Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Advice from AutoHQ: Motor Oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 10:17 AM

Car Info: 05' Evo MR w/E85 - 10' Ralliart Sportback w/E85
Originally Posted by earlyapex
Do the piston rings disappear when the car is cold started or something?
Still trying to figure this one out... if the skirts are hitting the cyl wall, you need to talk to the engine builder, or stop forgetting to put the pistons rings in...
Old 07-16-2008, 11:47 AM

Car Info: 05 330i ZHP, 02 ES300, 85 MR2 SC
Yep, great for cold starts and great for bay area summers I buy it in hoardes because there is only one autozone in my area that sells it.
+1, these things are harder and harder to come by at Autozone. Thank god they still stock them.

I think another point this thread is missing is the type of oil used. I still recommend doing a UOA on your particular oil with mileage and OCI. Then research on which oils work best for YOUR vehicle. Again best place to start is http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
Old 07-16-2008, 12:42 PM

Car Info: 2006 STi 2012 STi
i <3 Paul

i agree with everyone that says they should do a blackstone analysis. When i was driving my prelude every day i changed my oil every 2k. After the blackstone the results said i could wait for every 5500k.

every engine along with every driver differs. just like with suspension upgrade or any other item you put into/on your car, there is no right answer, everyone is different varied due to driver style, what the cars used for and so many others.

i think AutoHQ had good intentions when starting this thread, just that it started out all wrong. At least everyones learning something from it
Old 07-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: WRX, EVO, MSP3
Originally Posted by Lboogie
and more importantly do you know what viscocity Dominic Toretto uses in his daily driver?
He doesn't use oil, he uses NOS and it's supplied by Chuck Norris!

Mike
Old 07-16-2008, 12:52 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
He doesn't use oil, he uses NOS and it's supplied by Chuck Norris!

Mike
winnAr!!!
Old 07-16-2008, 04:15 PM

some good discussion in here, and some unnecessary insults, too.

personally, I get my oil changes for free at the dealership (Santa Cruz) so I get the same 5W-30 that everyone else does.

my motor is stock for now. I don't drive the STI that much (7500 miles in 2 years), but when I do I typically drive it fairly aggressively. The alignment shop said that I have <50% tread left on my stock RE070s. so, I've changed the oil 3 times since I've owned the car...every 2500 miles on average.

however, I will be moving to Austin, TX for work in a few weeks, and while the car probably won't see much more road time (in fact it will likely see less), I plan on switching to to a 10W-40 or 20W-40 oil, synthetic. 105 degrees for 6 months a year can be punishing on everything. I get 93 octane in TX, so I will likely go to Stage 2 in a short timeframe, which will even further necessitate a beefier oil.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:52 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Bell R

personally, I get my oil changes for free at the dealership (Santa Cruz) so I get the same 5W-30 that everyone else does.

my motor is stock for now. I don't drive the STI that much (7500 miles in 2 years), but when I do I typically drive it fairly aggressively. The alignment shop said that I have <50% tread left on my stock RE070s. so, I've changed the oil 3 times since I've owned the car...every 2500 miles on average.

however, I will be moving to Austin, TX for work in a few weeks, and while the car probably won't see much more road time (in fact it will likely see less), I plan on switching to to a 10W-40 or 20W-40 oil, synthetic. 105 degrees for 6 months a year can be punishing on everything. I get 93 octane in TX, so I will likely go to Stage 2 in a short timeframe, which will even further necessitate a beefier oil.
93 octane tune... WOOT!

I got my car at SC too. Great gig they got there for oil changes. Oh... I killed my RE070's in like 6-8000 miles. Grrr. Great tires.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Originally Posted by Bell R
I think a more than a few members have had enough with Brandon posting these threads claiming to have the BEST mechanic, the BEST tuner etc... then spouting 'facts' that clearly aren't true.

The best bay area mechanics and tuners (we all know who they are) just go about their job and let their work do their speaking for them. They have no need to constantly keep drumming on about how they are the best, their repeat business and awards at the track are all they need to let people know whats what.

Sorry Brandon but I think your approach to promoting your business with all the talk about shiggy being a god (including the Ecutek being vastly superior to Cobb etc..) and kevin being able to diagnose a problem by listening to a cars tone and vibrations comes off as being insincere. Many times you've come across as condescending and lacking in knowledge, that's not the kind of shop most want to take their beloved suby's to.

I have no doubt in Kevin or Shiggy's skills, but the way your ramming it down our throats rather than letting competitive achievements and good word of mouth be what brings us to your shop leaves a sour taste.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:50 PM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
What is that?

Mike
Just run it in the L and thank me later =)
Old 07-16-2008, 11:07 PM

Car Info: 94 Integra beater: one Slow 3 Series RIP EvoX
this thread got real interesting quick
Old 07-16-2008, 11:36 PM

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by PikkaGTR
this thread got real interesting quick
I've noticed any thread dealing with oil usually goes down the crapper real fast.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:01 AM

Car Info: 05 330i ZHP, 02 ES300, 85 MR2 SC
Originally Posted by Spoolin415
I've noticed any thread dealing with oil usually goes down the crapper real fast.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:49 AM

Car Info: '05 WRX STi
I can "feel" a difference after about 1k in power. I can "feel" the difference in the oil between my fingers when I pull out dipstick. I can "hear" a difference in my motor after about 1500-2k. I don't like any of that but it is my observation.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:56 AM

Car Info: '05 WRX STi
perhaps if they do rag the **** out of their car looking into a proper baffled oil air seperator (not a catch can).
:whistles:

LoL

Originally Posted by earlyapex
Still trying to figure this one out... if the skirts are hitting the cyl wall, you need to talk to the engine builder, or stop forgetting to put the pistons rings in...
Too ealry to be laughing this hard!!!

Last edited by Never Slip'N'; 07-17-2008 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:25 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by Never Slip'N'
I can "feel" a difference after about 1k in power. I can "feel" the difference in the oil between my fingers when I pull out dipstick. I can "hear" a difference in my motor after about 1500-2k. I don't like any of that but it is my observation.
Now thats some scientific methodology!

Quick Reply: Advice from AutoHQ: Motor Oil