Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

TSB: Fuel Smell In Cold Weather - 2002 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 01:11 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon - Blue
FYI, my dealer forgot to connect a vacuum hose after doing the fuel line repair, so that is why my check engine light was on. Two hours of my life are down the drain simply because some careless mechanic forgot to check his work - though I did catch up some reading in the waiting room!
Old 01-20-2004, 11:46 AM

Car Info: Blaze yellow WRX 2002
Remember man if you guys are under warranty you really should get free rental cars from Subaru unbtil they have the problem fixed. I got it so you all should too.

I am just tired of Subaru not dealing with the problems in the way they should. Make a recal or else somebody might die due to a fire caused by the leak. Come on now.

I am seriously considering another car. Sat in a Mazda 3 and a Mazda RX8 yesterday. Also took a look at the Acura TSX. Just looking cause Subaru has not been doing it for me as of late.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
is it safe to assume that these changes are incorporated on '03 and newer cars? My '03 once had this problem when I was visiting Tahoe. I have remote start, started the car and let it warm up for about 5 minutes. as soon as I got in the car, the interior had a nasty fuel/exhaust smell. at the time, i just assumed it was due to a catless up-pipe and exhaust fumes getting into the cabin.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by snoword
I have also been having a problem with cluch chatter that they can never seem to reproduce when i take it to the dealer.
Snoword, is this the clutch issue on early WRX's? If so I had it and had it fixed. I had similar problems repeating it for the dealer, but found it would happen more consistently when going down hill. Let me explain, my car made the noise at about 3 - 4 grand in 2 or 3rd gear. Start by coasting down a hill in a resonable gear for your speed, let out the clutch and there was the noise the mechanic could not deny!
Old 01-27-2004, 11:59 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Folks, stay on-topic, use Private Messaging, or start a new thread in the approprate forum, thanks.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 01-28-2004, 08:04 PM

Sorry!!!

Been two weeks since the repair and many cold days with zero gas smell! By golly it worked!
Old 02-02-2004, 07:33 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
If you can smell gasoline with the hood open and the engine has not been running since overnight, it is fuel puddling from a leak.

Don't use a propane lantern or a match to look for the leak.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 02-03-2004, 06:57 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 CGM WRX Wagon
The first dealer I called about the problem had no idea what I was talking about, so I just called another dealer and they knew exactly what needed to be done. As a matter of fact, I'm bringing my car today to have this fixed. Hopefully it will be done quickly. It would be nice if they didn't have to have my car for a couple weeks like some others on here.

If going to another dealer is not an option, then just print out the TSB that was posted earlier in this thread and show it to them. They can't really do anything but fix it at that point.

About the CEL: Mine is on now too, but I have a feeling that it's the gas cap. I swear that sensor is bad because this is like the fourth time it has come on. And it always comes on about half-way through a tank of gas - never right after I fill up (when you think it should notice it being loose first).

Hope that helped...
Old 02-03-2004, 09:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
Originally posted by RussB
is it safe to assume that these changes are incorporated on '03 and newer cars? My '03 once had this problem when I was visiting Tahoe. I have remote start, started the car and let it warm up for about 5 minutes. as soon as I got in the car, the interior had a nasty fuel/exhaust smell. at the time, i just assumed it was due to a catless up-pipe and exhaust fumes getting into the cabin.
i've noticed the same thing in my 03 lately and thought it was my catless set up... hum... i warm up my car for like 5min every morning in the garage (garage door open half way while warm up ) and when i get it to take off it spells like gas

the thing that worrys me is that i park right next to the polit to the heater... and sleep above the garage... im going to have to look into this ASAP!!
Old 02-04-2004, 01:48 PM

I would be interested to know if this same problem exists for '03's. Im pushing 40K, and have never noticed this problem on my 03. And I drive it everyday in Ottawa winter, which averaged about -20F through January (some days below -50F).

<crosses fingers>

Quick Reply: TSB: Fuel Smell In Cold Weather - 2002 WRX