General Tech / How To's / Installations Technical discussions about the USDM 2008+ WRX and WRX STi.

Boost Addict's 08 WRX Project - 233whp/334wtq - Pics, Vids, Dyno

Old 01-26-2010, 10:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
Originally Posted by Julio Bro!
I see you put much more wider tires than the original 225/45s. I can't see much difference in the pics; could you have a side pic, closer to the floor from the front in line with fenders?

I would like to see how much they stick out of the lower body. I'm planning on 235/45s and I saw one tire that size today, it seem a bit too wide...but I'm not sure.
Your offsets and wheel width will matter more in that case. I'm running 255/40-17 and they would tag the front and rear fender upon compression had I not rolled them. But I am also on Rota G-Force 17x8 with a +45 offset.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:54 PM
VIP Member

Hey everyone. I've got a quick update that I thought was neat!

Anyone who's known my car intimately has known about my cloudy headlight issue. Basically, I tried some pre-production wet application tint that was supposed to give the headlamps a blue-ish hue. I did it simply for R&D purposes. Well it was supposed to cure in 2 hours, but instead took 3 days. With all the driving, dust and little bugs got stuck in my headlight lenses and the finish was simply disgusting.

So I used this solvent that was supposed to take it off. No dice. I went out a bought a headlight restoration kit that consisted of some polish and 3 levels of fine grit sand paper. That definitely took off the blue stuff but left my headlights micro-scratched and cloudy. For a while I tolerated it and didn't let it bother me. Just 2 weeks ago, I had my Ings+1 grille repainted a gloss black. Why? Because it was professionally done with PPG and cost me nothing. The bad news upon re-installing the grille was that it's gorgeous luster immediately made my headlights look like absolute crap.

Well I finally decided to give another product a try. I found it on Pep Boys' Clearance bin for like $5 thinking 'oh, what the hell'. It's this stuff right here:

Name:  ccp-pol-100_w.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  18.3 KB

It's a simple kit that consists of 6 stick-back foam discs with a polish applied to one side. It also includes the plastic disc that goes on one end of your household drill that the foam pads adhere to. That's it. You mist water on the polish and go for it... if it gets dry, you re-mist and keep working it. If someone can do this in 5 minutes, I tip my hat off to you. It took me 20-30 to mask both lenses and polish them. But I must say, the result was STAGGERING! I did not expect a $5 headlight restoration kit to being my headlights back to crisp clarity. I even took some shots for you guys.

Name:  HeadlightComparo1.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  53.9 KB
Name:  HeadlightComparo2.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  65.1 KB
Name:  HeadlightComparo3.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  58.6 KB

So if anyone's got some lens clarity issues. Give this stuff a try! I have no other updates aside from Motul becoming our newest sponsor. They will be supplying me with Motul 300V 5w-40 motor oil and 300 75w-90 gear oil. Both are pure ester! I will follow up with oil analysis as the time comes. I am anxiously waiting for the fluids to arrive.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:54 AM

Car Info: WRX 2009
Originally Posted by Boost Addict
Your offsets and wheel width will matter more in that case. I'm running 255/40-17 and they would tag the front and rear fender upon compression had I not rolled them...
Mine is a 2009 WRX with the dark gray wheels, which are almost flush to the lower part of the fenders in line of sight, but there's some space to use. The OEM 225/45s leave a lot of space to the fenders edge. I'm staying with these wheesl and buying G-Force 235/45. From your pics I guess they won't stick out much and there should be no trouble with the fender's edge.

Something about the OEM exhaust resonator, did you get a look inside? Is it straight flo-thru or something else? It looks like a glasspack from the outside.

Oh, some info for you. At the beggining I saw you used a K&N intake; apparently they found some improvement by moving the MAF farther from the filter and the new version put's it closer to the end of the tube. The site indicates more gains from that change, you might want to check it out.

Last edited by Julio Bro!; 01-31-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:05 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Julio Bro!
Mine is a 2009 WRX with the dark gray wheels, which are almost flush to the lower part of the fenders in line of sight, but there's some space to use. The OEM 225/45s leave a lot of space to the fenders edge. I'm staying with these wheesl and buying G-Force 235/45. From your pics I guess they won't stick out much and there should be no trouble with the fender's edge.

Something about the OEM exhaust resonator, did you get a look inside? Is it straight flo-thru or something else? It looks like a glasspack from the outside.

Oh, some info for you. At the beggining I saw you used a K&N intake; apparently they found some improvement by moving the MAF farther from the filter and the new version put's it closer to the end of the tube. The site indicates more gains from that change, you might want to check it out.
Good luck with the tire set up. Alignment also plays a huge role in how you clear the fender. So keep those variables in mind.

I do not recall what the oem exhaust looked like inside.

