General Tech / How To's / Installations Technical discussions about the USDM 2008+ WRX and WRX STi.

FMIC on 2009?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 01:09 PM

Car Info: 2010 997.2 GT3
Originally Posted by 03'EyeBug
Then why are you rocking a perrin license plate cover haha...

+1 for the TurboXS FMIC, I have one on my 03 and salvaged my foglights with minimal trimming.
I got it for free from speedelement with my EBCS, which well the nozzles broke so I got a Grimmspeed one hahaha. Hey, free stuff is free stuff, it's better than the dealer frame haha
Old 11-14-2010, 09:13 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
talk to the guys on the legacy forum. look for the racer x one. those guys may be able to help you out.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Heedz
talk to the guys on the legacy forum. look for the racer x one. those guys may be able to help you out.
Racer x is good with LGT but not for us 08 wrx's because, you have to cut plastic and some of the metal to make it fit, which is a bit of a nuisance. Also the piping configuration is longer than it needs to be, it has a few unnecessary bends. And I read a while ago that you need a tray or something from subaru to make it fit and sit right. Although you dont have to replace the bumperbeam, or have to trim your bumper. You may have to replace your battery with a smaller one too to clear the pipes. But eh I can't justify the cheap price to compensate for the unnecessary bends or the extra labor. But if you are on a budget for a TMIC then this may be it for you but it seems a bit cheaply built, and lacks R&D imo.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:20 PM

Car Info: 09 WRX E85 tuned
I guess if the process west TMIC is able to keep up with the extra power from a bigger turbo, then it would only make sense to go with it instead of a front FMIC. I do like the way that the FMIC look but I too am more about the function of the part than the looks.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by SDTONORCALWRX
I guess if the process west TMIC is able to keep up with the extra power from a bigger turbo, then it would only make sense to go with it instead of a front FMIC. I do like the way that the FMIC look but I too am more about the function of the part than the looks.
But too don't forget the typical drawback of the TMIC, heat soak. Well every part has it's pros and cons. But for FMIC look into TXS and for TMIC look into process west. These seem the be the most popular choices amongst intercoolers with the 3G community.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:47 PM

Car Info: 2009 WRB WRX Sedan
intercoolers are overrated im just gonna run pipes to my foglight holes.... I think that'll be the best flow hahah. damn you guys I am so broke right now but hopefully in the near future I will be able to do more
Old 11-16-2010, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by hwob90
intercoolers are overrated im just gonna run pipes to my foglight holes.... I think that'll be the best flow hahah. damn you guys I am so broke right now but hopefully in the near future I will be able to do more
Oh also a while ago I did take out my fog on the intake side and since I have a CAI I was convinced it was more efficient bringing in a good source of cold air, eh logical I suppose.

Unfortunately I have had too many fiascos similar to that, when one of the couplers on my TMIC weren't torqued enough. I remember the night I put the TMIC on I drove it around a block or two and heading back up my hill it just cut out. So I pulled over, turned the key and I get a little putter and a rich smell of gas, I scratched my head and found the problem a few minutes later after freaking out. Greatest relief in my life.

Well hwob90 just go do an intercooler on a budget and go to pep boys and make your own hahahaha.

Last edited by Imprezard; 11-16-2010 at 12:54 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:50 AM

Car Info: STi 2008
Hell YEAH!!! I'm hella broke also!
Old 11-21-2010, 02:46 AM

Imprezard-I was just going to kinda do that haha. I was going to get piping cut whatever get the silicone couplers or w.e they are called and get a good core that would fit and make my own mounts. I like mcgyvering or i guess "fabricating on a budget" is a well better term. The funny thing is too I just realized our cars are like twins minus a couple things but yours is by far better then mine haha. Mine is like the beat the **** up version of yours haha
Old 11-21-2010, 04:20 AM

Imprezard-I was just going to kinda do that haha. I was going to get piping cut whatever get the silicone couplers or w.e they are called and get a good core that would fit and make my own mounts. I like mcgyvering or i guess "fabricating on a budget" is a well better term. The funny thing is too I just realized our cars are like twins minus a couple things but yours is by far better then mine haha. Mine is like the beat the **** up version of yours haha
Hahaha yeah not a half bad idea, I would have done that, but I don't have the resources to get a good R&D on an FMIC and etc. AKA I am lazy. hahaha But it would be a neat project if you can sport the time. I'd be impressed if you make the first V-Mount for the 3Gs You should do it! Haha

Yeah really they are pretty much twins, good thing you we chose the best color haha. Well mine has a nice gash on the front bumper it silhouettes the bumper beam. I was driving on 101 S and I was coming from a BMW meet and I got behind this 18 wheeler about to change lanes, and a particle board comes flying underneath the truck, and it nails my bumper. So taking the two speeds into account it was like a 100 mph impact. It scared the **** out of me good thing it didn't go through my window, or I would have been ****ed. And then to top it off my lower front bumper is all scraped from my rallying days. But touch up solved that problem until I get a new bumper. In retrospect, I bet my car is looking worse shape than yours. But regardless of what say about your car I still like it! I want to see it! Actually I just want to get home from school and drive my car haha.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:57 AM

haha were probably in the same route other then the dents in mine haha. When do you get back Im down to do a mini meet other then the 12/11
Old 11-21-2010, 12:09 PM

haha were probably in the same route other then the dents in mine haha. When do you get back Im down to do a mini meet other then the 12/11
I get back on the 23rd at night, I am home till sunday then I go back to school for a week then I am back for winterbreak and I am home for 2 months. But yeah I 'd be down for that, and maybe after go on a drive or something after.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:03 PM

Car Info: 09 wrx
dont get perrin... i have it now and it blows. non of the couplers that i got are long enough (and almost rubbed a hole through one of the pipes), so i had to replace them all and i have "phantom" boost leaks that only happen when my engine is torqued over making them impossible to find when im sitting still in my garage.

im actually contemplating going with a different one myself.