Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

any WRX owners DRIVEN an SRT-4

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 02:29 AM
VIP Member

i think the srt-4 is pretty quick but dodge.....
Old 11-05-2003, 08:38 AM

downshift I know AWD is a big advantage, but the FWD does have the advantage of minimal drivetrain loss, which is why I hear it's able to keep up with an evo ("from a roll" of course)

You guys just don't want me to make up my mind do you?? Thing is, I won't have any cash to mod the suby, so it's pretty interesting I hear you say that about the cats and open exhuast. Does the muffler come off easily after the axle, and is it easy to return to stock? Is there any danger of exhaust leaking into the cabin? I don't see how w/out tuning this could put the wrx in direct competition with the srt-4. I'm sure it would create more equal hp numbers, but again, the whole drivetrain loss deal would make the srt-4 pull ahead.

I'm sure you'll argue with me that the srt-4 might be getting more power to the wheels, but does it get it to the GROUND? Probably not, right off the line, but I really don't care about 1/4 mile, 0-60, etc. I just want the car that feels better when I've already gotten the car going. No clutch drops for me...to expensive and risky. From what I've heard the SRT-4 IS faster. But is it faster enough (heh) to justify it being FWD????

of yeah---so i guess thats a no for the used evo, s4, or stgIII gti?

Last edited by dorrington; 11-05-2003 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:47 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRB Wagon (Cobb AccessPort, P7's), 2-73 914 2.0, 74 914-2.0
Downshift,

It all comes down to money. Yes, you can build a WRX that will kill an SRT-4 if you put enough money into it. So to the SRT Forums page or check Club WRX for those who have run them and you will notice that from a roll, Stage 1 SRT's are beating STi's and EVO's (with Stage 1 they are running mid-13's and trapping in the 100-105 range). They are even pretty even with Stage 4 WRX's. The AWD is great for launching but from a roll, it is additional weight and drag. Gutting the uppipe will improve the WRX's performance and probably put it on par with the stock SRT but by adding $1k to the price of the SRT (price of Stage 1), which still would cost less than a WRX, the SRT will kill a WRX in accelleration.

In terms of quality, the WRX wins. Rear windows that hand crank?! Long term, I also think the WRX wins.

From what I gather, Dorrington is looking for a car that is fast with relatively few mods. 99% of the time he doesn't drive in conditions that warrant AWD.

I've posted elsewhere several times, if the SRT was RWD I would consider one for a track car. Put a set of Hoosiers on it and do some minor suspension tuning and that thing would be great bang-for-the-buck at the track. But I HATE driving FWD (which is one of the reasons I bought the WRX)!
Old 11-05-2003, 09:13 AM

thanks again sea dragon--

The AWD would be more for the handling than inclement weather. I, too, hate FWD. The torque steer scare the crap outta me on the SRT! If this is true about the upipe making the wrx on par ("from a roll") with the srt, Ill get the rex
Old 11-05-2003, 10:36 AM
VIP Member

I think it would be uppipe and MBC to get it even with the stock SRT in the 1/4. From a roll, it would still be SRT. The WRX's advantage is in the launch. And, to repeat, for an additional $1k you can get the Mopar Stage 1 and still have money left to buy stickier front tires for the SRT.

You really need to drive both and put them through the paces to see which fits your needs. Other advantage of the WRX is WAGON. Makes things nice for hauling stuff (another reason I bought the WRX ).

The SRT is just faster for the money than the WRX if that is what you are looking for. Sure you can build a 400 hp WRX, , but it going to cost you a lot of $$$ (I'm not sure if you can do the same with the SRT).

Last edited by Sea Dragon Rex; 11-05-2003 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:41 AM

Car Info: dream car Subaru STi
first of all i hate to brag or sound conceited but its the only wat to get to the point, ill smoke most fools using my bone stock parts, open exhaust gutted uppipe, no use of the stock muffler except to fake out the po po's because the flow is running right under the drivers seat.

now u kno why ill smoke a srt4 bone stock, because its up to the driver, boy i wish i could sho u too bad its a big world with endless streets. and my preference is the WRX. anyways enough shiet talkin.

the srt4 will not beat an evo off the line or on a roll, EVO and STi will murder so dont even compare those supercars with a srt4. WRX.. that is a supercar waiting to be released from its chains. its foundation ej20. do u want a supercar? or do you want a fastcar? id take the supercar.

yes everything is up to money, thats why invest in in the lancer or impreza. first of all, its super easy for supercar WRX to hit high 13's bone stock. just take off one cat. FREE.

STi's and EVO's hit low low 13's bone stock, u think srt4's mid 13's is something better? thats about as fast as the srt4 is gona get. its already at peak potential unless u want to invest more than the bone stock STi to forge the internals, because the internals arent going to hang with a 12 second srt4. they are gona blow the motor to hell before u know it. take off one cat or open exhaust ur evo or STi, that shiet is already hitting 12's with stock parts.

anyways theres still too much to explain and ima give up cause frankly id be more glad to have wanabes that think they kno buy the srt4, its an embarrasment to the wrx owners to have the driver hit 15's 16's on a wrx. rather have them do that on the srt4.

u dont even need to build up a WRX to kill an srt4, its the other way around, u need to build up the srt4's internals to kill a ej20.

