Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

block heater... yea or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 10:11 PM

Car Info: 03 Rex: HKS, Injen, Apexi, Perrin, Rota
block heater... yea or nay?

I always warm up my rex before i drive it to work at o'dark thirty. problem is, the neighbor is now complaining that it wakes him up (might be the HKS coffee can...) bwaahhaahhaaha anyways, i am seriously thinking about installing the block heater to hasten my warmup time in the morn'n. From what the dealer tells me, it only warms the coolant, and is meant for cold weather environments where the coolant may freeze. Does anybody think it will have enough effect on the actual block or even the oil, so as to bring the oil temp up faster than normal? thanks for the help. later
Old 09-24-2003, 01:31 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
You don't really need to warm the car up for long periods. Just take it easy for the first few minutes you drive, and give the gearbox oil time to warm up. The engine oil comes up to temp within 2-3 minutes.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:02 AM

Thumbs up okay

so if bringing the engine oil up to temp is not important, then all it would do is give me instant hot air for the defroster, eh that seems like a good deal also it only costs 30 bucks and the tech at subaru said its a pretty easy install, just take off the I/C and the plug is right under it. Seems like i've always been told that you should warm up the car for awhile to bring the engine oil up to running temp so it's able to lubricate everything fully. Did you mean i should still let it warm up for 2-3 minutes or just drive it slow for that long? thanks
Old 09-24-2003, 01:08 PM

awwright

if you say so... j/k what you described there is how i drive the whole way to work, all 45 minutes of it. i don't think i ever rev it past 5K unless i wanna pass somebody. i think i'm gonna put it in anyways so i have instant hot air for the defrost. i'll put the power cord on a timer so it starts at like 3 in the morning and doesn't go all night. i'm too cheap to use the kilowatts when i dont need em... anyways, thanks for the info, later all