Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

Lifespan of a Catalytic Converter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:06 AM

Car Info: Outback Sport 2000
Lifespan of a Catalytic Converter?

MY CAR: 2000 OBS with NO mods - totally stock. 130K, manual tranny.

The great state of New Mexico is no longer reading "actual" emissions by plugging into the tailpipe and sniffing it, but rather they are just getting codes from the engine computer.

Bummer for me, as I've been running with an on again off again CEL for over a year, and thought I had the problems licked by getting a few minor tune-up-y adjustments (plug wires and seals) done and just last week replaced the Neutral Switch for an Idle/Throttle code 1507 I was getting.

I am still getting a CEL, unfortunately, and I think its the pesky P0420 one, which is preventing me from passing emissions.

I have NOT replaced either O2 sensor, but the dealer tells me the cat converter is next to go and that after 130K its a wonder it hasn't been replaced already.

To sum up, do cats go after so many miles or years? I am NOOB in the car dept, so I know that clutches go after 80-120K, etc, but never heard about a routine replacement of a cat converter. Just wanted to see if this is normal and if there is any way I can CONFIRM that mine is really dead.

Based on what I've heard on other forums, I should tell them to replace the front O2 sensor, then the rear, to see if that does it, and ignore their talk about the cat converter as long as I can.

Gotta pass emissions - I'm currently overdue on registration! out:

Thank you....

Andrea
Old 02-11-2008, 01:33 PM

Car Info: 06 OBP Stage 2 Wag
i have a 2002 rs and both of the stock cats are gone have to get them replaced along with the 02 sensors
Old 02-17-2008, 08:39 AM

Car Info: 1995 GX Wagon AWD EJ18
The cats life will be dictated roughly by their mileage as its the volume of exhaust gases that passed through them that will eventually clog them up and coat the reactive part in them. Unless you've been putting other nasties in your fuel tank that kills them prematurely. The only way to tell if the cat has lost its ability to treat the exhaust gasses effectively is to take it to someone who can read the exhaust emissions from the exhaust pipe and tell you if the car passes the set standards.

As for O2 sensors, from memory the newer ones last about 80,000miles. The sensor before the cat tells your engine comp if it should use more or less fuel. If this is not responding well then it might be causing the engine to use more fuel then it should thus overworking the cat with un burnt hydrocarbons. The one after your cat tells your engine comp if the cat is working well and is the one which you think is generating the code.

Best bet would be to read the code first to see what it really is. Then get the exhaust analysed to see if the cat is working properly. Then take it from there. If cat is working ok then it must be a faulty after cat O2 sensor causing the code. If exhaust is bad then it might be the cat or first O2 sensor. No point changing the O2 sensors first, as they might be fine.

Good luck

This might be a good read for you on the basics of emission parts
http://tinyurl.com/ey4bk
Old 02-19-2008, 09:42 AM

Andrea, also have a read of this, some good info in here

http://www.aa1car.com/library/converter.htm
Old 02-19-2008, 05:25 PM

Car Info: 02 Imp. 2.5rs
Originally Posted by loccomoffo
The cats life will be dictated roughly by their mileage as its the volume of exhaust gases that passed through them that will eventually clog them up and coat the reactive part in them. Unless you've been putting other nasties in your fuel tank that kills them prematurely
I started using Lucas brand fuel injector treatment on my 02 at around 60k miles. It took about 20k miles after that with continuous use of it before I experienced negative cat and sensors readings, which eventually led to total falier, and total system replacement.
They have this bs guaranty on the product too. Wished I'd called them on it.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:03 PM

Wow that didn't last long at all, maybe the Lucas treatment was safe when used just once and not continuously?? Another thing that will kill your cat prematurely is running a rich mixture as there will be more hydrocarbons passed into the cat.

My car has just done 170,000miles and I think the cat has just gone in it, i mean totally as in blocked as the car is not responding well and is using lots of fuel. Am about to test the exhaust back pressure to see if this is the case. If my '95 had an O2 sensor after the cat it might have been showing that the cat is on the way out a long time ago

As for O2 sensors, I just found out recently that using non 'sensor safe' silicone can damage your O2 sensor. That’s using it anywhere where lube oil comes in contact with it, as the oil then gets burnt up on the cylinder walls and passed onto the O2 senors.