Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Transmission problem...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 11:22 PM

Car Info: 99 Silver Impreza
Transmission problem...

Posted this in General already, but figured this forum would yield better results. Sorry!

Alrighty, so I purchased a 1999 2.2L, the perfect college/snowboarding vehicle since I currently am going to school full-time and work part-time on weekends.

I noticed once I got the car, that the entire car vibrates slightly in second gear, right before the auto transmission shifts to third.

I questioned the dealer repeatedly, I didn't know if it was truly something serious or not, but he claimed there are a lot of Subaru's like that.

It's weird, when accelerating in first it's smooth, second it shakes a little as the RPM's get higher, and once it hits third it's smooth the rest of the way up. I am so puzzles and paranoid ( I had a civic that the transmission blew... right after the radiator/waterpump went... followed by a headgasket going).

I am poor, pretty much, I don't have much money to spend on fixing a car up constantly.

The transmission was under warranty for a while, but I got no where when I brought it in to have it checked out. I don't seem to be losing power while it vibrates, it's just really annoying, and all I know is it potentially could be dangerous.

I just don't know if this means the transmission is bad? Should I worry about it too much? I've had the car for well over 9,000 miles now and I have not noticed it getting worse, nor better.

Any insight is helpful, I'm at a loss.
Old 12-07-2003, 02:13 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Have your tires rotated and balanced. Vibrations that happen at one specific speed tend to be tire induced. And don't go back tho that dealer. Any service writer who tells you a vibration is normal doesn't know what he is talking about.