General Tech / How To's / Installations Technical discussions about the USDM 2008+ WRX and WRX STi.

FMIC on 2009?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 12:55 PM

Car Info: 09 WRX E85 tuned
FMIC on 2009?

So I am looking into a new intercooler and I had heard that there is some trouble with putting a FMIC on my car because of the fog lights. I have an 09 WRX with fog lights so I was wondering if any of you have heard that or has anyone put a FMIC on an 08 or later with fog lights? I don't really want a new top mount because that limits me on how far I can take the car with mods. Let me know your thoughts!
Old 11-10-2010, 01:09 PM

Car Info: 2008 WRX
where theres a will theres a way. it can be done.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:52 PM

Fosho! I am sure I can figure it out!
Old 11-10-2010, 06:37 PM

Car Info: 2010 997.2 GT3
I have the Turboxs FMIC, I love it, and it is cheaper than the Perrin one, and overall better quality. The old perrin kit you could not use with fogs. You can always go with the Process west TMIC. Those are proven to be almost as effective. Well here is my car for reference. I did do a ****ty hack job on cutting out my bumper but I sanded it down now. Personally I am not a fan of Perrins high prices and terrible craftsmanship. But hey thats just me.

Name:  DSC01353.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  151.5 KB
Name:  DSC00560.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  90.0 KB
Name:  DSC00538.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  172.1 KB
Old 11-10-2010, 06:49 PM

Car Info: 2009 wrx
+1 for the turbo xs. But if you want stealth and less lag, go with the process west. I've heard nothing but amazing things about it and you won't limit flow to your radiator with the addition of a front mount
Old 11-10-2010, 06:57 PM

Car Info: 2010 Impreza 2.5i Premium Boosted
Thats sooo sick. I love the way they look. Anybody with a DGM +08 that has a FMIC, I will trade you hoods with cash ontop. I do not have to scoop and i know it is pointless on a 2.5i but i LOVE how they look. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Papa Bear
+1 for the turbo xs. But if you want stealth and less lag, go with the process west. I've heard nothing but amazing things about it and you won't limit flow to your radiator with the addition of a front mount
The only thing is the slow production with process west or well slow to import. I talked to RallySportDirect and they get them in waves, but that was a while ago, I would have gone that route if I wasn't so anxious to upgrade the turbo. But regardless I am happy.

But hey you can always go the V-Mount route
Old 11-12-2010, 12:22 PM

Sounds like Turbo XS is the way to go! I too think that Perrin has a little high prices... So where is the best place to get the turbo xs tmic?
Old 11-12-2010, 12:41 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
Why do you need a fmic, what power modsore you running, is your turbo over a 20g in size? If you are on a stock turbo or a vf series turbo you really have no need to run a FMIC (but they do look sick!) I run a blacked out fmic with my 04 and I love it but I need it for the power i'm making, if I did not need a fmic I would be on a tmic for sure!! less looks from the cops.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by SDTONORCALWRX
Sounds like Turbo XS is the way to go! I too think that Perrin has a little high prices... So where is the best place to get the turbo xs tmic?
I got mine from cygnus performance, Geoff is a great guy there and shipping is quick as hell!

Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
Why do you need a fmic, what power modsore you running, is your turbo over a 20g in size? If you are on a stock turbo or a vf series turbo you really have no need to run a FMIC (but they do look sick!) I run a blacked out fmic with my 04 and I love it but I need it for the power i'm making, if I did not need a fmic I would be on a tmic for sure!! less looks from the cops.
Well you don't know his situation, I did the same I got mine originally and ran it on the stock TD04 for a month or so, until I got my 3.0XTR in. I think for his case I am sure he will get to a turbo over 20g eventually, and probably doesn't see a point in getting a TMIC then having it sit in his garage or have to sell it and then get a FMIC when he could have do that in the first place. Nonetheless, you are right cali, but if it is for future purposes, I say go for it if you really want to.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:36 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
^ true, that's also why I asked what mods he has done to the car, we will see when he answers my question haha
Old 11-12-2010, 04:20 PM

I have thought about the TMIC but as you all said you don't know my mods. I have a stock turbo but I will eventually upgrade it for sure. That is the reason I want to go with the FMIC. I know that you are limited with the TMIC... I don't want to back myself into a corner. You know?
Old 11-12-2010, 04:31 PM

I know Perrin stuff is a bit over priced but I am not really worried about the price as I Really like the way their FMIC looks. The black one with red hoses is sooo sick! My question is, what is the performance like? Are they worth a S***?
Old 11-13-2010, 09:13 PM

I have thought about the TMIC but as you all said you don't know my mods. I have a stock turbo but I will eventually upgrade it for sure. That is the reason I want to go with the FMIC. I know that you are limited with the TMIC... I don't want to back myself into a corner. You know?
Well don't count out process west, really check them out, there are a million threads on it on 3gwrx.com. Check out here too http://www.processwest.com.au/websit...w_p_08tmic.htm

I mean a TMIC can perform just as well the only way you will limit yourself with a TMIC is if you get a TMIC with the 2 bolt flange. So the AVO or Perrin TMIC. But process west works with either.

I know Perrin stuff is a bit over priced but I am not really worried about the price as I Really like the way their FMIC looks. The black one with red hoses is sooo sick! My question is, what is the performance like? Are they worth a S***?
Well if you want it for the color, you can always get it painted, Really TXS produces better products. Perrin is great but the quality is in question, I have gone through so many threads with Perrin's headers costing so much and having terrible welds or the Turbo inlets are cut too short and etc. I mean you can go with Perrin, I don't know the differences between TXS and Perrin in performance, I am sure they are similar, but TXS is cheaper and I know makes quality parts. But I would like to have my parts function rather than have them look nice and not function
Old 11-13-2010, 09:55 PM

Car Info: WRB 03(sold) AW 03(sold) 02 Taco!
Originally Posted by Imprezard
Personally I am not a fan of Perrins high prices and terrible craftsmanship. But hey thats just me.
Then why are you rocking a perrin license plate cover haha...

+1 for the TurboXS FMIC, I have one on my 03 and salvaged my foglights with minimal trimming.

Quick Reply: FMIC on 2009?