i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Engine Management (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-management-66/)
-   -   Road tune VS. Dyno tune (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-management-66/road-tune-vs-dyno-tune-177859/)

dustythedeal 01-22-2008 10:49 PM

Road tune VS. Dyno tune

the title of this post is pretty self explanitory. i need some advice, i am trying to figure out which type of tune i should get for my 05 sti.

what are the major differences between a road tune and a dyno tune? and what are the pros and cons for each.

i've narrowed my choices down to mike at gst, and ed with eq-tuning. both came highley recomended!

any advice or personal experience would be greatley appricieated!

turbosmurf02 01-22-2008 11:14 PM

<space reserved for real experiences>

Ie.... Tuners Welcome

sigma pi 02-06-2008 04:29 PM

i road tune my link ecu

1 cheaper

2 i drive on the road not on a dyno

con

1 dangerous

2 cops

03_Impreza_Al 02-06-2008 04:44 PM

You should get a tuned by both and compare for yourself. Its not really what they use to tune your car,but how they tune your car.

VRT MBasile 02-06-2008 05:10 PM

a road is steal road with real resistance, real air flow, real world properties.

A dyno is an immitation of a road

That being said you're gonna get a lot of guys **** talking road tuning because of what sigma pi said.

My vote goes for road tuning

03_Impreza_Al 02-06-2008 08:43 PM

[QUOTE=VRT MBasile;2100344]a road is steal road with real resistance, real air flow, real world properties.

A dyno is an immitation of a road

That being said you're gonna get a lot of guys **** talking road tuning because of what sigma pi said.

My vote goes for road tuning[/QUOTE]

hmmm... a road is a real road with real resistance, real air?

Well when you road tune you want to have a flat surface so there is no resistance. Real air? What is this real air, I don't quite understand. Again one isn't "better" than another. :crazy:

I'm sure Ed wouldn't mind tuning on a dyno if he had his own dyno. Makes things a lot more easier.

OoO i know what about an outdoor dyno...

DomozitoLK 02-06-2008 08:48 PM

[QUOTE=dustythedeal;2085581]i've narrowed my choices down to mike at gst, and ed with eq-tuning. both came highley recomended! [/QUOTE]

I got quotes from both and they both charge the same, even though Mike is on the dyno and Ed is road-tuned.

FW Motorsports 02-07-2008 06:09 PM

On my Mustang dyno:

I can "drive" up a hill forever.
I can vary the "steepness" of the grade.
I can hold a particular vehicle speed...like riding the brakes...without overheating the braking system.

I don't have to worry about another car hitting me, me hitting another car, a cow walking onto the road, a cop pulling me over, an unseen undulation in the road, etc.

Plus, if something does go wrong, I have business insurance. ;)

03_Impreza_Al 02-07-2008 11:07 PM

[QUOTE=Paul@dbtuned;2101724]On my Mustang dyno:

I can hold a particular vehicle speed...like riding the brakes...without overheating the braking system.

I don't have to worry about another car hitting me, me hitting another car, a cow walking onto the road, a cop pulling me over, an unseen undulation in the road, etc.

Plus, if something does go wrong, I have business insurance. ;)[/QUOTE]

:nerd:

RedStage 02-07-2008 11:30 PM

either of those tuners you have narrowed it down too will do you well.
the Dyno is a "Safer" way to go for reasons stated above.

If you had two other tuners in the mix, I'd be worried about which you will have better results with, but you have two of the best to pick from if not the best.

SubyN00by 02-08-2008 12:32 AM

I'm just not liking someone doing 120+ in my car on a public road while trying to pay attention to a laptop screen at the same time...

I'll stick with the dyno tunes...which haven't failed me yet! (=

03_Impreza_Al 02-08-2008 12:55 AM

[QUOTE=SubyN00by;2102058]I'm just not liking someone doing 120+ in my car on a public road while trying to pay attention to a laptop screen at the same time...

I'll stick with the dyno tunes...which haven't failed me yet! (=[/QUOTE]

actually with enginuity you hit the defrost button and it logs the car till you press it again =0

medicSTi 02-08-2008 07:59 AM

i say road tune just because it is more real world.

you take the risks you do, but are they really all that risky compared to how you drive every now and then any way? if no, then don't worry and road tune.

if yes, then worry with a road tune or be worry free with a dyno tune. both tuners have great reviews.

wrxisthebest 02-10-2008 11:12 AM

dyno tune.. FTMFW

juicy 02-10-2008 07:28 PM

[QUOTE=Paul@dbtuned;2101724]On my Mustang dyno:

Plus, if something does go wrong, I have business insurance. ;)[/QUOTE]

Sounds good, see you on Saturday. :eyebrows:

I'd think the person tuning is the most important question. So pick and let them decide.