Does anyone know if cops here harass people for having a straight pipe / no muffler?

Old 01-12-2004, 11:56 PM

Car Info: Rust bucketo
Unhappy Does anyone know if cops here harass people for having a straight pipe / no muffler?

There's a quote of my statement below, if you're curious what I said.

Toodles! 8-)

Last edited by caterpill; 02-05-2008 at 01:58 AM.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:13 AM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
Re: Does anyone know if cops here harass people for having a straight pipe / no muffler?

Originally posted by caterpill
Well, I haven't quite read up on oahu's law book dealing with cars requiring mufflers, but I do know that it is supposed to be illegal to not have one.

My question is, do cops here harass people specifically for that? The reason why I wanted to know was because i'm a junior in high school, and am currently taking Auto Mechanics as an elective. I pretty much hang out in auto mechanics all day long, even on days that I don't have the class. I go early to school and chill in the shop, then come back after for break/ lunch break.

The shop, suprisingly, has lots and lots of wonderful goodies, but what bugs me is that I am not able to fully utilize this valuable resource that is available to me. Some of the goodies include a MIG, TIG, a lift, tire changers, tools, etc.

I currently do not have a job, so I can't afford mods like a catback and stuff that I would love to have. Neither do I run my car has hard as other people, mainly because I wouldn't be able to pay for the repairs myself. : /

Well, recently I noticed that there was a spare peice of 3" exhaust piping chopped off of a (diesel/dually?) that has sparked some interest in me. The pipe is about a few feet long and has a few bends too. The bends look very clean, almost mandrel-like. My idea was to weld myself up a straight pipe axle back using that peice, and a muffler flange that I got at NAPA, making it a reversable mod. It'd be easy to bolt up the stock muffler if need be (warranty). If I remember right, an axle back for a WRX only needs about one bend or so and a long straight section if you angle the pipe to the left. I'd sand the piping and make it a matte black, so it wouldn't stand out. (a personal perference) What bothers me, is the thought of cops possibly pulling me over because I don't have a muffler. Besides the "straight pipe", the only other obvious mod would be 5% tint.

My driving is pretty relaxed and mellow, and I don't drive like an *** either.... Oh, yeah, and I don't frequent places like Waikiki. I live in Ewa Beach, so my driving takes me to places like Moanalua for school, Pearlridge, Pearl City .. Ala Moana occasionally. Never go to Waikiki unless it's some kind of special event.

I'd appreciate any opinion or thoughts on this, any tips?

Thanks,
Daniel
Old 01-13-2004, 12:30 AM

I can appreciate somone willing to do their own fabrication, but what are your goals in performing this mod? It would make your car louder, for sure, and you might even pick up a couple of horses. Performance wise though, the three cats in front of the cat-back hurt you the most. Now if you could fabricate your own down-pipe, that would be cool! Otherwise, I think if money is tight, don't attract tickets from the popo, which a straight pipe will probably do.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:55 AM

Car Info: Rust bucketo
! :d

Last edited by caterpill; 02-05-2008 at 01:55 AM.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:57 AM

I too have difficulty driving on stock exhaust! If cash is tight and all you want for now is the rumble, I think you should space the flanges at the axle-back section. Boloheadrat is right about the 3 cats up front. Save your $$$ for tint tickets! J/K!

btw, if you want to practice your fabricating skills, see if you can make solid endlinks for the rear swaybar...