Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

Hitting the rev limiter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 10:22 PM

Car Info: 2000 2.5RS Silverthorn
Originally posted by msg101
Not trying to steal your thread, but I have a related question.

Redline in the WRX is 7,000, but my rev limiter doesn't cut in until 7,500. This usually only occurs when at the track, and I am unable to keep an eye on the tach. But it has happened a few times......

Should I be worried? I expect to install some type of shift light in my peripheral vision before track season starts. It's only 500 RPM, but it can't be good... Your thoughts/opinions?

FYI, no engine/ECU mods.

MSG
Redline and rev limiter are 2 different things. The redline is there to let you know you are at or near the rev limiter.

Also, hitting the limiter is bad because it leans out the engine for a little. If it completley cut the fuel to the engine it would shut off there for it just limits how much fuel is being entered and there will be more air than fuel making it lean.
Old 03-07-2003, 11:37 AM

Car Info: Impreza OBSTI Ver. V
thats exactly what i thought of dave! (of OakosAutomotive) its was scc that paul tracy did that. it was when scc and other car companies were given a civi si to mod within the boundries of the law(they all cheated BTW) and tracy decided instead of upshifting and downshifting he'd just peg it off the rev limiter a few times while making a turn. the funny thing is i did the same thing and when i read the article i sadi to myself i gotta stop doing that! next autocross...did the same thing ! its like being a crack addict, you know its wrong but you can't help yourself.

the thing that makes it justifyable(at least to me) is that it always seems hard to downshift to first when not going very slow or at least stopped. i dont know if its just my car but it always seems that downshifting to first ,even when its ok to do it rpm-wise, the car fights you too much, and you lose valuable seconds either fighting it or staying in second.
Old 03-09-2003, 06:04 PM

Car Info: Impreza OBSTI Ver. V
Lightbulb

double clutching..... i cant believe i never thought of that! of course next autocross i'll do just that. i(and more importantly..my car) thank you dave. i am already used to double clutching from 4th to 5th(seems to be a common prob) to avoid an annoying grinding sound so it should be no prob to do it autocrossing...thanx!

-Lou