Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

Ford drops BOMB on STi

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 03:01 PM

Location: Mantana, where the men are men and so are the women
Car Info: '03 red legacy
gt-r's are definately some badass cars but if i had my druthers i'd take the STi. sooooo much cooler!
Old 06-03-2003, 03:07 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX, 06 Evo IX MR, now 2010 STi
Thumbs up

yep, if you like walking buy a ford.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:08 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
yeah, actually Marko Martin has retired from the last two rallys (Argentina most recently) with transmission and engine failure respectively in the new Ford. interestingly enough, the old Focus was regarded as one of the toughest cars in the WRC, even though it wasn't the fastest. about the only cars tougher were the Skoda Octavias, but they were twice the size.
the STi is definitely cooler than the SVT Focus, but so is the WRX. when i bought my '03 i'd driven the SVT Focus first, and the WRX blew it away.
Old 06-04-2003, 10:11 AM

Car Info: 03' WRB
i know someone with a ford cosworth... looks nice in pictures but bad azz in person. FORD (first on race day). But i think that ford really needs to sit down and redesign the focus b4 they bring their awd car to the states... UGGGGGLLLLY
Old 06-04-2003, 12:32 PM

i don't know, i've always believed in friends don't let friends drive fords. and why is almost everybody in the wrc driving for citroen or peugeot these days? Loeb, sainz, burns, gronholm, and is mcrae?? whatever it is i don't like it...
Old 06-04-2003, 01:26 PM

the reason that Sainz and McRae left Ford was pretty simple, Ford didn't have the budget to keep them. there is also the argument that neither thought that the Focus could be competative in the championship. the Focus was always a durable gravel car on rough rallys, but wasn't ever really the fastest on gravel or pavement. Citroen had two open seats, and the need for a couple of experienced fast guys to help develop the car and win rallys.
as for Burns moving to Peugot, that's pretty easy too. since Gronholm won his first championship, the 206 has been the car to beat. Burns won the championship in his Subaru due to several other competators retiring on the last rally of the year. his contract was up with Subaru, and he felt he'd be better able to defend his title in the 206. he hadn't counted on Gronholm being so damn fast.
Old 06-04-2003, 06:13 PM

The ford drivers i did not know. burns i knew why, but it's still depressing. i pull for the subies and they just can't go well... i know that they've got solberg and makinnen but seeing things so dominated.... it's almost like ferrari in the F1. let's just hope that they shrink the wrx a little....
Old 06-04-2003, 07:03 PM

the thing with the Subarus this year is kinda strange. there have been times that both Tommi and Peter have been able to keep up with, and in some cases take stage wins from Gronholm. the trouble is that they can't seem to do it with any consistancy, and doing so seems to use up the car pretty badly. how many times have we seen either of them out due to a huge crash from pushing too hard, or from the gearbox failing?
the real differance between Ferrari in F1 and Peugot in the WRC, is the unpredictable nature of the events. F1 cars have mechanicals, but nowhere near as often as the WRC casrs, which are beat on a whole lot more. Gronholm doesn't win races like Schumacher does, he tends to either win, or have a serious mechanical failure.
Old 06-04-2003, 07:56 PM

oh i know. ui follow both as much as i can. but relatively, gronholm is the same as schumacher. and also with the wrc there is less tactics with pit stiops. i think there is far more driver skill involved, which makes it far more fun to watch. plus there's the whole sideways thing going for it. mmmmmm rally. i might just go hit the gravel pit.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:24 PM

yeah, F1 pit stops and WRC service parks are a bit differant. lets face it, you'll never see an F1 team swap out a gear box, replace six body panels (or just beat them far enough away from the tires with a hammer), a windshield and a broken wheel in a 20 minute pit stop!
Old 06-05-2003, 04:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: silver MIAMI wrx in the bay area
F ound O n R oad D ead. hee hee.

one of my co-workers told me this. just wanna share you all.

Last edited by SF miami WRX; 06-05-2003 at 04:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Ford drops BOMB on STi