Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

TSB: Fuel Smell In Cold Weather - 2002 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 08:11 AM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
Originally Posted by taerron
i took it to camelback. i DON'T recommend you taking your car there at all. they fixed my fuel issue, but caused two more. i had a friend call that dealer the same day and they told him that they have never heard of that issue before. and my car was already sitting there waiting to get fixed. DON"T go there.
Thanks for the reply. I had a bad expereince with Avondale so I won't go ther either. I will probably just fix it myself and put on a new inlet hose at the same time.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:12 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
its about 52* here, 15* warmer than when I usually leave in the morning and I could smell the smell but not as strong as before. I also saw no pooling in the engine bay. Perhaps mine is from being untuned (when I first smelt the smell) and now running a Cobb OTS map in addition to having a slight exhaust leak at the DP/CBE connection.

I plan to investigate more and bring my car in since its under the extended warranty. I do not foresee this being easy though
Old 01-29-2007, 11:17 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX
It is possible that one of your fuel vapor hoses could
be loose going to your fuel filter and may be leaking
or your fuel pump could be bad and needs replacing
if you are noticing a strong or light fuel odor.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:05 AM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza WRX Wagon
Talking Persistence paid off...

SOA and I agreed to split the cost of repairs and I was pretty content with that...until I kept hearing about some of you guys with equal or higher milage getting SOA to cover the whole deal. I called my contact at SOA and she said to mail her a copy of my half of the bill and make a case for myself. She didn't make any promises, but said she'd see what she could do.

About a month later (this past Saturday), I got a check in the mail with a letter thanking me for being their customer. It took some time, but they ended up paying for the whole thing!

The moral of the story is...be that persistent guy. They know it's their fault, but you just have to keep reminding them that it's their responsibility. Do yourself a favor and don't take no for an answer!
Old 02-27-2007, 03:53 PM

Car Info: 2005 STI
I have dealing with the fuel smell, the temperature has changed and I'm not smelling it
anymore. SOA is agreeing to get it fixed, patience, patience and persistance. The are negotiating with the dealership of the cost of the repair, hmmmmmmmmm. Does that mean
every dealership differs on the price of its repairs? Sounds like it.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:26 PM

Car Info: Impreza wrx 02 wagon
Hi I'm new to this site, I have had the smell in my car, I also have called the dealer in Utah and they have sold me the replacement lines for this fix. One thing that I wanted to tell people with the same problem, first I don't know if you have had it fixed or not, if you have not, I want to tell you don't have the dealer do it, it should only take you an afternoon to fix it( without removing the intake manifold. What I did was remove the intercooler, the intake inlet hose, and the other fuel lines. ther are two bolts that are attached to the intake man that are holding the fuel lines on. Once you have disconnected the bolts there is a hose clamp you can see that is attached to the line under, you need a long screw driver for it. Then the others that are near where the inlet hose was. As much as it sucks to do, I took the old fuel lines out by bending them in a half moon shape and there no good anyway, also the on connection that's under the intake can be bent and folded to get out of the way. The new lines will not go in all connected, I took and cut all three that are connected by a fastener and made them individual lines, then just slid them in and wire tied them together. Then connected them in the place they belong, sounds dumb but, I did it in about 4 hours and also with out a dealers cost and with out removing the intake man.