06 sti EWG w/stock turbo setup?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 08:09 PM

Car Info: CGM Crumpled Beer Can
Originally Posted by reido
As long as you get a true tial, you won't notice a difference between the 38 and 44. I've had both on my car with 4 different sized turbos (all full garrets) so far. I also have a backpressure sensor pumbed in and noticed no difference between the two. If the 44 really increased VE, backpressure would have dropped. The 44 will just take a a few more steps to get the wastegate duty feedback sorted out as when it opens it obviously vents more. If you're doing open road racing, which means you're moving to the mainland, then get 44mv as it will run cooler and will thus less prone to fail. There's no way that would be an issue for an autox or drag car though. I would just look for a good deal and use that to choose.

The EWG won't improve the VE as much as a good equal length header though, especially on a small turbine turbo like the 20g. A good equal length will small primaries will decrease spool and pick up power all over. I'm sure Jarrad would agree. But if you like the sound of the ewg, that's understandable so long as you're aware. I've spent my money on worst things.
That's awesome info that you have there. Also good to know about the cooling factor of it. I'm a little confused when you say that the 44 takes "a few more steps to get the wastegate duty feedback sorted out" What would those steps be?

thanks, hopefully not threadjacking here but it's good info!
Old 03-25-2013, 09:12 PM

Car Info: STI
Originally Posted by sigterm
That's awesome info that you have there. Also good to know about the cooling factor of it. I'm a little confused when you say that the 44 takes "a few more steps to get the wastegate duty feedback sorted out" What would those steps be?

thanks, hopefully not threadjacking here but it's good info!
This would only be if you're using an ebc and it depends on the turbo. It wouldn't be an issue with an mbc. Stock ecu uses turbo dynamics basically you give it a range to adapt to different conditions. The 44 requires a bit less because it controls boost so well that a small correction can make boost drop. It'd probably be fast on the dyno as I'm sure most tuners have maps ready to go to pull from. The 38 because of its smaller size isn't as sensitive to the corrections. We are talking five minutes if one is tuning in car. The mbc adapts on its own mechanically so it's the fastest.

Also the new 38s have water cooling for race conditions. I think newer 44s have them too. But the 44 with its larger diameter and surface area should see less heat. It's not an issue a weekend racer should worry about. You'd only have to worry about if the gate is constantly venting like on a road course where the car is at full boost most of the time. The diaphragm can melt.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:27 PM

Car Info: 06 Subaru WRX STI
As long as you get a true tial, you won't notice a difference between the 38 and 44. I've had both on my car with 4 different sized turbos (all full garrets) so far. I also have a backpressure sensor pumbed in and noticed no difference between the two. If the 44 really increased VE, backpressure would have dropped. The 44 will just take a a few more steps to get the wastegate duty feedback sorted out as when it opens it obviously vents more. If you're doing open road racing, which means you're moving to the mainland, then get 44mv as it will run cooler and will thus less prone to fail. There's no way that would be an issue for an autox or drag car though. I would just look for a good deal and use that to choose.

The EWG won't improve the VE as much as a good equal length header though, especially on a small turbine turbo like the 20g. A good equal length will small primaries will decrease spool and pick up power all over. I'm sure Jarrad would agree. But if you like the sound of the ewg, that's understandable so long as you're aware. I've spent my money on worst things.
this makes me change my views a lot. lol i appreciate this reply. like sigterm said this is good info. how well would the ewg be combined with an EL header. ive considered EL headers but i cant stray away from the boxer sound lol. love it too much.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:31 PM

This would only be if you're using an ebc and it depends on the turbo. It wouldn't be an issue with an mbc. Stock ecu uses turbo dynamics basically you give it a range to adapt to different conditions. The 44 requires a bit less because it controls boost so well that a small correction can make boost drop. It'd probably be fast on the dyno as I'm sure most tuners have maps ready to go to pull from. The 38 because of its smaller size isn't as sensitive to the corrections. We are talking five minutes if one is tuning in car. The mbc adapts on its own mechanically so it's the fastest.
"The 44 requires a bit less because it controls boost so well that a small correction can make boost drop." could you explain this a little bit more? i keep reading it over and over, hard to fully wrap my head around it. maybe its my lack of knowledge on ewg's. i understand the mbc vs ebc.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:54 PM

Car Info: grandmas car
Someone has an el header and mbc for sale hint hint whoops, stay on topic!

/end shameless self plug
Old 03-25-2013, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by dysfunctnl doll
Someone has an el header and mbc for sale hint hint whoops, stay on topic!

/end shameless self plug
as i seen your name under the thread i was thinking, i bet shes gna offer me that EL header. hahaha.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by SUMATIC808
as i seen your name under the thread i was thinking, i bet shes gna offer me that EL header. hahaha.
Damn, you know me too well....and we've never even met haha. Geez, I'm getting too predictable here:P
Old 03-25-2013, 11:17 PM

haha well maybe you should sell that flywheel to me and i can meet you to see the turbo also.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:15 AM

haha well maybe you should sell that flywheel to me and i can meet you to see the turbo also.
Still clinging to the hope that someone will buy them both. But we shall see....
Old 03-26-2013, 01:44 AM

Car Info: 2007 STi GTX3076R
"The 44 requires a bit less because it controls boost so well that a small correction can make boost drop." could you explain this a little bit more? i keep reading it over and over, hard to fully wrap my head around it. maybe its my lack of knowledge on ewg's. i understand the mbc vs ebc.
I think he is trying to say is because the 44 is larger then 38 it can bypass more exhaust gases.

Last edited by zer0shift; 03-26-2013 at 01:56 AM. Reason: new
Old 03-26-2013, 08:53 AM

Car Info: CGM Crumpled Beer Can
Thanks reido, brings things into perspective a bit more after that. Appreciate the reply.