Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

WEIRD noise when A/C is turned on after timing belt replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 11:33 PM

Car Info: JDM STI V7 EWG powered 2003 Subaru MBP WRX
WEIRD noise when A/C is turned on after timing belt replacement...

Help! I replaced my timing belt on MY03 WRX today and now that everything is back together, my car makes a "garbage disposal" sound as soon as I turn on the A/C. I checked and re-checked everything and cannot see why this noise is coming from the engine.

I took a sound clip with my Iphone but I am having the hardest time trying to find a way to get it on here. If you email me your email account, I can forward the sound clip to you for listening.

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-07-2010, 11:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: a blue car
From your description of it, it sounds like the a/c compressor/clutch is going bad. Maybe someone tightened the a/c accessory belt too tight and finished off the bearings on the compressor? Just an idea. An easy way to diagnose this would be to use a mechanic's stethoscope or even just put a long screwdriver against the compressor housing and press your ear against the handle of the screwdriver (ghetto mechanic's stethoscope ) and try to pinpoint the noise. If it has anything to do with the timing belt/idlers/water pump, then it most likely wouldn't matter whether the a/c is on or off. With the car turned off, if you are unable to turn the a/c clutch by hand (or the pulley, once the belt is removed), you can be sure it's either the compressor or a/c compressor clutch, at which point it is usually best to replace the whole compressor/clutch unit as the a/c clutch is expensive and you have no idea how long the compressor will last after replacing the clutch on it.

Last edited by tofuman; 10-07-2010 at 11:12 PM.