Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Some recente experience with transmission fluids

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 10:00 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
Some recente experience with transmission fluids

So a few weeks back I posted some gear oil woes. So here's what I've seen and experienced.

Recap: I had the stock fluid and was experiencing all the normal crap. - hard to get into first gear, - hard to get into reverse, - occassional grinding going from first to second, -some times trouble shifting quickly in higher gears - notchy shifting

First change: Valvoline 80w90

Nothing got better. First gear synco got worse with the addition of a short but solid thumping grind getting into first. Not always, but often enough, even after a long full stop at a light.

Second change: Redline Shockproof Lightweight

Wow this stuff is freaky, its light blue. Immediately I could tell it was better. It wasn't like a miracle drug for the transmission. But all that notchiness, while still bumpy, was much smoother. No more thumping going into first. Now that its well more than a week I have had a few frustrating moments getting into first after stopping at a light, it just didn't wanna go in. In aggrivation I force it into first, even after trying to slip it properly.

Over all, I still like the Redline over the stock stuff. But I definitely have problems with my synchros which I need to address... under warranty I'll never put the Valvoline 80w90 back in.

FYI - I don't think the Shockproof is specifically GL-5 or MT-1 rated. So I might have to change all this fluid out before I take it in for warranty work. Yeah doesn't that suck? It doesn't meet some suggested specification but works better than what's suggested

Well, that's my story.

jason
Old 09-03-2003, 09:16 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Re: Some recente experience with transmission fluids

Originally posted by mmboost
FYI - I don't think the Shockproof is specifically GL-5 or MT-1 rated. So I might have to change all this fluid out before I take it in for warranty work. Yeah doesn't that suck?
It doesn't suck because the problem should be easier to reproduce with dino GL-5 in the box, which should make it easier to get warranty repair work done, right?
Old 09-03-2003, 12:32 PM
VIP Member

That's actually a really good point. I just have to probabaly do it twice, for a good flushing. While I'm doing that I'll just keep thinking "That's actually a really good point"

jason
Old 09-03-2003, 02:37 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Just trying to keep things looking positive.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:07 PM
VIP Member

About 24k now. The last couple of thousand miles 1st has been getting more troublesome.

jason

p.s.. [edit] admittedly I'm not a granny driver. But the transmission in my Saturn lasted 7 years before it exploded. This has been about 1.5 years and the transmission is more cranky than that 7 year old one before it gave out

Last edited by mmboost; 09-03-2003 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:23 PM
VIP Member

How long since you did this? The 50/50 mix sounds interesting. Right now, with the shockproof it feels like I am back to the original status, but yet not as notching. Other problem, have all come back.

Also, another trick I figured out the second time around (I'm sure that I'm not the first person to think of this), after most of the draining, I lowered the front of the car to drain the rest... lots more came out.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:06 PM

Car Info: Viper ACR & H1
I used Mobil 1 synthetic. Shifts much nicer and easier. highly reccomend. $6.99/qt.

Nick
Old 09-29-2003, 01:25 PM

I just put the Redline 75w90ns in mine last week. There is a night and day difference in shifting.

I'm not sure the shockproof stuff will do much good in the WRX tranny. My Mitsu friend likes to run it in his diffs when drag racing. I think that's the only time you'll really see the benifits of the 'shock loading' stuff put in shockproof.

Then again.. If you like to drop the clutch alot, it might help it a little.

Jason