Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Thunk and CEL after TMIC Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 09:18 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2000 Legacy GT, 2000 Echo 1989 Camry All-Trac
Thunk and CEL after TMIC Install

Ok... approximately 8 hours ago, I put a Perrin top mount on my 04 WRX, having previously had a stock STi one.

Those at the Va-Jay-Jay meet will know of the schennanigans to do this - my thanks to you all again.

With some work, it got in there just fine, though this big top mount doesn't have mounting bolts for the vacuum hard lines that attach to other intercoolers; the stock WRX and STi ones obviously do, as did the eBay one for that matter. It's moving freely a bit, but not banging, and when I checked after getting to work, no hoses had come off.

While testing it out after getting in installed, my revs were going quicker than previous, maybe b/c of the higher flow, maybe because I was lead footing it more to test it. Wasn't paying attention to the tach, I went into about 7200 RPM (yeah -_-; ) in probably 3rd gear, hit the fuel cut, boost go woosh, CEL. Gently went back to the meet, disconnected the neg terminal on the battery for a bit, cleared, went home.

Today, while accelerating a bit near the Scott Creek exit on 680 N, at about 3500 RPM, a little under 80 MPH, I heard a soft thunk from the engine. Boost dropped, and a CEL came up. I was gentle going the rest of the way to work, about 2 miles, and was able to hold boost (again, wasn't pushing it) and drive as otherwise usual.

I had another CEL about two weeks ago. Briefly I had a big eBay TMIC, but developed a boost leak from a stripped BPV thread (didn't come with a gasket, when I put a fresh one on, the thread went - my bad/cheap soft aluminum/dunno). Went back to the STi one from there. While testing this on the road, the elbow to the turbo outlet blew out (probably not tightened as tight as it should have been), CEL. Fixed it on the road, did the battery disconnect reset, bueno.

Had yet another CEL a while further back, same not paying attention/high rev fuel cut deal, same battery fix - to be clear I do not make a habit of doing this, and this was the first time I'd ever had that happen to me on any car. I usually shift at 3-3500, might push it into 4K range when accelerating, stay under 6.5K between gears when (infrequently, less than once every 4-6 weeks) pulling hard.

My ODBII dongle (for use with the Android Torque app) is somewhere, and my Access Port (which I have not used yet) is at home so I can't check the code just yet, but any diagnoses in the meantime?
Old 06-27-2013, 09:43 AM
Call me Pebbles

Car Info: Moist
Any speculation is pointless without dem codes.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:50 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Rev. Rob Large
Any speculation is pointless without dem codes.
Suppose so :/

Anyone in south Fremont right now with a ODBIl Bluetooth?
Old 06-27-2013, 10:01 AM

Car Info: Galaxy Blue 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by de_engineered
Suppose so :/

Anyone in south Fremont right now with a ODBIl Bluetooth?
I'm in san jose and have an obd bluetooth if you need to borrow it
Old 06-27-2013, 10:02 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
As I said gimme codes I can help as much as I can.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:33 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by esousa22
I'm in san jose and have an obd bluetooth if you need to borrow it
If you're free today between 11:30ish and 12:30 ish I could swing by your way and check things out. Meet me at a McDonalds etc. and I'll buy you lunch. Think I have your # still from when I bought your stocker WRX springs back in December. PM me or text if you have my number.

Originally Posted by Heedz
As I said gimme codes I can help as much as I can.
Copy that. Nice thing about Torque is it'll do a code error report, should be informative...
Old 06-27-2013, 12:46 PM
VIP Member

Well ok... Went to lunch, light lit all the way, went to tank up (filled 10 gallons, so was on 3 gal or so left), and...

CEL flashed off.

Ok...

It stalled briefly (sorry folks, lightweight flywheel still gives me grief), and flashed again, but, otherwise no more. Pulled a little bit on the way back, seemed to hold up strong.

I'm wary of fixes that fix themselves though :|
Old 06-28-2013, 11:30 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
For future reference- a pepboys or autozone can read the codes, but only if they have a service station at that location.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:23 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Superusdm
For future reference- a pepboys or autozone can read the codes, but only if they have a service station at that location.
Good to know, thank your sir.

I finally got around to installing my Accessport to check the codes, and while I was fetching a USB cable from my folks to connect it, my code light went out. Huh. So unfortunately to date I don't have any idea what kind of code I was throwing. But for now at least it's not doing so... Again though, fixless fixes... :/

Loaded up the Stage 1 map (v130, if it matters - seems a little out of date per some research I did), gently pulled a bit here and here... No CELs, no funny business, and some more mid and top end. Might be hitting 15PSI now too; gauge is in MPa, so I'm just eyeballing off of 0.1 MPa = ~14.7PSI.

I'll be ginger with it for a bit, see what happens.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:09 AM

Car Info: 2000 2.5rs
hmmm alright, switching the tmic shouldn't cause you and check engine light unless, major vacuum leak. (either blow out the one to the turbo or gaskets are leaking from the tmic)

The fuel cut deal sounds like, its from maybe low fuel? A lot of times when taking corners little bit faster at 1/4 or around there (some people have experienced higher than that at higher G corning)

All the fuel sloshes to the driver side of the tank thus no fuel is being pumped from the tank, however stock does have a jet pump which only works if there is fuel returning from the engine.

You can a make a slosh box like the sti has or do that and wire in your own external pump to draw fuel back into that side.

Fuel starvation is a no no =]

Wrote a short easy DIY on one of the methods.
DIY: Anti-Fuel starvation inline fuel pump mod! - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
Old 06-29-2013, 01:00 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by MonsterGC
hmmm alright, switching the tmic shouldn't cause you and check engine light unless, major vacuum leak. (either blow out the one to the turbo or gaskets are leaking from the tmic)

The fuel cut deal sounds like, its from maybe low fuel? A lot of times when taking corners little bit faster at 1/4 or around there (some people have experienced higher than that at higher G corning)

All the fuel sloshes to the driver side of the tank thus no fuel is being pumped from the tank, however stock does have a jet pump which only works if there is fuel returning from the engine.

You can a make a slosh box like the sti has or do that and wire in your own external pump to draw fuel back into that side.

Fuel starvation is a no no =]

Wrote a short easy DIY on one of the methods.
DIY: Anti-Fuel starvation inline fuel pump mod! - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
All the times I've gotten CELs have been in straight line acceleration, hmm. At least once I was low on gas, so maybe it was getting pushed up and away from the pump?

I've been meaning to boost leak test my system, so maybe there I'll see if there's anything I've missed. As said, car was doing fine last night, decent acceleration, and on a more aggressive map.

A Walbro 255 is going on soonish, sounds like a good time to put your mod in. Thanks for the lead.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:55 PM

Car Info: 2000 2.5rs
If you still have stock fuep pump there is a chance it just at the end of its life.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:51 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by MonsterGC
If you still have stock fuep pump there is a chance it just at the end of its life.
Car's at 125k, might be that.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:00 PM
VIP Member

Happened again last night, cleared itself before I could check the code. Happened again this morning, moderate acceleration, about 3500RPM, 80ish MPH, boost just dropped out. Car seemed normal afterward.

Code is P0244, wastegate solenoid issue.

Speedelement is parting out a WRX, maybe just grab the boost solenoid off that car and see if that'll fix 'er?
Old 07-11-2013, 03:09 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
check out the stuff i suggested last night report back.