Old 02-17-2003, 05:15 AM

Car Info: Vakamon WRX
Question sr40 package

Do you guys think $3,146.39 is a good package deal from thewrxstore:

sr40 turbo
supra fuel pump
injectors
utec

Or, should I just go with a vf30 w/a few other mods and save money?
Old 02-17-2003, 11:37 AM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
Those SR series turbo's are crazy! But because of their cost and initial availability not many have them as of yet. At one time only Cobb was bringing them in. Now there are a handful of vendors that have them, but still their price is a little high when compared to an IHI turbo.

However a SR40 will outflow a VF3x series by quite a bit. Just for kicks I put in the SR30 too, marginally better(more efficient) in the upper boost levels where the VF3x would choke.

Code:
IHI VF-30         460 CFM at 18.0 PSI  
SR 30             490 CFM at 22   PSI
SR 40             650 CFM at 22   PSI
... But you better have the supporting mods and the right engine managment or you'll be no faster then I was with just an iON turbo. BTW, I think STi injectors are too small for an SR40. You need some 650cc injectors.

If it were me, I would go for it. Nothing like being original and not following the crowd.

Last edited by teiva-boy; 02-17-2003 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:59 AM

Car Info: Real Slow
Lightbulb

yo,

if you get a bigger turbo, your going to need a bigger intercooler. whether it be a tmic or fmic just to be safe. also an get gauge should be a must.

what kind of power are you looking for? do you plan on doing any autocrossing or just drag racing?

there are trade offs with any turbo so before you spend big money on one you should hook up with someone that has an aftermarket turbo and see how you like their set up. then you can go from there. but if you got the money, go for it!

just my $.02

good luck!
Old 02-17-2003, 12:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
That sounds like an awesome deal to me.

Titan motorsports has the pump for $115. I'm assuming you're talking 650cc injectors, Gruppe-S has them for $625. The UTEC is going for as low as $920, I believe. That's $1660. That means you'd be getting the turbo for $1490.

Cobb is the only one selling the SR that I found, and they're asking $1650 for the turbo. So if you bought that package, I'd say that's a steal.
Old 02-17-2003, 01:17 PM

Car Info: Real Slow
Originally posted by teiva-boy

... But you better have the supporting mods and the right engine managment or you'll be no faster then I was with just an iON turbo. BTW, I think STi injectors are too small for an SR40. You need some 650cc injectors.

If it were me, I would go for it. Nothing like being original and not following the crowd. [/B]
yeah,

what he said!
Old 02-17-2003, 04:00 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice guys. My gitty gitty a$$ just purchased a Vishnu Ball-Bearing turbo charger from Axis Powering Racing. The turbo is a Garret based T3/T04. Now I'm scrammbling to purchase supporting mods (currently waiting replies for Sti injectors and TXS TMIC).

I didn't do much research, but when I called Ron at Axis, I couldn't resist $1250 shipped for the turbo. My dumba$$ didn't bother negotiating b/c I was just on the Vinshu website drooling over the turbo and I was half awake at 0330 in the morning.

How would this turbo compare to the sr30 and sr40?

You guys must check out their website. Ron quoted me $4500+ shipping for an STi complete engine (comes with vf35).

-gittty gitty chibby
Old 02-17-2003, 05:34 PM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
If I were you, I wouldn't get the STi injectors, they're too small for what you're getting. Just go ahead with the 650's like teiva-boy mentioned.

I think you'll be happy with the vishnu turbo, ... and if you're not, I know you won't have a hard time getting rid of it!!

The Greddy or Blitz front mount would be a wise choice, Personally, I'd go with the Greddy.
Since you got the Vishnu turbo, I'd say you may want to get the XEDE System from Vishnu as well(with XMAP Full-Functional Tuning Software). Much better than the UTEC, and I'm 'sure' Shiv has some maps to go along with that turbo.

Either the Supra or Walbro fuel pump should be fine. If you're serious about doing it right, Vishnu(and others) have parallel fuel rails and adj fuel pressure regulators.

Sean
Old 02-17-2003, 06:08 PM

Thanks for replying guys. I wanted to rush this install and slap everything in by the end of the week, but I shouldn't rush. I was about to purchase the Sti injectors, but since it will hinder the potential of the turbo, I'll wait for the 650cc injectors and other supporting mods: Exede, boost gauge, walboro or supra fuel pump, fuel rails, and fmic.

Would the APS tmic work with my set-up or is the fmic a better overall choice?

I too want to run in the12's in the 1/4 mile and still be able to drive a streetable car.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Originally posted by Nolimit
Much better than the UTEC, and I'm 'sure' Shiv has some maps to go along with that turbo.
Sean,

Why are you bad-mouthing the UTEC? What if I want to get rid of it later, huh?
Old 02-17-2003, 06:54 PM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
SR40

The SR40 is definately the turbo for major horsepower, but you'll have to wait a bit longer for the boost to get there. If you're looking for a streetable turbo, I'd think twice about the SR30 (among others). Rexstang has already shown that 12s can be reached by a quick spooling turbo. The only reason I'd look to the SR40 is if I was looking to increase displacement, or put major emphasis on the 1/4 mile. Nice price on both the SR30 and SR40 kits though.

San
Old 02-17-2003, 06:55 PM

Unhappy

Received news from my girlfriend. She wants to vacation this coming spring break. Damn, now I have to wait after the vacation to finish this project. Oh well, on the bright side, I'll have enough time to plan my set-up.

Do you guys think the sr40 would have been a better choice?
Old 02-17-2003, 07:08 PM

Just stick with one decision and follow through with it. I think you made a good one. No one has built their car overnight, and dont expect that to happen either.
Old 02-17-2003, 07:27 PM

Oh boy look at this

http://www.wrxforum.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c;f=1;t=000007

You could have gotten a Cobb map pretty easily with an SR40 in your car

Competition is good! I can't wait to see prices for UTEC's, XEDE's, and re-flashes go down. Too bad I bought a standalone
Old 02-17-2003, 09:21 PM
Where is my beer?

Originally posted by Chibby Goku
Received news from my girlfriend. She wants to vacation this coming spring break. Damn, now I have to wait after the vacation to finish this project. Oh well, on the bright side, I'll have enough time to plan my set-up.

Do you guys think the sr40 would have been a better choice?
yes, having to wait will give you time to plan everything out, and do it RIGHT the first time.

and I think you made the better choice in getting Vishnu's turbo.

Originally posted by gpatmac
Sean,

Why are you bad-mouthing the UTEC? What if I want to get rid of it later, huh?
What do you mean?? I'm not bad mouthing it really, ... the XEDE is just a much better unit!
Old 02-17-2003, 09:22 PM
Where is my beer?

.. oh, and let us know when you get all this stuff! or if you have anymore questions, ..... I still gotta look out for my old car!

Quick Reply: sr40 package