4EAT problem(I think)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 05:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
4EAT problem(I think)

I might get flammed on this thread but I wander if anyone other 4EAT guys out there ever had this problem.. Ok here is the situation, when I reverse park and put it into PARK, do my errands and get back into the car and engauge into drive, From Park going into to REVERSE,then to the DRIVE position its alittle hard to get it out of PARK(sounds like a manual tranny going into reverse with that loud "CLACK" sound and the body shift due to the shift from PARK into REVERSE)to put it into DRIVE.. I Checked the tranny fluid and its at the half mark of the dipstick.. But what is weird is when I park the car normally(front bumper first into the parking stall), then put it into REVERSE to pull out of the stall, there's no struggle and shifts smooth getting it out of PARK position going into REVERSE.. So what is your take on this!! Right now Im checking out rs25 & hopefullly find any useful info and after this thread, clubwrx.net for any info.Later going to buy tranny fluid

Thanks,
walter

MY04 2.5rs SEDAN
MODS: STOCK ENGINE w/ lightly suspension mods

Last edited by dub81; 06-20-2007 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Forgot to post GD info..
Old 06-20-2007, 06:14 PM

Car Info: 04 PSM WRX
Yes, it happened to me a couple times too. It was really hard to get out of P especially at an incline. My car still runs fine. Shouldn't be a problem Walter.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:51 PM

Car Info: 04 XTi.............. Seats down..G's up
yeah i would say it's probably because you on an incline/decline. do what i do and make sure you pull the ebrake before letting off the brakes, this will help you not to have that problem. GL
Old 06-20-2007, 06:52 PM

Car Info: subaru wrx wagon
You should engage your parking brake before shifting into park. If the car rolls a little the parking pawl or pin in the trans gets wedged and will make a loud clank when shifting out of park. I don't think it harms the trans but it does not sound good.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:08 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
yup. I had that happen to me when my car was 4EAT. The way that I resolved it is that I had to disengadge the brake and then re-engadge the brake and the problem would go away.

When was the last time that you changed tranny fluid? What are you currently using at the moment?

Jon
Old 06-20-2007, 10:33 PM
VIP Member

Thanks guys for your experience.. ^ _ ^

I noticed especially when parked on an incline..I put it in parked while pressing down on the break pedal and yank the ebrake handle as high as I can and still my car moves alittle foward..Guess I gotta adjust the cable or something..

-Well I looked on rs25 and clubwrx.net and found some useful info but no towards my situation..

Originally Posted by odzilla
You should engage your parking brake before shifting into park. If the car rolls a little the parking pawl or pin in the trans gets wedged and will make a loud clank when shifting out of park. I don't think it harms the trans but it does not sound good.
I hope it doesnt harm the trans but the sound really doesnt sound to pleasing to my ears!!

yup. I had that happen to me when my car was 4EAT. The way that I resolved it is that I had to disengadge the brake and then re-engadge the brake and the problem would go away.

Originally Posted by inFek
When was the last time that you changed tranny fluid? What are you currently using at the moment?

Jon
The last time I changed it was on my own at 31,xxx miles and used valvoline dexcron III that I bought at Checkers..I was going to used the Redline but never had enough cash at that time due to putting gas..
Old 06-20-2007, 11:30 PM

Car Info: 04 XTi.............. Seats down..G's up
try putting the car in neutral, pull the ebrake and let off the reg brake. once the car stops moving, put r in park and bobs ur uncle. no more bad sound
Old 06-20-2007, 11:35 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX 4EAT (VF34'd and FMIC'd)----sold :(
4EAT's unite!
Old 06-21-2007, 11:16 AM
VIP Member

Thanks Chucky, Jon, Justin, & Odzilla

UPDATE:

Well I toyed alittle with my car reverse parking it into the stall and did what Jon stated..Yeah you are right, after I put it in park and then let go the brake pedal. I pressed on the brake pedal again and shift from park going to D and it didnt make loud, very unpleasant clank sound and it wasnt real hard to shift out of P. But if time permits I will do my tranny fluid/diff oil qith redline d4 ATF this weekend..

P.S./ F.Y.I. I noticed while toying with the car alittle, my car looked like the front was higher than the rear so I looked and FTW , the tire shop slapped on 225/50/17s on my front instead of the norms 225/45/17s. The rear is alright with225/45/17s but the front isnt..Maybe this could be a factor for my unusual tranny shifting problem since my car is already on a incline position even on flat surfaces!! so I gotta call them & to go back during this weekend the get the correct size for the fronts..

P.S. part 2... I dont drive my car hard as I dont see why I need to except sometimes when the feeling to take the turns. Dont do stupid Neutral Drop thingys, I pretty much drive like an old hag!!LOL, and 2 times this happened to me, coming out of the Reverse position and quickly engauge into Drive and step on the gas alittle and the car made that "THUNK" sound coming from the diff. Just thought I let you know how I treat the tranny since i know its dang expensive to get a new one..!!!

Last edited by dub81; 06-21-2007 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:49 AM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
Originally Posted by dub81
UPDATE:

Well I toyed alittle with my car reverse parking it into the stall and did what Jon stated..Yeah you are right, after I put it in park and then let go the brake pedal. I pressed on the brake pedal again and shift from park going to D and it didnt make loud, very unpleasant clank sound and it wasnt real hard to shift out of P. But if time permits I will do my tranny fluid/diff oil qith redline d4 ATF this weekend..

P.S./ F.Y.I. I noticed while toying with the car alittle, my car looked like the front was higher than the rear so I looked and FTW , the tire shop slapped on 225/50/17s on my front instead of the norms 225/45/17s. The rear is alright with225/45/17s but the front isnt..Maybe this could be a factor for my unusual tranny shifting problem since my car is already on a incline position even on flat surfaces!! so I gotta call them & to go back during this weekend the get the correct size for the fronts..

P.S. part 2... I dont drive my car hard as I dont see why I need to except sometimes when the feeling to take the turns. Dont do stupid Neutral Drop thingys, I pretty much drive like an old hag!!LOL, and 2 times this happened to me, coming out of the Reverse position and quickly engauge into Drive and step on the gas alittle and the car made that "THUNK" sound coming from the diff. Just thought I let you know how I treat the tranny since i know its dang expensive to get a new one..!!!
great!

well the increase in tire height might cause a factor for driving and tire gas mileage and speed reading but wouldn't affect your transmission issues

well if you don't let the transmission get into the gear and immediately change from park to drive and mash the gas and start booking it then yes you will hear this noise since the transmission hasn't fully engaged the gear. from 1 4EAT owner to another... STOP THIS IMMEDIATELY!

the 4EAT is a strong one but not indestructible. It does require maintenance (as most people neglect to do from time to time) but for the most part I have enjoyed the car being automatic for a long time. The reason why I decided to upgrade is because I felt that outgrew it and learned all that I could from it. it also held me back at track days...etc. (but definitely NOT at drag strip )

Jon

Last edited by iNfEk; 06-21-2007 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:31 PM

Car Info: 04 PSM WRX
I love my 4EAT...