Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

install uppipe now or later?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 01:30 PM

install uppipe now or later?

i will be installing a turbo back exhaust soon. should i do the uppipe when i do the exhaust or wait until later?

adding an uppipe to the install will also add other things i want to do at the same time i.e. sti mounts, tap for egt, etc, making a lengthy install. now, i will be replacing the turbo within a year and can do the uppipe then. will it be worth it to do it now anyway? thx for the help guys
DF
Old 01-05-2003, 05:17 PM

Car Info: o2 duburu arr exu
do the uppipe install through the bottom (iow, not by removing the turbo) and do the egt, turbo back, and mounts at the same time.

oh and the longer you wait on the uppipe, the more likely you will have trouble with seized bolts.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:43 AM

got a DIY for that way?
Old 01-06-2003, 08:28 AM

Car Info: o2 duburu arr exu
its not much different then byremoving the turbo, so instead of doing that, to get the uppipe out you undo the engine mount bolts and use a jack and a piece of wood to lift the engine a few inches (be careful about hoses while you do this and make sure you have the pitch stop removed). this should give you enough room to wiggle the uppipe out from the bottom. you still have to remove the intercooler, heatshields, downpipe, and the passenger side of headers.

vishnu's uppipe instructions uses the same method, but since your going to be replacing both engine mounts, you might as well unbolt both of them before jacking the motor up vice just the passenger side like the instructions will say. here's a link to it

http://www.vishnutuning.com/files/Up...stallation.doc

if you need a more detailed description then that, let me know.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:49 AM

thx for the link, sounds like i will be making a weekend of it all!