i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.i-club.com/forums/drivetrain-67/)
-   -   3rd is gone??? (https://www.i-club.com/forums/drivetrain-67/3rd-gone-43784/)

805WRX 01-05-2004 12:45 PM

3rd is gone???

i got a question, my 3rd gear is gone, i don't know how it went but it was not because of racing.
If 3rd gear stripped its teeth, would it still be possible to drive the car with the other remaining gears?

or would the left over teeth floating around in the tranny kill the other gears?

could there be something else wrong with my car and not be a stripped gear.

the car is still driveable and selects ever gear fine except when i shift to 3rd its as if the car is in neutral with a scrapping sound.:confused:

DrD 01-05-2004 03:12 PM

Well - it might be ok - you really need to get all of the debris out of there, though. Also - if it's a stripped gear, it should be painfully evident when you change the gear oil.

Kean 01-07-2004 12:30 PM

I agree with DrD. Personally, I wouldn't continue to drive it around until you have a chance to crack it open an asses the damage (or at least drain the oil to have a look. You only risk further damage if you keep running it this way.

- Kean

AzN121184 01-08-2004 12:41 AM

ouch....can u give us some details as then when this started happening?

02silversuby 01-08-2004 03:28 AM

i would not let all those metal shavings be floating around in the gear oil change it out and clean the drail plug.

-Adam

t-wrexxx 01-08-2004 08:47 PM

[QUOTE]i got a question, my 3rd gear is gone, i don't know how it went but it was not because of racing[/QUOTE]

I think someone either has a guilty conscience or isn't telling us the whole story. If you stripped 3rd gear you would know it. You would hear all the teeth getting knocked around your gearbox until they all settled in the bottom or got caught by the magnetic drain screw.

And my assumption would be that if you stick the car into 3rd gear and it feels like neutral, then 3rd is stripped.

How did it happen?? Tell us the story. You just dont wake up to a stripped gear.

Br1t1shguy 01-09-2004 10:36 AM

unless he was doing redline clutch dumps he doesnt have to have a guilty conscience. It's not his fault subaru threw an archaic tranny on a motor far too powerfull for it lol.

People say "dont do that **** to an AWD car". Thats funny, because you can do whatever you want to a mitsu, BMW, porsche, etc AWD driveline and it'll hold up.

I love subaru, but I hate the 5 speed...

Kean 01-09-2004 11:26 AM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Br1t1shguy[/i]
[B] unless he was doing redline clutch dumps he doesnt have to have a guilty conscience. It's not his fault subaru threw an archaic tranny on a motor far too powerfull for it lol. [/B][/QUOTE] There are many ways to abuse a transmission other than just doing "clutch dumps".

...also, why do you say the transmission is arhcaic? Abuse is abuse. The fact that other manufaturers may produce a more robust design doesn't change that fact.

....and if I dropped cash on an AWD Porsche or BMW, I would expect a certain amount of "over-engineering".

805WRX 01-10-2004 10:54 AM

i do not abuse my car, it also has only one modd which is a vishnu up pipe. this also happened on a freeway. all i did was downshift to 3rd cause i ran in to a traffic jam and as soon as i shift to 4th the shifter went into a void position with this nasty sound and would not let me select any gears.

i pulled over turned off the car and started it up again, and i shift through all the gears perfect but it had to nosie still, i couldn't get road side cause im out of the 36K roadside assistance so i merged back on to the freeway and when i shifted to 3rd nothing was there. all the other gears went in fine so i drove back home and called up my subaru dealer and they don't want to cover it. my car has 43k on it.

Kean 01-13-2004 10:27 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by 805WRX[/i]
[B] i do not abuse my car, it also has only one modd which is a vishnu up pipe. [/B][/QUOTE]

[B] im new here and i was wondering what is the best way to launch a wrx without breaking the tranny?

i have 33,000 miles on the odo.
here are my mods:

Vishnu up-pipe
GFB pulleys
STi exhaust
STi iridium plugs
STi radiator cap
Greddy profec-b set at 1.2 bar
Greddy arnix airfilter
Greddy turbo timer
HKS down-pipe
HKS SQ bov
HKS DB boost gauge
Fidanza lighthen flywheel
RPS Max series street clutch
Subaru short throw shifter
Pilot sport tires [/B][/QUOTE]

