Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

*Do I HAVE to get a tune if I put on a dp???*

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 04:02 PM

Car Info: '05 PSM WRX Wagon
Red face *Do I HAVE to get a tune if I put on a dp???*

I have an '02 WRX and I was wondering if I could get away with putting on my Helix catless down pipe on, with my 3' cbe, without getting a tune? I was told by a shop that I should get a tune with just the cbe on but a friend of mine just told me that you can get away with a dp and cbe without getting a tune on '02s and '03s. I want to get my car tuned but I don't have $300+ laying around to get one. Am I going to be okay with putting the dp on without getting a tune??? I'm new to the Suby world, so any input, very descriptive input, will be much appreciated. I want to learn about these cars and how they work. But most importantly I want to do it right. Thank you in advance for you insight!
Old 07-28-2011, 08:25 PM

Car Info: 94 Integra beater: one Slow 3 Series RIP EvoX
you would be okay to drive around for a bit without a tune, but you wont get the most benefit of the increase airflow.
It will also probably run rich and have worst MPG.
IMHO, wait for the tune then put all parts on, that way the car with have a proper a/f ratio and you dont waste any gas while waiting for the tune
Old 07-28-2011, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by PikkaGTR
you would be okay to drive around for a bit without a tune, but you wont get the most benefit of the increase airflow.
It will also probably run rich and have worst MPG.
IMHO, wait for the tune then put all parts on, that way the car with have a proper a/f ratio and you dont waste any gas while waiting for the tune
Since it's the dp to the cbe and out am I actually increasing the air flow? Wouldn't that just be if I put an intake on, a bigger tmic, or a bigger turbo? What I understood from my friend is that since it's after the turbo and it's the exhaust going out I'd be okay.

I know getting a tune would definitely maximize the cars potential with the dp and cbe on but would I be okay without getting a tune for a while. I'm not talking forever. But it could be a while
Old 07-28-2011, 08:56 PM

Car Info: 99 AW ej205 Coupe // 06 SGM Wagon
I also have an 02, and have ran a turboback (downpipe and catback) without a tune for over a year. One year later, I had the funds to buy a Cobb AP... Just like your friend, I was informed that 02/03s can get away without getting a tune right away. I was pretty much told that we have dinosaurs without all the updated computer systems so we can get away with it, haha. I haven't had any issues (gas mileage, or anything else) while running without a tune.

When you DO get a Cobb AP, or a tune, you'll definitely notice a difference though =)
Old 07-28-2011, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.Carl
I also have an 02, and have ran a turboback (downpipe and catback) without a tune for over a year. One year later, I had the funds to buy a Cobb AP... Just like your friend, I was informed that 02/03s can get away without getting a tune right away. I was pretty much told that we have dinosaurs without all the updated computer systems so we can get away with it, haha. I haven't had any issues (gas mileage, or anything else) while running without a tune.

When you DO get a Cobb AP, or a tune, you'll definitely notice a difference though =)
Mr. Carl thanks for the input. Feel a little better knowing someone that has the same car as me and has done what I wanna do for a year. I'm sure you would feel the difference having the ap or getting a tune
Old 07-28-2011, 09:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX w/ JDM Spec C
I concur, ran without a tune, but AP is the way to go.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:33 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
yes
Old 07-29-2011, 02:43 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
It all depends on how you drive it. You can certainly drive around and go into boost once in a while without causing major issues. But if you plan on tracking the car, running it hard in the back roads, racing, etc, then you should really get a tune with those mods.

-- Ed
Old 07-30-2011, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
But if you plan on tracking the car, running it hard in the back roads, racing, etc, then you should really get a tune with those mods.

-- Ed
Ed,

Thanks for the input. We've actually met. I had some work done on my wagon at EQ early last year. When I picked the car up Bredan was the one that told me that even with just the cbe I should get a tune. I never plan to track the car or race it. Actually it's a commuter car for my wife to get back and forth to school. I know a tune will give me the full benefits of the dp and cbe but if I can get away without getting one for a while then I think I'll put my dp on.

What would a tune for a dp and cbe run me? Thanks again Ed for you advice!
Old 07-30-2011, 08:46 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
The one thing to keep in mind is that running a downpipe without a tune will usually cause a CEL. This may be annoying for some people.

A custom tune is $400.

Thanks
-- Ed