Recon Personalities

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 05:38 PM

Car Info: 2004 STI
Recon Personalities

Not bad or good just thought a little interesting.

Had my recon done for my Tacoma. The guy was a polar opposite that did my STI. Total words " Park right in front the stop sign, pop the hood- fill out the form- sign- wait- ok done (puts sticker and walks away)".

The guy that did my STI was a car guy and asked a lot of questions. Ended talking 15 minutes afters the recon was done.

Anyway just glad I passed.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:06 PM

Car Info: S14
When I did my recon for my wrx wagon I had the same experience as your Tacoma one, except he was bouncing my car. I was caught off guard by how quick and easy it was.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:14 PM

Car Info: '13 Xrunner
Originally Posted by ojichan sti
Not bad or good just thought a little interesting.

Had my recon done for my Tacoma. The guy was a polar opposite that did my STI. Total words " Park right in front the stop sign, pop the hood- fill out the form- sign- wait- ok done (puts sticker and walks away)".

The guy that did my STI was a car guy and asked a lot of questions. Ended talking 15 minutes afters the recon was done.

Anyway just glad I passed.
Congrats on the pass! Did you have any items on your car that made you think that it might've been a close call (i.e. stiff coilovers)?
I have KW Variant 1's on my gr hatch. I would rather be legit and get a recon but their means of evaluating suspensions has me a bit worried.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:43 PM

Car Info: 2005 OBP STi
what is recon exactly? i was told i would need to be recon'd but i just went somewhere else and they hooked me up. all i have are jdm pink springs and stickers on the windows.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:00 PM

Car Info: '13 Xrunner
Originally Posted by Jaren 05 STi
what is recon exactly? i was told i would need to be recon'd but i just went somewhere else and they hooked me up. all i have are jdm pink springs and stickers on the windows.
Recon is a slightly stricter set of car requirements than a regular safety. I think you need to get a recon inspection because you altered your suspension. I think you wouldn't need to get the inspection if the springs were a usdm option.
The good thing about recon is that it is a one time deal if you don't further modify your car with parts that would need to be recon inspected. The bad thing is that the office does not have an exact set of guidelines to follow in order for your vehicle to be deemed recon acceptable. In other words, each inspector has their own ideas on what to be stricter and a little more lenient on certain things.
Because recon is required here on Oahu, if your car requires it and you do not have one done you could possibly be cited for not having one. You should google recon and hawaii for the specifics. But if all you have are the JDM springs, make an appointment with them AND THEN make an alignment appointment. You need to have a alignment sheet done within 30 days of your recon appointment. OP, sorry for the thread jack.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jaren 05 STi
Reidos recon thread above will provide your questions that you may have.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by the_truth
Did you have any items on your car that made you think that it might've been a close call (i.e. stiff coilovers)?
I have KW Variant 1's on my gr hatch. I would rather be legit and get a recon but their means of evaluating suspensions has me a bit worried.

Like you've mentioned, its very subjective (measuring the bounce test). The ironic thing about the bounce test is a friend bought a 2013 BMW M3, the suspension is stiffer than my cuscos 02rs, yet no recon needed. Depends on who you get at recon. Chance'em
Old 04-16-2013, 01:09 AM

Car Info: 2005 OBP STi
Originally Posted by the_truth
Recon is a slightly stricter set of car requirements than a regular safety. I think you need to get a recon inspection because you altered your suspension. I think you wouldn't need to get the inspection if the springs were a usdm option.
The good thing about recon is that it is a one time deal if you don't further modify your car with parts that would need to be recon inspected. The bad thing is that the office does not have an exact set of guidelines to follow in order for your vehicle to be deemed recon acceptable. In other words, each inspector has their own ideas on what to be stricter and a little more lenient on certain things.
Because recon is required here on Oahu, if your car requires it and you do not have one done you could possibly be cited for not having one. You should google recon and hawaii for the specifics. But if all you have are the JDM springs, make an appointment with them AND THEN make an alignment appointment. You need to have a alignment sheet done within 30 days of your recon appointment. OP, sorry for the thread jack.

well he told me i wouldnt need to be recon'd since he passed me. i guess i just got a cool inspector