more unique since it would probably feel better to put together a nice package that isnt mainstream, but as I just said since Im clueless as hell that might not work well for me. =)

Originally posted by EtchyLives
A lot of the "alternative" kits are going to require an EMS in order to work right, so that ups you cost, but $5k is a good place to start. If I had to do it all over again, (and was seriously into tuning...) I would start with a UTEC and work up from there. However, I am weak and worthless and have not taken the time to steep myself in the dark arts of tuning.

Old 02-26-2003, 10:43 AM

How about a vishnu turbo, the XEDE, and their TMIC? Now that would be a killer combo and very unique.
Old 02-26-2003, 10:58 AM

How about a vishnu turbo, the XEDE, and their TMIC? Now that would be a killer combo and very unique.
Reading about XEDE now, very interested. Will make sure I run anything I come up with by all of you guys. I need the dumbed down version of all this, ugh...

Stupid question time... TMIC? Im lost yet again...

Last edited by DaveWRX; 02-26-2003 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:07 AM

Top mount intercooler TMIC
Front mount intercooler FMIC
intercooler IC
Old 02-26-2003, 11:21 AM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
Turbo-XS

Everyone raves about their customer support. Sometimes Vishnu is slow (very slow) to get back to people. That's what I see on the boards. Worth checking out.

San
Old 02-26-2003, 11:44 AM

Re: Turbo-XS

Originally posted by oldmansan
Everyone raves about their customer support. Sometimes Vishnu is slow (very slow) to get back to people. That's what I see on the boards. Worth checking out.

San
Yes vishnu is slow and sometimes Brett is a little less then ideal on the phone.

You know I really like the TurboXS FMIC it looks really sexy. and has some great features to it.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:54 AM

Top mount intercooler TMIC
Front mount intercooler FMIC
intercooler IC
Ah, thanks! Gotta get these into my brain.

Quick Reply: Stock WRX and $5000 to spend???