Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Intake problems?? Or not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 05:00 AM

Car Info: 2003 Silver Subaru Impreza WRX 5-speed
Intake problems?? Or not?

I just popped in my new intake yesterday...Nothing fancy...It 's a short ram from K&N or whatever they are called. Looked at it with my buddy after we put it in and nothing seemed wrong with it, and then driving home from work this morning, (I work overnight) I was down shifting and then stopped at a red light and the car was just shaking not bad and nothing really to complain about. I came home and checked it out under the hood..everything is still tight and in correctly. ++++ Since it's a metal tpipe now instead of the stock plstic/rubber pipe what do I do with the other three tubes that usually stretch over it? Can they just hang out on top of it or with they burn?

I'm almost positive you guys will know what I mean but if you want a picture I can take one.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:36 PM

Car Info: 2002 silver rex
Usually it's the intake. It messes up the air fuel ratios. If you can return it and get something else. the stock intake is good for any stock turbo application. If anything try a KN filter element in the stock box.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:49 AM

Car Info: 2003 Silver Subaru Impreza WRX 5-speed
So my check engine light has been on since I put it in too. Like I sai though it's all connected tightly and what not.. I put the pedal to the metal this morning and my check engine light started blinking for a couple seconds...What's up with this crap. If it's not hurting my car then I don't mind it being there, but I don't want this thing screwin up my car which i highly doubt it is...
Old 12-23-2006, 11:01 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
go to Autozone and have them pull the CEL code for you. The fact that the light is on is not enough info to diagnose the problem. As for what curbait said, its usually cold air intakes that cause problems, not short ram intakes
Old 12-27-2006, 08:28 AM

Car Info: 01 RS R.I.P. / 91 240sx
If your check engine light is flashing it means the enigine is misfiring. DO NOT DRIVE IT WITH A FLASHING CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!!!! You will destroy your cats and possibly your engine. Return the intake and put your stock air box back in.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:48 AM

Car Info: 03 sonic yellow wrx
yeah a flashing check engine light is a type a misfire. not good like ronj said. thats asking for a meltdown. i have had people want a cai installed on there wrx's before and the usually get a lean spot. i have had good luck with a cobb short ram and a perrin. if u are wlling to try again sometimes they can relearn there fuel curves to an extent if u clear the adaptive memory by disconnecting the battery for 10 to 15 mins. then reattach it and drive the car like you usually drive it maybe even a little harder. that works alot of the time, if not go back to stock witha drop in