Bigger turbo???

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 03:00 PM

Car Info: grandmas car
Originally Posted by reido
Is this a comparison of the same turbo? The twinscroll dyno is not a garret. It's a borg warner.
And aren't these all done in different gears? Isn't blue done in 3rd on an STI, the red done in 4th on 07 STI gearing (or 3rd on an 07 which is still tall), and isn't the last done with a WRX transmission? These are not a good way to compare turbos. Also since the red curve has specific cams--I believe all of the cars have different cams--so I'm not sure what this shows.

But I think you should dispel myths that the rotated setups are junk to drive on the street. The package of parts really is the key. A 35r is well matched to the 257 imho. It's not really the turbo. It's the combination.
BTW, the red is a 35r wheel. So turbine size, compressor size and hotside are all factors of what comprises a "turbo."
true, all 3 setups are different...that being said, who or what are we comparing the red line to? you arent the only one saying it spools late....so who are we comparing it against? that being said, if you are comparing it to a setup that isnt the same, that isnt really fair? 4080 says his car will not be spooling later than 4.5k, but as far as i know, his motor is stock and his intercooler will be top mount.
i never said that rotated setups are junk to drive on the street. luis daily drove his 500+whp till he left...reina is rocking it out now hehe. i have what you want (or i think you want), i dont think you want me posting it though....
Old 12-10-2010, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by stets
Hey ***! I didnt want to stay on because i was on for half an hour waiting for a response so i signed off lol. I even txted you to meet me on aim! Well yea i did some research on what i should do and understand rotated would be the best and save a lot of money if i ever do want to go bigger later but for now since this is my first turbo upgrade, i would stick with stock location and not as big.

Btw do you have internals done to your sti?
i think youre texting the wrong number, lol. didnt get no texts from you. pm'd you back....lol
Old 12-10-2010, 03:21 PM

Car Info: '12 FXT Touring
DD?

Mine is, I chose a Blouch TD05H 16G XT (7cm). fairly conservative tune, 7/10 I'd say. 19psi peak and 15psi at 7k limit. 265whp/310ft/lb on a heartbreaker dyno. Love it.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:43 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
this is where i got my grear set. they cost more now then when i got mines tho... i have the sti RA gears w/cyro treatment and yes they car quick gears!!

http://www.rallispec.com/prod_trans.htm

I had a awesome time getting it threw these guys with no issues service for me was Excellent
Old 12-10-2010, 03:45 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
Originally Posted by NorCalPaintball
DD?

Mine is, I chose a Blouch TD05H 16G XT (7cm). fairly conservative tune, 7/10 I'd say. 19psi peak and 15psi at 7k limit. 265whp/310ft/lb on a heartbreaker dyno. Love it.
to be honest you can make any dyno read higher or lower depends on the settings you have it set at... the rollers on a mustang dyno are actually lighter then on a dynojet. it just depends on how it is set up...... when the tuner comes down i asked these Q and he has both a mustang and a dynojet and said his dynojet actually reads less power then his mustang dyno. also he said his mustang dyno breaks down alot lol
Old 12-10-2010, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by NorCalPaintball
DD?

are you talking to me or someone else? that red line is DD'd, yes.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:26 PM

Car Info: '12 FXT Touring
Originally Posted by shaggadelic
to be honest you can make any dyno read higher or lower depends on the settings you have it set at... the rollers on a mustang dyno are actually lighter then on a dynojet. it just depends on how it is set up...... when the tuner comes down i asked these Q and he has both a mustang and a dynojet and said his dynojet actually reads less power then his mustang dyno. also he said his mustang dyno breaks down alot lol
didn't know that, thanks.

ultimately though, I personally don't care about the #s... just that it pulls hard and smooth, which it definitley does... way smoother power through also.

next is: tomei gt specII headers, helix up, aem cai, grimm TGV coated delete, 3mm phenolics, group n motor/tranny mounts, full grounding kit, grimm AOS all installed and tuned! can't wait for next weekend.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:07 PM

Car Info: STI
Originally Posted by dysfunctnl doll
true, all 3 setups are different...that being said, who or what are we comparing the red line to? you arent the only one saying it spools late....so who are we comparing it against? that being said, if you are comparing it to a setup that isnt the same, that isnt really fair? 4080 says his car will not be spooling later than 4.5k, but as far as i know, his motor is stock and his intercooler will be top mount.
i never said that rotated setups are junk to drive on the street. luis daily drove his 500+whp till he left...reina is rocking it out now hehe. i have what you want (or i think you want), i dont think you want me posting it though....
I think my point is that the numbers and curve are not comparable but you can post what you want
In other words your post didn't help him pick a setup or I didn't see it as trying to help. In other words, what the hell was your point?
I could be wrong though

Last edited by reido; 12-10-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:13 PM

I think it's clear you're promoting a shop and not a turbo
We get it. Sonics is the bomb. That doesn't help him choose.
Or I don't see how it does. Am I wrong?

I think Seth does great work.
I recommend him to everyone I know, but when someone asks me what turbo should I choose I don't say Sonics.
That's a shop and not a turbo last I checked
Old 12-10-2010, 06:27 PM

Btw you should tell Seth I have Travis higa in my class next semester lol
Old 12-10-2010, 07:21 PM

Car Info: 07 Sti
Btw you should tell Seth I have Travis higa in my class next semester lol
What/Where do you teach?

Can tell me in PM too, curious is all.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:00 AM

I think my point is that the numbers and curve are not comparable but you can post what you want
In other words your post didn't help him pick a setup or I didn't see it as trying to help. In other words, what the hell was your point?
I could be wrong though
In that case, is any setup comparable? Everyones setup is different, isn't that the beauty of it? To try and come up with something unique and see how it does? And I think it showed comparisons of "big" turbos, which is what he was interested in. And you and I both know, everyone is after that peak number.
This whole thing was twisted around. All I did was post a graph with the big turbo'd guys....4080 attacked one car...yes, I did defend that car because I don't see anything wrong with the tune. Why wasn't the benchmark tuned car attacked? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought twin scroll was supposed to spool faster, isn't that the point of that setup?
Old 12-11-2010, 10:02 AM

are you talking to me or someone else? that red line is DD'd, yes.
Oops I meant the blue line is dd. The red and green, I think not...
Old 12-11-2010, 03:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
In that case, is any setup comparable? Everyones setup is different, isn't that the beauty of it? To try and come up with something unique and see how it does? And I think it showed comparisons of "big" turbos, which is what he was interested in. And you and I both know, everyone is after that peak number.
This whole thing was twisted around. All I did was post a graph with the big turbo'd guys....4080 attacked one car...yes, I did defend that car because I don't see anything wrong with the tune. Why wasn't the benchmark tuned car attacked? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought twin scroll was supposed to spool faster, isn't that the point of that setup?

I didn't attack any car. I simply asked a question. so please refrain from saying that I attacked any car.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:48 PM

Car Info: 5.4RS
Jesus, this thread has turned into a fricken soap opera.

Quick Reply: Bigger turbo???