Does anyone know a source for used WRX struts, or know anyone willing to sell a set?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 02:15 PM

Car Info: Rust bucketo
Does anyone know a source for used WRX struts, or know anyone willing to sell a set?

I recently bent a strut and might* have missed another bent strut, that passed my initial visual check for straightness.

I currently have a 2004 WRX sedan with a GC/Koni setup with stock topmounts. Really, all I need are 4 strut "casings" from a 2002-2004 WRX (will RS struts work? *shrug*) that are structurally sound, as I will have to cut them up anyway. So all in all, i'm just looking for a place (junkyards?) to get either blown or used struts. I don't even need any springs or topmounts.

If anyone is about to discard a set, or has blown ones they're willing to sell, OR knows a junkyard where I can find some for a reasonable price, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm not in that much of a rush, i'm more depressed if anything. I was able to offset my bent strut's camber change to almost as good as it was before; hopefully my toe hasn't been changed. The car drives OK for now, steering a bit off center but no pulling and drives straight as before. There may be something wrong under the skin that I don't know about; hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Thanks in advance.
Dan
Old 09-11-2004, 04:49 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
How did you bend them?? If anything and you are short on cash just order a KYB GR2 from TireRack they are cheap...$66 a piece not that bad wish I could help ya out though..
Old 09-12-2004, 02:29 AM

Car Info: Rust bucketo
Originally Posted by silver satin
How did you bend them?? If anything and you are short on cash just order a KYB GR2 from TireRack they are cheap...$66 a piece not that bad wish I could help ya out though..
Well I had a bad encounter with some lift-off oversteer in a smooth right hander in the rain..

First of all, I was probably going a little fast, downshifted to 3rd going around 60-65mph (I think? didn't pay attention), before I knew it the back end had slid out and I corrected, however it was not enough and to add to the oversteer, still decelerating in 3rd gear. Through the whole turn I didn't touch the throttle at all. All that resulted in me sliding off the road into a grass embankment on the right side of the road, somehow bending the strut. It also left deep scratches on the front left part of the bumper and rear right. Honestly I don't remember every single thing that happened. Judging from the damage I must have 360'ed. I just remember myself with the wheel turned to the left, and while sliding uncontrollably, kinda "phasing out" with thoughts of "this is really happening, i'm ****ing crashing" and a helluva bumpy ride. The way it felt in the car, I thought I had smashed the f*ck out of the right side of the car.

Now that I think of it, i'm such an idiot AND a pus_y. I mean I could have gotten back on the throttle smoothly to get back in line, OR I probably could have braked while turning right instead of countersteering... If I braked while turning in the same direction as the slide I would have just 180'ed on the spot in the middle of the road, by myself. Its depressing that I damaged my car in such a simple situation, I just didn't know how to react. Who stops thinking in the middle of losing control? I begin to think this car is too much for me... : / This is why I didn't think I could handle a stiff rear swaybar.

So far it doesn't seem like I can find some replacement struts anytime soon. *shrug*

Last edited by caterpill; 09-12-2004 at 02:32 AM.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:55 AM

Car Info: 2002 silver rex
struts

got a set of used 02 struts if u still need them call me 256-0094 walt