Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

TSB: Fuel Smell In Cold Weather - 2002 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 03:34 PM

Car Info: 2004 Sti
Has anyone had any experience getting this TSB honored on an 04 STi? I have the same problem, but haven't seen a lot of cases on the Sti documented. I've tried tightening the fuel line myself, but no luck.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:58 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
In your case Matt, I think you might be better off just taking it in "blind." The other possibility is to compare part numbers of the fuel tube and line in the original EJ20 TSB. If the part numbers match the pre-TSP parts on the EJ20, which is quite possible, then they should fix ti up. The TSB was issues shortly after the release of the STi though and before you got yours, so there's a good chance you have updated parts already. Also, didn't this first appear not long after they tore down your intake manifold chasing another problem?
Old 11-30-2006, 11:18 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Question from a new guy here: A TSB is NOT a recall, correct? I bought a used WRX this summer and it is very high mileage. So far it has been running well and I'm pleased...but it gets pretty darn cold here in CO and I am smelling gas so strong now that I can literally taste it on my tongue.

A TSB doesn't mandate that the dealership repair a problem for free, does it? If there isn't a chance that my local dealer will fix this (and fix it correctly!) for free, then I'll just take it to my local mechanic who only works on Subarus. I think the local dealer here has stopped taking cash and just asks for blood or organs when your bill comes up
Old 12-01-2006, 07:44 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 CGM WRX Wagon
That's correct. If the car is out of warranty the dealer is under no obligation to fix it for free. Some people have had some luck getting them to so it's worth a shot, but it's probably not likely.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:50 AM

Car Info: sold 2012 wrx sedan (sold 02 WRX wagon)
I just had my '02 WRX with 55,000 miles fixed under warranty. I emailed the dealer and asked about the fuel smell TSB. He checked with the SOA rep and they agreed to fix it, even though it's out of warranty, since it's a safety issue.

Took them over 6 hours to do the work. It's worth talking to the dealer before you pay out of pocket for the repair.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:01 AM

Mine is getting worse. Originally, it took freezing temperatures to provoke the problem. Carlsen would not perform the TSB for free because they could not reproduce the problem in SF Bay area temperatures.

However, it has got worse, and now leaks even in 50 degree temperatures. The car has > 90,000 miles on it so I'm SOL and will have to cover costs myself.

My advice: anyone who has an earlier WRX and is still in warranty should try to get this TSB performed regardless of whether they smell fuel because it may start to leak later once you are out of warranty.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:53 AM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza WRX Wagon
I'm in the same boat as y'all. I'm getting the runaround from SOA and the dealership with the whole "recreating" the problem bull. I noticed the problem for the first time last night, called SOA and the dealer this morning, but they won't be able to look at it until next Wednesday - when the weather is supposed to warm up drastically! I know they try to save money but come on! It's not like these are isolated instances...it's an obvious design flaw that they don't want to own up to. I've got my appointment for next Wednesday and I'll let y'all know how it turns out. Other than this, though, I love my WRX. Nothing like turbo-awd in the North Carolina Mountains!
Old 12-13-2006, 12:54 PM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza WRX Wagon
Just heard from the dealership...SOA is willing to go in half with me on the total bill of $440. I guess I count that as a win, considering my car is WAY out of warranty (just turned 55k). Maybe I could've been tougher and gotten more covered, but I'm pretty content with this outcome. Hopefully others in the same boat can use my experience as precedent!

FYI, the dealership is Prestige Subaru in Asheville, NC. Sam Carpenter is the service manager and he was a reasonable guy to talk to.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:19 PM

That's a pretty good result. At least SOA are helping you out.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Lorry
Mine is getting worse. Originally, it took freezing temperatures to provoke the problem. Carlsen would not perform the TSB for free because they could not reproduce the problem in SF Bay area temperatures.

However, it has got worse, and now leaks even in 50 degree temperatures. The car has > 90,000 miles on it so I'm SOL and will have to cover costs myself.

My advice: anyone who has an earlier WRX and is still in warranty should try to get this TSB performed regardless of whether they smell fuel because it may start to leak later once you are out of warranty.

just had my tsb peformed at 91k(at no cost). having it done regardless will prove to be difficult in some places. by the time i got soa involved, they wanted me to let the dealer prove that the leak actually existed. i had to wait since may before i can get the dealer involved.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by taerron
just had my tsb peformed at 91k(at no cost). having it done regardless will prove to be difficult in some places. by the time i got soa involved, they wanted me to let the dealer prove that the leak actually existed. i had to wait since may before i can get the dealer involved.
Nice job - congrats on getting SOA to cover it.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:54 AM

For the record, my car is now leaking gas even on frosty mornings - nowhere near the < 14F that the Subaru TSB suggests.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:07 PM

yeah, my car was leaking when it hit the high 30's. all soa wanted was for the dealer to see the problem first hand.

i started my car at 0615 and drove 10miles home. then at about 0700, i drove to the dealer which is about 20 miles away in morning traffic and when i got to the dealer, you could still smell the fuel. so that <140 secs was total bs too
Old 12-30-2006, 09:24 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
taerron,

what dealer did you got to in AZ? Thanks
Old 12-31-2006, 10:50 AM

i took it to camelback. i DON'T recommend you taking your car there at all. they fixed my fuel issue, but caused two more. i had a friend call that dealer the same day and they told him that they have never heard of that issue before. and my car was already sitting there waiting to get fixed. DON"T go there.

Quick Reply: TSB: Fuel Smell In Cold Weather - 2002 WRX