Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

What is the best exhaust for the WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 12:05 PM
J5

Car Info: 05 abp lgt limited
i have the blitz nur spec catback and it rocks! i can feel a little extra hp in the upper rev range, but the sound is awesome. the hks is pretty similar in sound but the blitz is a little deeper. i went back and forth between these two exhausts. chose the blitz because the hks carbon/ti was on back order.

most catback exhausts are going to give you about the same hp, it really depends on the style and sound track that you need to choose from...hope that helps.
Old 12-16-2002, 02:44 PM

Car Info: o2 duburu arr exu
Re: Turbo back

Originally posted by FatJoe
I like the HKS too and I also want to do a turbo back system, but the HKS downpipe sucks. Are there any others that will fit up to the HKS carbon ti?
the hks carbon ti is made to fit the stock downpipe, thus any downpipe made for the us wrx will work (pde, hks, godspeed, etc).

gruppe-s.com is currently doing exhaust packages with either the hks or helix downpipe. the hks carbon ti with helix downpipe is $975. from the looks of it, the helix is a really nice piece. 3" stainless steel with a huge bellmouth opening. the entire downpipe is nice and polished despite the pics on gruppe-s.com showing the bellmouth part unpolished. gruppe-s also posted some dyno plots of the downpipe with exhaust and it yielded ~ +35hp with out any other mods. it also comes with a free resistor mod so you wont get a cel.
Old 12-16-2002, 05:07 PM

Car Info: G35 Coupe (FOR SALE)
Re: me too

Originally posted by subbywrx
I'm also in the hunt for a good exhaust system.

I still want the stock look of the 2 round pipes
out the back, don't want the "typical"
HAMILTON, NJ look of single pipe out the back
with an intake and BOV. he he he

Any suggestions?
Turboxs stealth back. www.turboxs.com
Old 12-16-2002, 06:18 PM

Car Info: 2000 2.5RS Silverthorn
Originally posted by PimpWagon
Hey it's Fuzznuts!
Hahahahahaha
Old 12-17-2002, 04:57 AM

Good sound...decent power...twin pipes...Brullen. If I knew how to post a video I could show you what it sounds like doing a hard launch.
Old 12-17-2002, 01:28 PM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
Unhappy

I am posting as someone who bought an exhaust that he isn't very happy with.

1. Get an exhaust that has a full 3" from turbo to muffler. Be careful some of the 3" exhausts actually have a 2.5" muffler pipe.

2. Get a downpipe with either a divorced wastegate or a bellmouth, this will ensure that it will work with whatever turbo you end up installing.

3. Get an exhaust with a flex joint in it (ex. MRT).

4. Listen to someone elses muffler to see if you like the sound, this is very important.

5. Keep at least one cat because it really smells bad.

6. Get an uppipe with a flex joint.

The above is just my opinion but I bought an expensive aftermarket exhaust and I'm very unhappy with it, it is loud and just doesn't fit right (the rear hanger keeps comming off - looks like it fits but after driving it comes off, bet a flex point would fix this). I also live in constant fear of an exhaust leak.

May the force be with you.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:19 PM

Depends on how much sound your looking for. For a quiet system my vote goes to the Greddy EVO

Quick Reply: What is the best exhaust for the WRX?