[B] i tried it and i pulled a 12.65 on the G-tech at 109 mph.
thats cazy, can i rely on that.
i got another new mod too, the HKS header [/B][/QUOTE]

[B] this is from a 15MPH roll, (to the 7's advantage)

he's got apex-i intakes, gutted cat, hks bov, hks carbon titanium exhaust

i got Vishnu uppipe, SPT exhaust with restrictor removed, GFB's pulley's, aasco flywheel, hks bov, 1.0 bar of boost

[url]http://subzero.mine.nu/celica/XfactorWRX_1.avi[/url] [/B][/QUOTE]

[B] When my tranny went the first time I got a fidanza flywheel and a RPS streetable clutch kit. 1st gear was shot, so it was my fault and i was honest to the dealer and told them what happened. they were cool and decided to give $700 towards parts to fix my car as long i pay for labor (which was about $1200 for me) PLAY YOU PAY. so i went ahead and bought the fidanza and RPS clutch.
the mechanic then told me that the flywheel hole where the pilot bearing goes was a little to big, that the bearing is suppose to barely fit in there. keep in mine my car was out for 3 months because some tranny part was on back order. so i bought other mods and they put them on for me along with a signed agreement saying my warranty can be voided with some of my mods. they installed my vishnu uppipe, STi irdium plugs, flywheel, clutch, and GFB pulley's. back to the flywheel, i decided to put the stock one in and they had my car out ready to go. broke in my tranny with about a 700 miles. i was like no more AWD clutch dumps for me. 3days later i take a co-worker for a ride in my new monster, i let it warm up and then i gun it in the empty parking lot at like 3 in the morning (night shift) and he was damn thats f**ken fast, that was just 1st gear, so i went for another pass and this i shifted into 2nd and boom......... 2ND gear gone all the teeth are gone. got it towed back and had them rip it apart again. meanwhile i started to read up on my car here on the I-club and found out that upgraded clutch can be harsh for AWD highpowered cars. i guess i needed to feather it into 2nd DUH!. then again YOU PLAY YOU PAY, YOU PLAY WRONG YOU PAY MORE.lol. i told the dearler ship again what happened and they cut me another break (pay for labor) $900 bucks. this time i called up fidanza about the big hole thing and they said that the hole will get smaller when the flywheel heat up hence thats why they made the hole bigger, so he recomended i get some lock tight to keep it in there while the hole shrinks on to the pilot bearing. so the put it in and week later i was driving my car again and racing some muscle like camaroSS and modded stangs. i learned how to feather it off the line and into 2nd. pretty soon my clutch started to feel like it was going, its only been like 6000miles. the mechanic felt the clutch pedal and said i needed a new clutch. decided to go with a stock disc. so i drop my tranny in my garage and see that it was not my clutch but my flywheel, the fidanza had all kinds of hot spots and wore out one side of the clutch.

so now my question is what flywheel should i go with?????..... please help [/B][/QUOTE]

805WRX 01-13-2004 11:57 PM

:o cars been stock for more than 6 months, cause i was planing on buying a STi.

look at the date that those post were posted. my car has gone through many stages and has gone through 2 trans already which i paid for 3800 buks total,

805WRX 01-14-2004 12:02 AM

3rd gear is stripped, this will be the last time i repair this car, after that its gone:(

SHADO 01-14-2004 05:23 AM

Quote:
3rd gear is stripped, this will be the last time i repair this car, after that its gone

You make it sound assif its the cars fault that it fuxored and it did it all on its own, no offence but you have obviously abused this car, a gear doesnt just strip by itslelf.

805WRX 01-14-2004 12:17 PM

when i bought the car i wasen't planning on babying it for its entire life, the engine has been pretty bullet proof, can't say the same about the tranny.

gilmore25 01-14-2004 12:34 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by 805WRX [/i]
[B]when i bought the car i wasen't planning on babying it for its entire life, the engine has been pretty bullet proof, can't say the same about the tranny. [/B][/QUOTE]

I think you need to swap to the sti 6 speed you drive alot like I did when I first got the car modded. Now I dont drive it hard enough and it get's carboned up, so use for the STI tranny but I hear nobody has broken one yet you might wanna try:) GL