Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

3rd is gone???

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 07:31 AM

Car Info: www.tristatetuners.com
Kean,

Whats your story? You post all over these broken trans threads. Have you had any problems with yours? You work for SOA? Just wondering because you seem to enjoy shutting people up.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:41 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX / 08 Forester
Originally posted by t-wrexxx
Kean,

Whats your story? You post all over these broken trans threads. Have you had any problems with yours? You work for SOA? Just wondering because you seem to enjoy shutting people up.
Hi t-wrexxx,

The last thing I want to do is shut people up (that's not my intention). I just wanted to show that there may be more to the story than what people see in these posts. I guess I got tired of seeing folks come on to these forums and join the "defective design/glass tranny" band wagon without considering that some of these claims are from people who abuse their vehicles (or possible do).

btw, I don't work for SOA. .......and I haven't had any breakage issues with my particular transmission.

- Kean
Old 01-26-2004, 04:24 PM

I agree that 90% of these broken transmission claims are from user abuse. I also think that of the 10% that are actual valid breakages, half of those customers are denied legitimate claims because of the other 90%. It sucks.

But no offense was intended, and I apologise if that is the way that it was taken.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by t-wrexxx
I agree that 90% of these broken transmission claims are from user abuse. I also think that of the 10% that are actual valid breakages, half of those customers are denied legitimate claims because of the other 90%. It sucks.

But no offense was intended, and I apologise if that is the way that it was taken.
Offense to me? .....none taken.

I agree it sucks when folks with legitimate claims get denied. What percentage this works out to be, we may never know and I'm not even going to guess. What I do know is that there are members on these forums who cry foul yet have proven to be abusive with their vehicles (and/or they're not always telling the whole story). Folks who abuse the system certainly don't help those who are just looking for a fair shake when they go in for warranty repairs. However, I don't believe this excuse should give SOA carte blanche to deny every claim by calling it abuse (if that's in fact what they're doing).

I try to keep an objective view in these types of debates. Whether or not there is a true issue with the build quality/design of the Subaru 5MT has yet to be proven. The jury is still out (in my opinion).

- Kean
Old 01-27-2004, 02:56 PM

Why the hell doesnt Subaru just come up with a new 5MT or just put the sti 6spd in all their cars, it will save them and us alot of money and hassle!
If you think that throwing the STi 6-speed trans into a standard WRX would save SOA and us money you are wrong. That gearbox is more expensive for them to make, and would raise the price of the WRX; therefore making it more expensive to us the consumers.

There isnt anything wrong with the 5 speed trans.

Well thats just the bad luck. If 90% of anything breaking was because of abuse. Wouldnt you think that they would start takeing a closer look at it and start being alittle more carefull about whose parts they are replaceing. I would cost them too much money if they just started replaceing all the parts that were broke because of abuse. So there just being carefull. Cant blame them for that now can you?
I agree that SOA is being careful about what they do and do not fix. I have also heard from a Subaru tech that SOA sent out a memo to service managers with a list of transmission problems that can automatically be denied on the ground of abuse.

If that is true, then they are not being careful. They are being cheap weasels.

Im trying to get a copy. If I do, you will all know about it very quickly.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:27 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: subaru
T-Wrex I have to disagree with your last statement

Putting the six speed Sti transmission termed as "bulletproof" by some, in the standard WRX would not only give the car a 6MT that would help compete with the Acura RSX's TypeS, but also ensure that future repairs are kept to a minimum. I think Subaru could justify putting the better transmission in the WRX by making it an option rather than a standard component, or just make it standard equipment and raise the price accordingly.

I think the 5MT in the WRX is decent for an economy car, but not up to the standards of a sports car. It's arguable whether the WRX is a sports car or economy, but it has to be said that Honda or Toyota could build a stronger tranny and probably for less $.

Also: choosing to baby or abuse the car is the driver's choice and the consequences should be known to someone who drivers it like they stole it. The WRX/Sti is a solid car but isn't built to take a lot of abuse.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by thebankman
Also: choosing to baby or abuse the car is the driver's choice and the consequences should be known to someone who drivers it like they stole it. The WRX/Sti is a solid car but isn't built to take a lot of abuse.
Baby or abuse? Why would it be one or the other for a choice? If an owner has an abusive driving style, then he/she is not operating the car properly. You can still drive the WRX agressively without abusing it and there's certainly no need to "baby" the car. With a little common sense, proper technique, & regular maintenance/care, I think some of the problems we've read about could have been avoided.

- Kean
Old 01-28-2004, 11:11 AM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
Kean, hehe, that was pretty cool.

I am anti-warrany-scaming. 150% so.

You play, you pay.

Short, simple and to the point. Don't like it, keep your car stock and sleep well.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2009 G Ride
Originally posted by Imprezer
Kean, hehe, that was pretty cool.

I am anti-warrany-scaming. 150% so.

You play, you pay.

Short, simple and to the point. Don't like it, keep your car stock and sleep well.
I gotta agree with Alex on this one. If you are gonna mod your car, and the mods are directly related to the warranty claim you make, it's your own fault and you should pay yourself. But I've been in situations where my window is squeeking and they blame it on the BOV, that is when I have a problem. Good luck. (Go with RA gears hehe)