Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

Road tune VS. Dyno tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 10:10 PM

Car Info: 2005 sti
that's all good advice! i went ahead with the dyno tune a few weeks ago. car feels great. more power and the turbo spools up quicker. the main reason i went with mike and not ed was because ed couldnt do the tune for three weeks (something about a hurt elbow) and mike fit me in same week. mike at gst did an awesome job though, i am very happy!
Old 02-15-2008, 06:38 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
We have lots of good tuners in the bay area.

I vote road tune, good for tuning out shift knock.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:17 PM
diz

Car Info: 04 sti / 02 wrx / 01 cbr600 f4i
Originally Posted by SubyN00by
I'm just not liking someone doing 120+ in my car on a public road while trying to pay attention to a laptop screen at the same time...

I'll stick with the dyno tunes...which haven't failed me yet! (=
when ed tuned my car, i did all the driving while he sat shotty with the laptop.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:05 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 Subaru WRX Aspen White
Originally Posted by diz
when ed tuned my car, i did all the driving while he sat shotty with the laptop.
Thats how I road tune as well.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:33 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX wagon
I would recomend a road tune unless you are trying to put out stupid high numbers. I have an 05 wrx wagon with a turbo back exhust and got road tuned locally in arizona. I love the tune as well, it definatly made a night and day difference in the perfomance of the car and I have raced many friends with 05 wrx sedans and wagon and have either been dead even or smoked em down and they all have been dyno tuned. So my vote is get a street tune for now, it is way cheaper and for small mods it makes more sense. When you are ready to do some real mod.s like turbo upgrades, etc. then i would say get a dyno tune to be ont he safe side.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:35 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Sorry about not being able to fit you in on short notice. I dislocated and fractured my shoulder in a skiing accident and couldn't work for about a month. Its finally healing up and I'm back up and running now.

As far as road tuning versus dyno tuning, I believe its possible to get good results from both assuming a good tuner and necessary equipment. I do believe, however, that any dyno tune should at least get logged and verified under real conditions on the road. Most dyno tuners around the country will start the tune on the dyno and then fine tune on the road. Sadly around the bay area none of the dyno facilities are in areas that would easily allow any logging or tuning on any roads nearby. Given the choice to work on a tune only on the dyno or only on the road, I would almost always choose to do it only on the road to make sure the tune is appropriate for real driving conditions and the customer's driving habits.

FYI, I do offer dyno tuning using the DynoDynamics chassis dyno at Speed Element for those who feel uncomfortable with road tuning. Note, however, that there is no appropriate place to perform any road tuning at this location. While its more convenient for me to use this dyno facility, road tuning is still my personal choice for the overall end result.

Some of the features of dyno tuning:
Benefits:
- Convenience
- Controlled environment
- High resolution power measurement

Drawbacks:
- Simulated environment
- Unrealistic airflow over radiator, intercooler, intake
- Sometimes unrealistic load curves applied to the wheels
- Lack of ability to test and tune quick transitions such as on sharp throttle movements and quick shifting.

Some of the features of road tuning:
Benefits:
- Real airflow over radiator, intercooler, and intake (no over heating short ram intakes)
- Ability to test and tune for quick shifting and throttle transitions
- Ability to tune overall drivability to accommodate the customer's driving style and habits.
- Much more involved and educational experience for the customer

Drawbacks:
- Very few appropriate and safe places to perform road tuning, which usually involves a longer drive to get to the road tuning site than it might to a dyno facility
- Small risks associated with driving the car in a spirited manner in a straight line.

BTW, I will be contacting some of the small airports around the area shortly to inquire about renting out space for road tuning. Aside from a private test track, I think that would be the ideal road tuning location.

Thanks
Old 03-08-2008, 09:18 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by dustythedeal
that's all good advice! i went ahead with the dyno tune a few weeks ago. car feels great. more power and the turbo spools up quicker. the main reason i went with mike and not ed was because ed couldnt do the tune for three weeks (something about a hurt elbow) and mike fit me in same week. mike at gst did an awesome job though, i am very happy!
glad you are happy

back to the topic the first time i posted i had 20 seconds to post

all things equil ie i have money and time. i will do both

i throw the car on the dyno and tune right off the bat.
if i stall it no problem no other cars to worry about.
dont have to pull over in a shady neighborhood and punch in numbers pull out start over

after its 95% of the way there then ill take it on the road to fine tune it
Old 03-08-2008, 09:19 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by Friedenreich686
I would recomend a road tune unless you are trying to put out stupid high numbers. I have an 05 wrx wagon with a turbo back exhust and got road tuned locally in arizona. I love the tune as well, it definatly made a night and day difference in the perfomance of the car and I have raced many friends with 05 wrx sedans and wagon and have either been dead even or smoked em down and they all have been dyno tuned. So my vote is get a street tune for now, it is way cheaper and for small mods it makes more sense. When you are ready to do some real mod.s like turbo upgrades, etc. then i would say get a dyno tune to be ont he safe side.
another good point
Old 03-08-2008, 10:02 AM

Car Info: 06 sti
i say dyno if you want to be safe and know exactly what is working and what aint... Its to hard to try to drive and tune... A dyno is way safer and you know whats working and what aint.. road tuning is just what you think is helping... "I think its faster now" thats what you will be sayiing but a dyno you will know if you are making more power or not...my 2 cents
Old 03-08-2008, 11:08 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by cdaddy06sti
i say dyno if you want to be safe and know exactly what is working and what aint... Its to hard to try to drive and tune... A dyno is way safer and you know whats working and what aint.. road tuning is just what you think is helping... "I think its faster now" thats what you will be sayiing but a dyno you will know if you are making more power or not...my 2 cents
That's not entirely true. Using road dyno software you can clearly see gains or losses between pulls just like you would on a dyno. That's why I mentioned that you need proper equipment in either case. Tuning by the seat of the pants feel is not something I would recommend since the butt dyno can be quite deceiving.

Thanks
Old 03-09-2008, 04:26 AM

Car Info: WRB "Ricer Edition"
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
I have business insurance.
It's crazy how some don't.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:02 AM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
lol i heard about your adventure with brendan joyce