Best Way To Launch For Drag Racing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 12:35 PM

Car Info: 04' WRX Silver Scooby
Best Way To Launch For Drag Racing?

What's the best way to launch for drag racing that does the least amount of damage to the car and gives the best performance / time?

I'm running 14.9 with a 04 WRX and the following:

GReddy Evo 2 Exhaust
Perrin light weight crank pulley
AEM Short Ram
Cobb Short Throw
Eibach Springs
Yoko AVS ES 100's (225/55/WR16's)

I've tried launching from 4-5k RPMs, tried launching with no RPMs, just stomping it off the line...same result...Also, what does it mean when someone says, "what is your 60 time?" I know it's not what is your 0-60 time, so what is it then???

I'm open to any and all suggestions...

Thanks

Chris
Newark, DE
Old 06-29-2005, 12:52 PM

Car Info: 2006 CGM WRX
idle at the light and when the tree starts dropping, rev your motor to 5k+ rpm and dump the clutch... 60 time refers to your 60 ft time, your times suck, launch it like i said and shift as fast as possible and maybe youll run what i ran.. 14.160@96.011 with airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock cat back exhaust, so you should be runing right on par of my time
Old 06-29-2005, 02:19 PM

Yeah, I suck

I know I suck, my current 60ft time is 2.3...so yeah... i just need to get faster...I've been launching off the line well, i guess i'm just shifting slow...that first to second is what's killing me i guess...

and 14.9 is just junk...

thanks for the input...let me know if you have any other advice

Chris
Old 06-29-2005, 02:33 PM

Question Also....

Also, what RPMs are you shifting at going from 1st to 2nd???
Old 07-01-2005, 08:23 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX
dont dump your clutch... when you do that, youll blow a gear, trust me i recently did that.. i think your shifting is really bad, only because the last time i went to the track, it was the day before i went to get a new clutch/flywheel set up, (and S-Squared told me how my clutch was ***ed after they took it out ), but i wasnt able to launch so i just went from 3k and slipped it in, went to redline in every gear, clutch was slipping all the way to the 1320 mark, and i still got a 14.82 at 96mph.. and all i have is turboback, and air hog... but when you go to launch the safest way is to rev your car up to around 5k, and then slip in the clutch a bit, untill you feel your tires move, then go ahead and let out and just wait till redline to shift as fast as you can.. most people say in STi's.. to shift at 6500rpm... but its all up to you..
Old 07-28-2005, 04:22 AM
Troll

Car Info: GT35R White 2005 Impreza STi and a 2000 Camaro Z28/RS
Originally Posted by sylencce
I know I suck, my current 60ft time is 2.3...so yeah... i just need to get faster...[b]I've been launching off the line well, i guess i'm just shifting slow[b]...that first to second is what's killing me i guess...

and 14.9 is just junk...

thanks for the input...let me know if you have any other advice

Chris

Your 60' time says otherwise, a 2.3 is a ****ty 60' time for ANY car, let alone AWD you should be ATLEAST 1.9 60' times, my third time EVER racing my sti i got a 1.9 60' time, you can get that in any wrx. just keep practicing man, You are probably dumping, which is worse on the tranny plus it makes you bogg which slows you down BADDDDD. Drag racing is gunna kill your clutch you gotta accept that, its the hardest thing for it, because if you want a good time well.... u basically have to tell your clutch to **** off and try to hold on the best it can, cuz you will need to ride the hell outa it.(well not to bad)