Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

TSB: Fuel Smell In Cold Weather - 2002 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 02:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 CGM WRX Wagon
I brought mine in the other day, and they called that next afternoon and said it was done. I saw something interesting, though. On the copy of the work order that they gave me, it just said "tightened clamps on fuel lines." That kind of scared me a bit. Should I be worried that they just tightened the clamps instead of replacing the lines???
Old 02-06-2004, 03:55 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by VRWRX
On the copy of the work order that they gave me, it just said "tightened clamps on fuel lines." That kind of scared me a bit. Should I be worried that they just tightened the clamps instead of replacing the lines?
Yes. Speak with the service manager and ask if they followed the TSB repair instructions exactly as specified. If not, ask that it be done correctly. If the fix was as simple as just tightening clamps, Subaru of America would have specified just that, which is less labor-intensive and less costly for them.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 02-09-2004, 07:13 AM
VIP Member

Cool, that's what I thought. Thanks!
Old 02-09-2004, 09:34 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Also, print out a copy of the TSB that Peaty posted on the first page of the thread and bring it along when you go back to the dealership.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 02-09-2004, 11:30 AM
VIP Member

I will. I didn't think I had anything to worry about because the dealer knew exactly what I was talking about when I talked to him on the phone. That's a little distrubing...
Old 02-16-2004, 02:13 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Originally posted by deke
FYI, my dealer forgot to connect a vacuum hose after doing the fuel line repair, so that is why my check engine light was on. Two hours of my life are down the drain simply because some careless mechanic forgot to check his work - though I did catch up some reading in the waiting room!
Similar thing happened to me, but it cost me 2 days! At least the second day they gave me a free loaner - LLBean H6! It's a nice car, which I was seriously considering when I bought my WRX wagon. I am even more happy with the WRX choice after spending a day with the Bean...it's nice, but no where near as fun.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: silver MIAMI wrx in the bay area
Originally posted by mexicanpizza
Carlsen Subaru here just checked by motor code on that service bulletin and I was not in the range that needed repair. They were prepared to fix it as a preventative measure.

You guys have the worst dealers ever. Get on the phone to 1-800-SUBARU3 and give 'em hell.

thank for the info
Old 04-11-2005, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by mexicanpizza
Carlsen Subaru here just checked by motor code on that service bulletin and I was not in the range that needed repair. They were prepared to fix it as a preventative measure.

You guys have the worst dealers ever. Get on the phone to 1-800-SUBARU3 and give 'em hell.
Er, well Carlsen Subaru wouldn't do mine during warranty because they couldn't reproduce the problem. Instead, they charged me $80 to check the fuel tank and pipes. I still have the problem and I'm now outside of warranty. So, unless I want to pay for it myself, or a recall gets issued, I'm screwed - thanks Carlsen.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:51 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX WAGON
I'm glad I found this link - and I'm kicking myself for not looking earlier. Dealers are bastards.

I've been trying to get to the source of this gas smell problem since my first winter in 2002. Every winter I took my car in to try and find the source of my problem and my dealer and repair shop would just look at me like I was on crack.

The smell is so bad some times that it makes me sick - I've just been diagnosed with Lou Gherig's disease and maybe these gas fumes were a contributing factor.

Took my car in just last spring for my 72,000 check up and specifically asked about this problem. It was a warm day so the service dept just noted on the work order "problem could not be replicated" - *******.

This is what is so amazing about the internet- sharing of information. Now I can go back with the TSB bulletin and go "In your face!". It's like I'm playing poker and was just dealt a royal flush.

Thanks guys.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:29 AM

Car Info: 02' WRX
My dealer wants to charge me $450 for the damn repair... Anyone have a do it yourself kind of thing?
Old 12-11-2005, 05:46 AM

Car Info: WRX 02 Silver wagon
Well i live in Vegas and it gets cold.... but not as cold as the rest of the country.... just got back from a short cold trip in the car... got out....... and the entire street smelled way worse than a pumping station.... all fresh gas and under the hood.... so i guess this happens even not in the coldest weather.

Now for trying to get the dealership to take care of it. im at 41000 miles... any chance of it u think?? I really cant afford to get it fixed... i just got laid off from my job, and the holidays and all. So should i try to shmuze them down at the dealership... or should i just call SOA now. lol but still serious, Im soooo broke!!

Quick Reply: TSB: Fuel Smell In Cold Weather - 2002 WRX