Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Advice from AutoHQ: Motor Oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 10:10 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Originally Posted by evsoul
AutoHQ... would it be safe to say you guys are full of complete **** here?
The motor oil viscosity in your head is 99w-1 (99 mentally challenged when its cold, and 1 full of **** when its hot)
Old 07-15-2008, 10:23 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
hey now, lets keep this civil

I'd think with the pistons being on their sides, it would be easier to oil the motor, because the oil doesn't have to be pumped so high up. Inline motors you have to pump it all the way up to the top of the head. In our motors, it doesn't doesn't have to go very high up, and easily moves side to side. As long as there is plenty of oil and oil pressure, we're covered.

I definitely agree with Mike and Noah on how they treat newer cars and older cars, as well as their track cars.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
Originally Posted by mulcibre
I guess all of Japan is full of it too?

That comment is out of line, don't you think?

If you have anything to contribute to the conversation, please do, and bring facts and evidence, but otherwise, comments like yours are only going to derail the discussion.

LOL. AutoHQ has provided about as much "fact" as I have.
Its just interesting that they are the only shop I have ever heard of suggesting oil changes every 1500 miles. You gotta be kidding me, where are their tests to back up what they have claimed here today? They mention articles.. wow. Show me controlled groups of scientific tests before you completely denounce what the manufacture suggests.

Originally Posted by AutoHQ
If you ever see the oil light on your dash, that is really bad. It usually comes on once the oil level is really low, more than low enough that the engine already probably has damage.
Probably has damage? How many Subarus does AutoHQ see that actually have legitamite issues from the oil light coming on.. I can see this on a highly modified HIGH HORSEPOWER application but not on a stock or low modification Subaru. (low modification being tuning/turboback/uppipe/non-rotated turbo setup)

Given some Turbo Subarus may need an oil change every 1500-2000 miles.. that is way too generalized. Check your oil, if it is not low then don't change it. Don't believe me? Then take a sample of your oil and send it in for an Oil Analysis and tell me that at 1500-2000... or even 3000 miles the oil has lost its "viscosity" and in turn is not properly lubricating the insides of your motor.

If Subaru of America thought "hey these motors should have an oil change every 1500-2000 miles" they would have explicitly said so. Why would they recommend higher mile (almost double) of what AutoHQ says if it was bad for the motor? Wouldn't that lead them to have to cover more engine issues out of their pocket by telling people to do oil changes every 3k miles or x amount of months if they saw that 1500 miles was more adequate??

What is more rude? What I said about AutoHQ or them playing us as idiots that will believe anything a shop says? "OMG a local shop said so! It certainly HAS to be true!!!"

Don't be so naive.

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
hey now, lets keep this civil

I'd think with the pistons being on their sides, it would be easier to oil the motor, because the oil doesn't have to be pumped so high up. Inline motors you have to pump it all the way up to the top of the head. In our motors, it doesn't doesn't have to go very high up, and easily moves side to side. As long as there is plenty of oil and oil pressure, we're covered.

I definitely agree with Mike and Noah on how they treat newer cars and older cars, as well as their track cars.
Yup, a piston that is being put into its "motion" while the car is starting is always a harsh thing. But a Subaru with a horizontally opposed motor the pistons start in lube as the pistons are laying down and not being held up vertically. It might not be a significant amount of oil like while it is running, but its much better than a V8, inline 4, etc etc as they are standing up vertical, where gravity causes the oil to settle to the bottom leaving the pistons "dry" compared to a horizontally opposed motor.

Last edited by evsoul; 07-15-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: WRX, EVO, MSP3
Originally Posted by AutoHQ
The boxer engine requires thicker oil because of the relatively poor oiling of the boxer engine. The horizontal design (and gravity) is the cause.
Boxer engines tend to run out of oil film on the top due to gravity. And especially at cold start up the piston skirt is lying on and in contact with the bottom/lower cylinder wall.
Brandon
I don't agree with that Brandon, here's why.

The boxster motor has no problem with it's relation to cylinder heads with regards to oiling other than in high G load situations where the oil does not find it's way back to the pan fast enough and becomes pushed out the breathers thus creating oil lose through blow by the gravity of the oil plays little to no bearing on this. This is something that is typically only noticed in cars driven hard.

The gravity of the oil does not seem to remedy this as it typically only slightly slows the event due to it's thickness.

From what I can tell for any street driven cars the owners are best served sticking with a 10w oil and performing routine oil changes (3K) checking their oil once a week and perhaps if they do rag the **** out of their car looking into a proper baffled oil air seperator (not a catch can).

