Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

03WRX cannot get into ANY gear when car is running??

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 02:03 PM

Car Info: JDM STI V7 EWG powered 2003 Subaru MBP WRX
03WRX cannot get into ANY gear when car is running??

Hello All,
I woke up this morning, jumped in my 2003 WRX and drove to work. Things are good.

I get out to my car for lunch, start it up just like normal, push in the clutch, and shift to reverse. With the clutch pedal FULLY pushed down, the car would not let me shift to reverse....gave a sound as if the clutch wasnt pushed down at all (grind type sound). I left the car on, pushed the clutch down again, held it, and tried to shift into first, however shifter would not go into gear, no noises (like it did when trying reverse), just would not even go into the gear. Turned the car off.

With the car off now, I pushed in the clutch and held it, then shifted into all gears just fine. I turned the car on, thinking MAYBE things just werent lined up before. Repeated the steps above, but nothing....would not go into gear at all.

Now I am stranded at work about 40mi from home. I am hoping I can get something helpful from here (as I have in the past) so that I dont have to get the car towed home. I am a big NEWB when it comes to the transmission on the car, so please speak in MY language (LOL). I appreciate any help you all can give me.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:36 PM

Car Info: Foz
damn that sucks, sometimes my car doesnt go into gear easily in the morning when its cold, just gotta throw it in there. if you can get the car into first u should be good to go. try going all the way over to the left with the stick and shifting into second then slamming it into first right from second. if u can get into first u should just leave it in there and have someone push u out of ur parking spot so you dont need to reverse. just so u can make it home.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:40 PM

LOL, yes it DOES suck.....I was very pissed........Especially since it WORKED this morning when it WAS cold outside....LOL......Now Im just frantically looking online and trying to find a solution.....Thanks for the response...
Old 02-11-2011, 04:12 PM

Car Info: 2016 STI
It sounds like you need a new clutch. Signs of when your clutch goes out is not being able to get in first or reverse. I know the norm with WRX with it not wanting to go in reverse and getting around it by going to first or second then reverse. But your saying you hear a grinding like the clutch is not pushed in, that sounds like the clutch has lived its life.

Things to check. 1)Your resivoir on the firewall, see if its low on fluid. look for the yellow cap but not your brake booster one. 2) have someone help you with this. if you have a top mount intercooler this will be harder to see. Have someone press on the clutch and look ontop of your tranny, the bell housing, and you should see a lever moving. if its moving then that means your hydraulics part of the clutch system is working but your clutch is toast.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:16 PM

Car Info: $2000 hawkeye
I bet your clutch master cylinder reservoir is empty/low on fluid
Old 02-11-2011, 04:42 PM

Thanks for the reply and the good advice guys. I checked out the fluids and it looks fine to me, not below the "min" line yet. I will try out the #2 option tonight before I decide to have the wifey pick me up. Really sucks that it might be the clutch saying adios....Just so weird that everything was fine and dandy this am when I drove 40+miles to work, and then just boom, gone.....toast. And that when the car is off, I can still shift into all the gears.....but as soon as the car is on, its blocked. Anyone else have any less expensive idears? lol
Old 02-12-2011, 08:54 AM

Ok, I'm bumping this post up again. I got a ride home last night. When I tried option #2 in the above post, I did see the lever move. So now I'm trying to figure out what to do.....car is in concord and I live in vacaville. From the above post I assume I'm going to need a new clutch, but probably need someone to actually look at it prior to buying a new clutch for it. I'm very limited on money right now and am trying to figure out the best case senerio. Anyone know of a loyal shop in the area (either Vacaville or concord) that is reasonable and trustworthy?? I don't want to be gouged in the wallet especially since I really don't know what is the culprit. Any help would be great, thanks again!