Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

Any input (on PSI3 data display)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 11:02 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
Any Inputs

PSI^3 S.E.C.S. Monitor Unit Type 1 Single DIN VFD - WRX

Description:
Fits in a single DIN slot via enclosure (included). Vehicle information is displayed via the Vacuum Flourescent Display which offers superior clarity, brightness and thermal range. Most data is pulled from your OBD2 port and is therefore plug-and-play. Additional inputs via sensor kits are also available (not included). User defined limits are also available causing an alarm notification if any are breached. Live monitoring of data such as: Battery Voltage, RPM, Vehicle Speed (mph), Coolant Temp, Intake Temp, Injector Pulsewidth, Ignition Timing, Knock Retard (degrees), Lambda A/F, TPS, MAF (grams/sec), Boost (psi), EGT (deg F), etc. The unit is also capable of reading current and historic fault codes and resetting them from the menu. It is capable of shift light with adjustable setpoint (high intensity shift light kit sold separately) and external alarm/shift output. User adjustable alarms including battery high/low, boost pressure and coolant temp plus most additional sensor kit values. It also features peak hold for RPM, Boost, Speed, and Coolant Temp. Also capable of Water Injection or Nitrous Control. SECS unit is compatible with all 99+ Subaru's including STi.

Wanting to know if anybody has this and what are your thoughts..I tried to link the page from Quantum Technologies but it kept showing up as a sway bar...
Old 04-06-2004, 01:07 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
PSI3 site in the UK. I know someone that has the LCD display and it works fine.

http://mikeegan.stormpages.com/PSI.html

EDIT: I have not seen the VFD (vacuum fluorescent display) but it sounds like it would be very nice.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush

Last edited by Wingless Wonder; 04-06-2004 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:39 PM

Car Info: 2003 Black WRX
I bought mine from Quantum Racing a few months back. I like it, I like it alot. I am currently monitoring Intake Temp, Coolant Temp, EGT, and A/F ratio. No problems seeing the LCD screen in any condition. The price is kind of steep until you think about the fact that it replaces 4 gauges.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:33 PM

That's why I was looking at it I don't want a bunch of guages all over the place..Do you have yours set up to monitor boost it says it can do that also..

Last edited by silver satin; 04-06-2004 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:43 PM

Nah, I have the factory column mounted boost gauge and frankly with numbers that quickly change, I find a digital readout less than ideal Here is a pic of mine though.

Really the only thing that sucks about it so far is that when you go to the dealer, they unplug it so that they can use the OBD-II port. I need to find a Y OBD-II Cable.

Old 04-06-2004, 09:52 PM

Yea if you could make a plug so it won't have to be unplugged. When it gets unplugged does it have any effects on it like you have to reset your warnings..
Old 04-06-2004, 09:57 PM

If it is only unplugged for a few minutes, it keeps all of its settings. If it is unplugged for awhile, it looses all its memory/custom settings which kind of blow because you wind up having to redo all the monitors the way you want them
Old 04-06-2004, 10:05 PM

Thats what I was afraid when you mentioned it sucked being unplugged...To hook it up to monitor what would I have to do maybe run a vacum line or does it just work also off the OBDII plug what if you have a MBC???? Sorry to be asking so many questions but I am seriously looking at this..If I decide to get it I'll be ordering it in June or July so it's a toss up between this and some Omori guages..
Old 04-06-2004, 10:19 PM

Presently I am only using the data from the ECU. In order to get real numbers if you are using a MBC/etc, you would have to use a sensor kit. Basically there is this bus of screws on the back, it allows you to add the external sensor kits. Assuming that they had a external sensor kit for boost, you would then probably run a vacuum line to the sensor kit which would then provide an electrical signal to the SECS ECU mon.

What I see right now (on Quantum's site) is Oil Pressue, Oil Temp and Oil Pressure/Oil Temp external sensor kits. I know that they are currently working on an EGT sensor kit. I am not sure what else is coming...

Quantum's page listing the sensors
Old 04-08-2004, 08:19 AM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
A Y cable does exist: Innovative Automotive It's not listed under the Suby section for some reason, but just email them and they can get it to you. It costs <$50 and is worthwhile.

As WW said, I've had this unit for some time (I have one of the original 10 imported into the US) and it is an invaluable tool. As new features are devised by PSI3, you can simply change out the chip to have the most current firmware.

<plug>
My WRX was sold a couple of weeks ago, so I also happen to have my PSI3 (in dash DIN) available for sale. PM if interested or look at the Great Vishnu Stage 2 Partout thread
</plug>

Last edited by Egan; 04-08-2004 at 08:22 AM.