Bigger turbo???

Old 11-16-2010, 06:13 PM

Car Info: 04 STI
hmm yea i would love to go rotated but its a little to pricey for me now. i could always change to a rotated kit later.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:30 PM

Car Info: grandmas car

hiic dyno queens!!!!!!!!!

blue gt35r sonic tuned
red fp red ams tuned
green gt35r twin scroll tuned by matt cater benchmark tuning
Old 11-17-2010, 07:31 PM

oh and stets...didnt mean to ignore you. i know you im'd me about this....dont sign off if you want a response
Old 11-17-2010, 07:47 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
Originally Posted by dysfunctnl doll

blue gt35r sonic tuned
red fp red ams tuned
although those are nice numbers. why does the sonic tune hit so late? it's like almost 4600. with that being said you really should compare the same turbos with each other. what would have been nice is if you had the same car with 3 different tuners, now that would have been interesting to see.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by 4080wrx
although those are nice numbers. why does the sonic tune hit so late? it's like almost 4600. with that being said you really should compare the same turbos with each other. what would have been nice is if you had the same car with 3 different tuners, now that would have been interesting to see.
the topic was on turbo selection not comparing the same turbos. he also stated going "bigger". if you want to compare the same turbos, you should start a thread on that....or if you are specifically targeting the sonic tuned car, who else has a 35r tuned on the rads dyno to compare with? instead of attacking, you can post your data.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:50 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
the topic was on turbo selection not comparing the same turbos. he also stated going "bigger". if you want to compare the same turbos, you should start a thread on that....or if you are specifically targeting the sonic tuned car, who else has a 35r tuned on the rads dyno to compare with? instead of attacking, you can post your data.

not attacking, just questioning why the power came on so late. and you are a right about comparing turbos so I will retract that statement. as far as my own data I will have that up soon and you can best bet I won't have a post 4k spool
Old 11-17-2010, 08:57 PM

oh and stets...didnt mean to ignore you. i know you im'd me about this....dont sign off if you want a response
Hey ***! I didnt want to stay on because i was on for half an hour waiting for a response so i signed off lol. I even txted you to meet me on aim! Well yea i did some research on what i should do and understand rotated would be the best and save a lot of money if i ever do want to go bigger later but for now since this is my first turbo upgrade, i would stick with stock location and not as big.

Btw do you have internals done to your sti?
Old 11-18-2010, 01:13 AM

Car Info: 05 LGT
A rotated turbo setup will provide the most flexibility in turbo choices and ultimate power capability when compared to stock location.

Fortunately for me, my ultimate goal is 'drivability,' not maximum power.

I'd like to have a highly potent and fun daily driver that strikes a perfect balance for both street and 'track' use.

For me, and I speak only for myself, I think the HTA Green is the Holy Grail.

And it's arriving this week. Yaaay!
Old 11-18-2010, 07:34 AM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
again... bigger isn't always better but if you go bigger make sure you KNOW what you're looking for. You can't generalize turbos since they're made for different things.

drivability is where it's at for me as well. Numbers mean nothing to me unless I can tap that power daily. Also keep in mind with the additional power (not that it matters to me personally) you WILL see a tremendous LOSS in gas mileage. Especially if you boost a lot.

I'd love a GT35R twin scroll on my engine I know the mainland guys do it all the time.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Staff Member

Car Info: 2001 RSTi Widebody
If you do change your turbo, I may be interested in your VF39
Old 11-18-2010, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Ditchhanger
If you do change your turbo, I may be interested in your VF39
haha i was thinking if i should keep it or sell it, just in case anything goes wrong with the Green. i will let you know.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:40 PM

Car Info: STI
Originally Posted by simontempler
A rotated turbo setup will provide the most flexibility in turbo choices and ultimate power capability when compared to stock location.

Fortunately for me, my ultimate goal is 'drivability,' not maximum power.

I'd like to have a highly potent and fun daily driver that strikes a perfect balance for both street and 'track' use.

For me, and I speak only for myself, I think the HTA Green is the Holy Grail.

And it's arriving this week. Yaaay!

This is completely untrue, and this is the point I've been trying to explain to you forever. The point of the rotated kits are not just in the form of peak power. It's really drivability. If you look at the curve (minus the one that Doll just posted) of the rotated setups, they hit full boost faster and make more torque. The question is just whether you want to pay for that. Becasue they play with larger hotsides, and they are using compressor covers actually intended, they make the power more safely with lowering timing and less boost. I'd agree that the price of a full rotated kit is not in the realm of what an average person would want to pay though. Take a gander over at Nasioc, and you'll see that after at a certain point, rotated is cheaper with better drivability, even with reasonable power numbers.

It really comes down to money in the end. The rotated kits require a large investment up front, but if you compare to how many upgrades one requires to meet their performance--think of people who go from 16g to 18g to green then red---and you'll see that it's worthwhile.

Also boost on the dyno is all based on gear. If you tune in the lower gears, you can hit really high HP figures because the car goes through the load point very quickly (which is why some tuners tune in lower gears to post bragging rights). In higher gears the boost will come on fast, but the engine goes through the load point more slowly and so the tendency for knock is higher. But when you look at peak hp or even spool, you have to look at the variables. HTA green spooling by 3.4 in 2nd gear on an STI...BS...3rd gear on a WRX maybe... 4th gear would probably show full boost by 3k on a wrx.

Last edited by reido; 11-26-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:10 PM

Car Info: STI

blue gt35r sonic tuned
red fp red ams tuned
Is this a comparison of the same turbo? The twinscroll dyno is not a garret. It's a borg warner.
And aren't these all done in different gears? Isn't blue done in 3rd on an STI, the red done in 4th on 07 STI gearing (or 3rd on an 07 which is still tall), and isn't the last done with a WRX transmission? These are not a good way to compare turbos. Also since the red curve has specific cams--I believe all of the cars have different cams--so I'm not sure what this shows.

But I think you should dispel myths that the rotated setups are junk to drive on the street. The package of parts really is the key. A 35r is well matched to the 257 imho. It's not really the turbo. It's the combination.
BTW, the red is a 35r wheel. So turbine size, compressor size and hotside are all factors of what comprises a "turbo."
Old 11-26-2010, 07:12 PM

Car Info: 06sti
hta green is the way to go.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:22 PM

Car Info: 1989 Honda Civic, 11ʻ R1 & 09ʻ GSXR600
^^^Should get about 350awhp with the Green

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bigger turbo???