If gravity caused oiling problems then Evo owners would be screwed with their heads sitting up top like that, at least ours are on the side (lets not get into their poorly designed pick up placement causing premature bearing wear from high G cornering )

Mike
Old 07-15-2008, 10:47 PM
VIP Member

^^HAHA someone with a catch can should check their oil daily since it doesn't recirculate it back into the system.. instead removes it from the system. Everyday is an obvious exaggeration.

If anyone is worried about Oil loss... then do yourself a favor and read this:
http://wrxmodders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10101

Last edited by evsoul; 07-15-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:52 PM
Former Sponsor

^^HAHA someone with a catch can should check their oil daily since it doesn't recirculate it back into the system.. instead removes it from the system. Everyday is an obvious exaggeration.

If anyone is worried about Oil loss... then do yourself a favor and read this:
http://wrxmodders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10101
Well to elaborate, if your running a catch can you should be monitoring it's level. Common sense would dictate that whatever is in it is no longer in the engine so if your filling it make sure your on top of your oil levels as well.

Mike
Old 07-15-2008, 10:57 PM
VIP Member

^^Thats what I mean.. by removing the oil from the intake it drops it straight into the can.. so yeah like you said its no longer in the "system". So levels should be checked pretty frequently.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:08 PM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
f they do rag the **** out of their car looking into a proper baffled oil air seperator (not a catch can).
Mike

yummy...
Old 07-15-2008, 11:10 PM
VIP Member

yummier

Ixiz Air Oil Separator (AOS)
Old 07-15-2008, 11:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 03_Impreza_Al

yummy...
What is that?

Mike
Old 07-15-2008, 11:40 PM
Former Sponsor

yummier

Ixiz Air Oil Separator (AOS)
The routing looks a little odd to me but it's hard to tell from the picture.

Is it me or is that a hard drive case modified with fittings?

Mike
Old 07-15-2008, 11:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: a few WRX's and a Z ;)
What is that?

Mike
Prova Air/Oil separator, screws in to the oil fill tube.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:08 AM

Car Info: 05' Evo MR w/E85 - 10' Ralliart Sportback w/E85

Is it me or is that a hard drive case modified with fittings?

Mike
LOL, that is exactly what I was going to say. Maybe he has a redundant oil back up?
Old 07-16-2008, 01:13 AM

Car Info: 1994 impreza L
Name:  oilchange1.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  113.1 KB

Name:  oilchange2.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  99.0 KB

I even went ahead and highlighted the pertinent parts for you guys, so you don't have to read through a whole 2.5 page article

This is from a shop manual for a USDM 2004 STi, from subaru.

So, we can all agree that we do not live in the arctic right? Because alaska is part of the US. Here's a shout out to our subie boys who SHOULD be rocking 5w-30

For the rest of us mojito sipping bay area denizens, if you drive a stock turbo subaru non-aggressively, and do not track or auto-x, you should be using 10w40. Now that's a surprise. But hey, it's right there in the shop manual.

So let's say you are the average I-clubber. I'd say that description fits us all pretty well, right? You have probably modified your car. Probably. Also, you probably drive your car harder than the average soccer mom. Probably. You guys still with me here?

OK, next point. In the subaru manual, and using common sense, the harder a car is driven, or the more heavily modified (subaru does not address this, but we are going to go ahead and presume that modifying the car will cause higher levels of wear. This is very non-technical, we are trying to keep this simple) You should then be using a STILL THICKER OIL. Subaru even recommends a few viscosities. INCLUDING 20w50!!!!!

Did that totally blow your mind? I'm going to have a cigarette, I'm spent.

So to sum it up, the answer isn't at AutoHQ, or anywhere in this thread. It is in the shop manual for your car, had you bothered to read it.

I hear the real estate market in Alaska is fantastic this time of year.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:22 AM

Car Info: 1994 impreza L
It should also be mentioned that subaru recommends changing the oil every 3750 miles. This is down from the previous 7000 miles, which they changed due to engines having problems under warranty, with oil degeneration.

My previous point holds here too. More heavy driving and modifications, more frequent oil changes.

I hate to sound like a crotchety ****, but there is a lot of hating on brandon, treadjacking... and you have no ground to stand on. If you want, go to AutoHQ, talk to kevin, read the literature, etc.... instead of e-thugging in an otherwise informative thread, which I will not stand for.

Quick Reply: Advice from AutoHQ: Motor Oil