Thanks for the information on the K&N intake. Although, I no longer use the unit. With the Dom 3 XT-R, I stepped it up to a KS Tech 73mm MegaMAF Intake.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:35 AM

Car Info: 05 OBP LGT LTD. Sedan
your trunks a beast. just wish i could afford it!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:07 AM

Car Info: WRX 2009
Originally Posted by Boost Addict
Good luck with the tire set up. Alignment also plays a huge role in how you clear the fender. So keep those variables in mind...
The tire fit was great and I think it looks better than before, but there's something. I noticed negative camber on the rear wheels; something I saw before, but with the new tires it's more evident.

The front wheels are perpendicular to the floor, which gives a more flush look with the body. The rear camber makes more space between the fender and the top of the tire. The bottom of the tire/wheel looks better, more like the fronts.

Is this the OEM setup for the WRX or should I tell the tecs to fix it? Can it be adjusted only for the top?

Last edited by Julio Bro!; 02-16-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:30 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by imprezachiang
your trunks a beast. just wish i could afford it!
We have several in stock! PM me an offer!

----

Julio-

It's hard to tell just by the way it looks. I'd recommend a professional corner balance, or at the very least, an alignment to ensure your wear will be normal.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:39 PM
VIP Member

News:

I've been extremely busy recently and haven't had a chance to update the threads. The WRX is limping right now and we don't know the exact cause. I hate to do this to everyone, but it may be a little while before we find the opportunity to take everything apart.

It all started with a misfire on cylinder 2 and pulling off the road. We diagnosed it down to the spark plug. The following night, we changed all spark plugs to discover that the spark plug on 2 was toast! The insulator was shattered within.

On the following day, the car performed well. So we drove it to our tuner just to make sure the knock sensitivity and all are still in check. About 15 miles in, we felt hesitation at boost and again misfire! But this time, we heard something clattering around in the engine... We immediately pulled off the road and towed it home. There were no oil or coolant leaks, no thrown rods or pistons... None of the components in the short block have failed. So what keeps happening?

Some ideas are that the injector on that cylinder may be failing, and thus, causing a lean condition which results in detonation, blowing out the plug. The clattering we heard may have been pieces of the shattered insulator in the cylinder bank. So it is very possible that we may have some collateral damage aside from a simple injector failure.

Plan of Action:

We will pull the plugs and check the damage. We will perform a compression test. If cylinder 2 shows any issue, we will run a leak down test to try and pinpoint the problem.

We will also send out the injectors to Deatschwerks for testing to find the culprit.

If no collateral damage was caused, we will replace the injectors, spark plugs, and hit the road.

However, if any damage was caused that entails pulling the block, we will not simply repair and replace. We will send it out to be reconditioned and built with forged pistons, stronger forged rods, race bearings, etc... We would like the block to be capable of handling over 500whp. At which point, we will increase the level of boost on the Dom 3.0 XT-R and aim for over 400whp on CA-91 pump gas.

At this point, I just wanted to keep the community informed. And while we can speculate endlessly as to the cause of what happened, we simply do not know until we complete some of these tests. I have another car that I drive around, so I'm leaving the WRX to sit until we find the appropriate time to execute our plan of action. I apologize in advance if it takes us a while to get some answers, but the WRX will be up and running again soon enough! For now, my primary time and focus will remain on Treble Racing and ensuring that our customers are taken care of first. So if I can help with anything, please PM me!
Old 02-23-2010, 10:33 PM

Car Info: 2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
Good luck, and I hope everything works out for the best!
Old 02-25-2010, 06:39 PM

Car Info: 05 wrb wrx wagon
damn that sucks. hope everything gets worked out soon.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:05 AM

Car Info: 2008 WRX
I love your build and write-up! How does the TurboXS CBE compare to the SPT one? Is it noticeably louder with the 3inch rather than 2.5?
Old 02-26-2010, 02:42 PM

Car Info: 09 WRB WRX GE Premium
^ i wanna know if the air flow has a big significance for the turboxs
Old 02-26-2010, 02:56 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX
Great build and write up! I just screwed my engine too haha so I am looking forward to your fix.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:50 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by eclipsefirenos
Good luck, and I hope everything works out for the best!
Originally Posted by mokeOne
damn that sucks. hope everything gets worked out soon.
Thanks for the best wishes guys!

Originally Posted by SJwrx08
I love your build and write-up! How does the TurboXS CBE compare to the SPT one? Is it noticeably louder with the 3inch rather than 2.5?
Originally Posted by JaysImpreza
^ i wanna know if the air flow has a big significance for the turboxs
The TurboXS is awesome.

Already wrote a full review on page 14 (first post, #196): https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...196968&page=14

Originally Posted by norcal22
Great build and write up! I just screwed my engine too haha so I am looking forward to your fix.
Sorry to hear that man. I'll definitely drop all details here.

---

Quick Update!

An overview of things to come:

- Closed deck EJ25 shortblock
- JE forged pistons
- H-beam connecting rods
- Race Bearings
- Performance Head Gaskets
- ARP headstuds

- KS Tech tgv delete kit
- KS Tech air pump delete kit
- Deatschwerks 1000cc injectors