i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Hawaii (https://www.i-club.com/forums/hawaii-43/)
-   -   06 sti EWG w/stock turbo setup? (https://www.i-club.com/forums/hawaii-43/06-sti-ewg-w-stock-turbo-setup-248348/)

SUMATIC808 01-30-2013 08:10 PM

06 sti EWG w/stock turbo setup?

just curious. ive done little to some research on ewg's.
was possibly thinking about going this route on my 06 sti for some good gains but was wondering if it'd be worth the money.

what exactly do you need to run an ewg setup,
wastegate, ebcs, ewg uppipe, injectors, fuel pump, protune...(did i miss anything) heres the main question(s) is it really necessary to upgrade injetors? would the stock injectors be okay with the setup? if not, what size injectors might i need? and would it be okay to run a cobb AP tune?

what im aiming for is best bang for the buck. its my daily driver and im really not interested in looking into a bigger turbo.

Alliedforces86 01-30-2013 08:25 PM

Stock turbo will be fine for a ewg setup. Though you'd need to get a custom tune from a tuner. Cobb doesn't have an off the shelf tune for ewg that I'm aware of.. Stock injectors should be fine to. It's all in the tune..

SUMATIC808 01-30-2013 08:33 PM

how much of a gain would i see.
would i benefit more from bigger injectors? not planning to go any further in mods afterwards....maybe not yet. lol

Static Fitment 01-30-2013 08:36 PM

If your running Stock Injectors and just going to be doing Pump Gas then your factory injectors are fine in my opinion. I have been running External Wastegate on Factory VF43 Turbo for years with no problems, but I have upgraded Injectors of course because of E85.

EWG is worth it to me atleast, helps with the boost creep problems for sure. If your looking for a basic setup like your saying, then Full Turbo Back, EWG, Hallman MBC or EBC whatever you prefer, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, and a Good Tune, and Maybe an Intake if you prefer also.
Now when running a EWG Setup, you can go with the brackets to keep the factory wastegate shut, but those tend to come loose over time. I welded my Factory Wastegate shut so I didnt have to worry about that problem.

Here is my 1st-3rd gear pull with the Stock VF43 Turbo and other bolt ons with EWG and E85, So you get the idea exactly.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N641H0Y9Ok]E85 WRX on Stock STi Turbo - YouTube[/ame]

strider327 01-30-2013 08:46 PM

Could get an internal wastegate bracket instead of welding the flapper shut. I believe Grimmspeed sells those. Besides that and the LOUDNESS of the EWG, there are really no downsides.

SUMATIC808 01-30-2013 08:51 PM

damn, love the vid.
but yeah definately looking to do this in the near future.
ill be looking to run my stock UEL headers. do these ewg uppipes bolt up to my stock up pipe? (looking to get the grimmspeed 38mm ewg up pipe)

silverbullet415 01-30-2013 08:58 PM

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEYiSdFu0dg&list=UUP49aCtZFGfJ027OL5lkgpQ&index=3]sti flyby - YouTube[/ame]

here is mine with a 44mm ewg

reido 01-30-2013 09:27 PM

I think that you should be fine on the stock injectors depending on the boost level.
I don't think the EWG will play with the standard Stage II cobb tune because the wastegate duty cycles will be off.

You will likely make more power from a header upgrade if you haven't already done so.
One thing that you may want to consider with the EWG on the stock turbo is how often it will open. I'm sure that you know how loud it is, so that's not a concern. It's really that the vf39 spools so damn fast when you free up the downpipe that you can literally hit full boost at part throttle depending on gear. It's a bit different on a bigger turbo car as you sort of plan your speeding and hence when it opens. It may be opening often.

SUMATIC808 01-30-2013 09:50 PM

[QUOTE=reido;3349611]I think that you should be fine on the stock injectors depending on the boost level.
I don't think the EWG will play with the standard Stage II cobb tune because the wastegate duty cycles will be off.

You will likely make more power from a header upgrade if you haven't already done so.
One thing that you may want to consider with the EWG on the stock turbo is how often it will open. I'm sure that you know how loud it is, so that's not a concern. It's really that the vf39 spools so damn fast when you free up the downpipe that you can literally hit full boost at part throttle depending on gear. It's a bit different on a bigger turbo car as you sort of plan your speeding and hence when it opens. It may be opening often.[/QUOTE]

so with that said, would it be better to run an ewg with a bigger turbo than the stock VF39? money wise a bigger turbo would be a lot longer in the future for me to look in to and a LOT more money to invest.

SUMATIC808 01-30-2013 09:51 PM

[QUOTE=silverbullet415;3349601][url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEYiSdFu0dg&list=UUP49aCtZFGfJ027OL5lkgpQ&index=3]sti flyby - YouTube[/url]

here is mine with a 44mm ewg[/QUOTE]

whats the mods you got?
how do you like the ewg?

SUMATIC808 01-30-2013 09:54 PM

another Q, is there a certain spring combo to use for the setup im looking into? and just for the record im looking into the MV-S TIAL 38mm wastegate.

downsti 01-30-2013 10:04 PM

you will not gain extra power from doing EWG from conservative setup on the stock turbo, tho i will help witht he boostcreep, but then again a very good tune can cure boost creep on internal wastegate, with that said its just an expensive noise maker

its only beneficial when every simple bolt on mods done to car and looking to maxing the hell out of the stock turbo

isaac3388 01-30-2013 10:16 PM

[quote=downsti;3349632]you will not gain extra power from doing ewg from conservative setup on the stock turbo, tho i will help witht he boostcreep, but then again a very good tune can cure boost creep on internal wastegate, with that said its just an expensive noise maker

its only beneficial when every simple bolt on mods done to car and looking to maxing the hell out of the stock turbo[/quote]

+1.....

die_lawn 01-31-2013 12:47 AM

I ran one when I upgraded my 02' to a vf39, just get the grimmspeed bracket from IIR. The $25 invested is better then welding it.

Do the 44mm version. I had a Tial with a grimmspeed up pipe. Loved it

SUMATIC808 01-31-2013 12:47 AM

well basic bolt ons and ridding of boost creep along with quicker spools thats pretty much what im aiming for. and gta love the sound of the setup!