Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

atp gt3076r....

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 03:49 AM

Car Info: 3" bellmounth dp, hks exhausts&fmic, cobb ap v2
Originally Posted by PikkaGTR
good luck with your setup and keep us udate w/numbers!
fo sho homie i will keep you guys informed on my progress with my new set-up. i so anxious myself can't do anything but just wait till next week, trust me im dying just to feel more power in my subie so i can fall in love all over again
Old 07-15-2008, 12:22 PM

Car Info: 94 Integra beater: one Slow 3 Series RIP EvoX
fall in love again?
you should be in love with your Suby all the time!

HAHA
Old 07-16-2008, 01:43 AM

fall in love again?
you should be in love with your Suby all the time!

HAHA
haha yeah true dat! im just gonna love it even more than i did since she's gonna be pushing alot more power than before hehe. couple more dayz till she's upgraded. im just like a little kid that is so impaitent right now i wanna feel how 400hp feels like in my subie...
Old 07-18-2008, 04:08 AM

so guys its freaken killin me....that my parts are takin so dam long to get here in vegas...the shop says i garrentee i will have it installed on monday. so so long from now then he'll set it up to get it tuned at dyno comp in scottsdale arizona...atleast i know that dyno comp looks like an awsome facility to get it tuned. i've been reading up on there operation about why there dyno place is more accurate and more detailed than others.

anyone here got there subies tuned at dyno comp? just wanted to know your experience...im not sure yet if i have to get my car towed there from vegas or its okay to drive it with my new parts installed...cuz im asuming that with the new bigger injectors installed it's gonna run really wierd maybe even not safe enough to drive that far...well imma call them 2morrow maybe they can send me a map i can i download to my accessport so i can drive it to arizona.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
I was tuned by Dyno Comp, they are outstanding. Trailer the car there, you do not want to drive it untuned and there is no Acessport map for your setup.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by meilers
I was tuned by Dyno Comp, they are outstanding. Trailer the car there, you do not want to drive it untuned and there is no Acessport map for your setup.
thanks for the input...yeah i just spoke with my shop and i guess dnyo comp didn't get back with him about an answer on either its safe to drive it or should we trailer my car....yeah i'd rather trailer my car myself too imma go to the shop and let him know about it.

wat's your set-up if you don't mind me askin, were you satisfied with your dnyo results? how much do they charge you? just so i know wat to expect. thanks alot!
Old 07-23-2008, 09:36 AM
VIP Member

I have a really mild setup, just a TBE, up-pipe, STI intercooler and a snorkel removal. My 02 WRX has had gearbox and differential work three times so far (yet the clutch is still good -- it isn't the driver!) and I am scared to go over 300 hp because of that. Even then, I get 218 whp out of the factory turbo after a Dyno-Comp tune, and with only 15.8 psi of boost. Rich cuts deals if you do a few things at once, but if you are just going for a tune (no installs) he'll probably charge you $700 or so for the first ECU reflash (the ECUtek software install) and $150 an hour dyno/tuning time. I went this time last year, so I'm not sure what his rates are now.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:27 PM

for that much might as well go for an AP2
Old 07-23-2008, 09:25 PM
VIP Member

for that much might as well go for an AP2
Except for the fact that the AP2 does not have a map for his setup, and therefore would be a waste of money.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:58 AM

I have a really mild setup, just a TBE, up-pipe, STI intercooler and a snorkel removal. My 02 WRX has had gearbox and differential work three times so far (yet the clutch is still good -- it isn't the driver!) and I am scared to go over 300 hp because of that. Even then, I get 218 whp out of the factory turbo after a Dyno-Comp tune, and with only 15.8 psi of boost. Rich cuts deals if you do a few things at once, but if you are just going for a tune (no installs) he'll probably charge you $700 or so for the first ECU reflash (the ECUtek software install) and $150 an hour dyno/tuning time. I went this time last year, so I'm not sure what his rates are now.
i gotta admitt richard from dyno comp is really cool. reason i say that is because in my situation i have no trailer to tow my car from vegas to arizona. so i asked him if he has a basic map for cobb ap v.2 so i can install it and drive my car myself to them safely to get it tuned. he called me back two hours later after i told him my mods on my 06 sti and he made me a custom map e-mailed it to my shop in vegas so they can install it right away so it's driveable. so im gonna see him friday to get my car tuned pretty stoked since i've been waiting over two weeks now for my parts to arrive.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:43 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Except for the fact that the AP2 does not have a map for his setup, and therefore would be a waste of money.
Does the shop not use Cobb's ProTuner software?
Old 07-24-2008, 03:28 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by subie OCD
Does the shop not use Cobb's ProTuner software?
What part of "ECUTek" did you miss? :-) He can use that as a temporary patch, but the final work would be ECUtek, it just gets better results.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:50 PM

What part of "ECUTek" did you miss? :-) He can use that as a temporary patch, but the final work would be ECUtek, it just gets better results.
Why do you think ecutek can get better results? Assuming the tuner can tune both platforms you can get the same results with ecutek as you can using the Cobb AP with a protuned (custom map). Unless the shop does not have Cobbs Protuner software (or does not like it or does not understand it) why would you recommend ecutek?

The AP has so many more advantages, it can hold multiple maps, read CEL codes and is very simple to use/user friendly. Plus - the resale value is very good.

Ecutek on the other hand has none of those advantages, you are stuck with one map unless you carry around a laptop and tactrix cable for additional maps - and selling it is a big hassle - you cant sell the license so the only option to recover some of your money is to find someone that has the same mods as you and swap ecu's + cash.

I used to have ecutek on my old wrx but now I use the AP with a protuned map on my STi - the AP is a much better solution.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:01 PM

Also - if the tuning shop uses the Protuner software and the OP had an accessport, they could email him a basemap as a temporary patch, then do a custom tune.

This can also be done with Open Source, which is free.

I just don't understand why someone would use ecutek when there are much better options. A few years ago, yeah, I can understand because the AP used to not have the ability to custom tune (thats why I went ecutek on my wagon, a custom tune is far better than a generic off the shelf map).
Old 07-24-2008, 10:33 PM

I agree
the Cobb is much more flexible but I won't say that it's better...
to each his own, I was just making a recommendation not trying to start an entire debate
IMHO It makes more sense to me if you ever plan on selling said vehicle while putting it back to stock a few yrs down the road
un-marry the AP and resell for say 400 bucks
so used for 3 yrs say about 100 bucks per yr, not bad

Quick Reply: atp gt3076r....