Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

What is the best exhaust for the WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 10:06 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX TurboXS Stage 4
HEY, YOU REALIZE THIS POST IS IN AT LEAST 2 FORUMS RIGHT?

I went with the TurboXS "Stealth" set up (that's the the full Turbo back kit w/out the muffler). I just ordered the Prodrive Muffler (great sound and not too loud). Generally if it's louder it's going to give you more power, that's the trade off, and it was worth not getting a few extra ponies to keep a lower profile with the cops and my neighbors. I have yet to get it on a dyno and won't until I get a UTEC but the gain in performance is certainly noticeable. The thing is TurboXS really took allot of time to help me over the phone on the installation of my DSB (Dual Stage Boost kit), and even more time talking me through a later boost problem (not related to the DSB) (there was a vacuum hose that had come loose). The point is their product support was excellent. The exhaust I purchased fit like a glove and the instillation was very easy, if time consuming. I've built some cars before and learned a long time ago how important support and a willingness to help the people who buy your products can be and I couldn't be happier with my choice to go with TurboXS.

Hey TurboXS, if your listening, I could use a Job...lol
Old 12-18-2002, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by AntiochCali
I am posting as someone who bought an exhaust that he isn't very happy with.

1. Get an exhaust that has a full 3" from turbo to muffler. Be careful some of the 3" exhausts actually have a 2.5" muffler pipe.

FYI, the Cobb/APS turbo back neck down to 2.5" at the muffler, as does the Turbo XS exhaust. Nobody really complains about this combination not making enough power. Heck, the Scoobysport turbo back is a full 2.5" system and NOBODY complains that it doesn't flow enough. Sure a 3" turbo back will flow better, but there are plenty of people out there find 2.5" exhausts just right for their power needs.
Old 12-18-2002, 04:21 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX TurboXS Stage 4
Almost_Stock Stupid question:

I am currently running that setup. It is the "Stealth" exhaust from TurboXS. I have no actual #'s for you but I can tell a diference. The car seems to have a better torque curve and mayby a bit less lag. I am planning on attaching a ProDrive muffler wich I am sure will free up a good amount of horses, as the stock muffler is now the bottle neck. If you are interested you will have to type this in manually as I don't know how to put up an actual link. The exuast sells for aroud $720.00 but I'm pretty sure the sections and the hi-flow cat can be bought seperatly and may allow you to use that DP you mentioned.

http://www.turboxs.com/

Good luck

Last edited by Andersonwrx; 12-18-2002 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:13 PM

Car Info: 02silverWRXsedan
i got the STi exhaust and im very happy with it. i think it looks better than all the other exhaust systems too, and it fits right in like the stock exhaust system. no hanger problems at all. it did costs 900.00 bucks though and that would be the only downfall