General Tech / How To's / Installations Technical discussions about the USDM 2008+ WRX and WRX STi.

Kartboy Buzzing/Humming sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 09:42 AM

Car Info: STI 2009
Exclamation Kartboy Buzzing/Humming sound

Had my STI OEM short shifter replaced w/ Kartboy + Bushings (combo), over the weekend at my local Subaru service and I'm very please on how crisp and how the shifter throws. The only thing that concerns me is that buzzing/humming sound on the 1st and 2nd gear acceleration and deceleration. The car is a 2009 STI.

I have looked around on different forums, etc., and found that it is a very common symptom, although I'm not really getting a final answer of what it is. All I see is more questions than answers.

- For folks that has 6MT Kartboy shifter w/ bushings combo, Is it really normal to have that buzzing/humming sound?

- Can the sound be eliminated, - if this is a common thing?

- Is it not installed properly?

- Am I putting my transmission on the line?

Please advise,

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2011, 11:38 AM

Car Info: 2010 997.2 GT3
I am pretty familiar with this issue. You can take it in to your dealer and get the whole linkage replaced under warranty. But first try these.

Make sure you lube and torque everything correctly especially the shift lever pivot bolt. Set it to 8ft-lbs because they tend to be overtightened.
Then try greasing the reverse lockout cable because sometimes it gets dry and rubs.

As far as it seems it's somewhat common, and it doesn't seem like your transmission is at risk.