Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

is this a boost leak?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 07:13 AM

Car Info: 2004 wrx impreza
is this a boost leak?

dear i- club
first and foremost i wanted to greet everyone hello.. and that everyone is safe and enjoying their summer. my problem is:
i have 2004 wrx which was flooded in maybe 2 wks ago. my car couldn't start everything was wet in the interior. i learned that my turbo xs computer was the problem and plugged it in the stock ecu. now the car is starting but lots of lag, check engine light and light is on. i had my car tuned by dyno flash maybe a year ago. i had installed a front mount intercooler and was also subdued in the water. my question now is:
everytime i run my car, in any gear, the car would run great but after 3500 and over rpms the car would shake like i have a loose clamp. i had a similar problem when my clamps in my fmic was loose then i would tighten them and they would run ok again. this time all clamps are tighten and i checked top to bottom and the car would lag with any gear. its very dangerous because i drive alot in the highway. so when i have to over take or change lanes my car would feel like that when my clamps are loose, although they aren't. and the whole car would shake. would this be the cause of my fmic because it has gotten wet or maybe the stock ecu because i had taken out my turbo xs utec? i had check everything from the piping to my air intake. gotten a diagnostic check and motor and engine did not have signs of any damage from the flood. please help.. it was very depressing but please help me as i'm tryin to fix it back up again. i had gotten the car flushed out twice and had them check the intake manifold. there was water in the oil. they did the 3 step.. yesterday 8/18.
so this morning hoping everything is okay, i was driving to work and after hitting 2nd gear has the same effect like a boost leak. i really don't know what to do guys and i really want to fix my car again. please hellp
tristan
Old 08-19-2007, 07:27 AM

Car Info: 2004 wrx impreza
please help me.. any advice or tips on what to do next or check next
tristan
Old 08-23-2007, 08:21 PM

Car Info: 2005 Honda Civic
first off make sure the check engine light isn't setting off a code that'll make your car run the way it is. second i'd probably check the turbo/wastegate to make sure it's properly spooling and the wastegate isn't letting out the boost too early/leaking (rare but very possible). any more questions let me know.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Troll

Car Info: EVO 8 RS
Originally Posted by Lazyboy
dear i- club
everytime i run my car, in any gear, the car would run great but after 3500 and over rpms the car would shake like i have a loose clamp.
Most turbos reach full operating speed at that RPM range.......
Originally Posted by Lazyboy
there was water in the oil. they did the 3 step.. yesterday 8/18.
so this morning hoping everything is okay, i was driving to work and after hitting 2nd gear has the same effect like a boost leak. i really don't know what to do guys and i really want to fix my car again. please hellp
tristan
Man, if there was water in your oil, your turbo is probably gone. Turbos are not only lubricated by oil, but they float on a thin layer of oil. Put water in there, and god knows what will happen. Sorry to tell you, it's dead probably dead. PM me, I think I know a good way to check if it is the turbo for sure.

PM me, I know a performance shop here in denver that has a WRX turbo laying around for like two years in their shop-they might sell it to you for cheap.