the WRX just needs free mods, put ice in the scoop, free temporary hp gains, gutted uppipe, take off cats, boom. WRX kills

oh yea, the wagon wrx is slower, im comparing the sports sedan vs the srt4. once have an open exhaust u ecu will automatically boost more about 2psi more, that is enough to take out the srt4, plus the uppipe mod itll boost even more. the engine reads more flow there for its wanting to boost higher. there is only one true turbo 4 cylinder sports sedan, thats the impreza. whoever has a srt4 bone stock, im ready to take u out with my bone stock wrx, with gutted uppipe, FREE and open exhaust, FREE. srt4 is welcome to use free mods too, but u c... the WRX hasbetter bolt ons, easy to bolt and unbolt. at the end, stage 2 WRX will take out any SRT4. thats because and i repeaat..... the srt4 comes with a WEAK crank. dodge did not want this secret info to be let out ofcourse they want to sell. CHEAP srt4 and fast yes... tahts why its FWD and costs $23,000 out the door with a turbo on a 2.4L., turbochargers are cheap, the question is can the engine handle the power? the srt4 can handle its stock turbo, but not a bigger one. itll break the crankshaft. how do i know this stuff... my good friend works on cars... he builds and rebuilds engines, jdm motors mostly and he told me this secret about the crankshaft because he studied the internals as he took it apart, the ej20 block is designed to withsstand massive power, not the srt4 block, its made to withstand up to 13's on a 1/4.

ok dorrington, in ur case u just want to cruise, b fast, smoke most of the fools on the streets, get teh srt4 but dont expect to get aftermarket turbochargers. u will be limited to speed but hey.. 14 13 second 4 cylinder dodge rocket, that is something to enjoy. at least u can pik on the stock hondas and badly skilled stock wrx drivers with automatics.

u want to be top dawg? at least start with the ej20. manual.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:46 AM

anyways talk is cheap. ill find an srt4 at the strip and have my buddy film us drag race. then ill place it on this forum.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:33 AM

Originally posted by dorrington
I really don't care about 1/4 mile, 0-60, etc.
sorry thanks for your all your help so far but your trying to sell me with statistics and numbers I could care less about. I don't drag race and I definitely don't street race. I'd really just like the car that "feels" better, that "feels" faster. If the WRX is even CLOSE, I will go with that. But, I've heard the SRT compared to the evo and STi and evo when it comes to speed from a roll, because of the lack of drivetrain loss.

I'd still be interested for input on a stgIII'd used a4 or GTI, a used evo, or used s4. Would these be capable and affordable?
Old 11-06-2003, 09:12 AM
VIP Member

I wouldn't consider the STi or the EVO supercars. Not when you've driven the new Porsche Turbo or ridden in the GT2, GT3, and Viper.

And to state a car is faster because the driver is better is a ridiculous argument (I've beaten 911 Carreras and Turbos in my 914 2.0 at the race track (Laguna Seca, Sears Point, Thunderhill and Buttonwillow) but does that mean my 914 is a faster car? ).

My point is that dollar-for-dollar the SRT is a faster car than the WRX. To argue that the WRX can be modded so that it is faster than the SRT is pointless. You can do that with any car with enough money. If I take my 914 and put enough money in it, it will kill the STi and the EVO in the quarter and on the roadcourse (I had a 914-6 that had 250 whp, weighed 1900#s and turned the quarter in the 12's on P7's, which were great for traction in their day but nothing close to what's available today).

Yes, you can gut the uppipe for free (except the time that it takes to remove, gut and re-install it) and it will improve the performance of the WRX but a Stage 1 SRT will still beat it.

I didn't say the SRT was beating the STi's and the EVO's in the 1/4. From a roll the Stage 1's will give them a run for the money. Check the trap speeds at the end of the 1/4. Their times are slower in but they are trapping the same or higher. Also check the other forums for STi's that have run SRT's.

When you go to the race track, find an SRT-4 with a good driver then report back. Better yet, find one that has spent the same amount of money on their car as you did on your car.

As I stated before, I think the WRX is a great car and there's no way I would have purchased an SRT-4 in place of it. There are other issues such as reliability, comfort (including noise), safety and convenience where the WRX wins hands down.

Also, in stock form the performance difference between Wagon and Sedan are minimal. The 80# difference on a 3100# car is minimal and the differences in the 1/4 I've seen are maybe 1 or 2 tenths of a second.

Anyway, Dorrington needs to drive both cars to see which suits him.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:25 PM

true, i agree with some things u said such as watever suits dorrington, but the EVO and STi ARE supercars, see this is where u dont kno the true performance of these cars, the evo and STi can take out carreras like nothing, they are jdm supercars. they rank better than a lambourghini on the track. u say they arent supercars? the porche's are top dawg, only the turbo models, other than that, the evo and STi out performs carrera's and boxters, non turbo that is.

your right about to state a car is faster because the driver is better IS ridiculous, i was just being a stubborn fool, but the fact is, the EVO is a super car, and so is the STi, do you know what a Zonda is? its got the fastest track time around, the EVO is 2nd place, then the lamborughini, then the STi. u ever watch the UK videos where they test each super car? yes Zonda EVO STi lambos. this is just one track test, cause rank varies.

that is just one test, there are many others, so the ranks vary. u seem to be just as stubborn as me to say they are not supercars, see i am very open minded and know when im talkin smack. to say the srt is better bang fo the buck.. that is true its a good deal, but the impreza is the better bang for the buck, bone stock WRX $25,000 out the door. bone stock srt4 $23,000. potential of srt4, very limited, potential of impreza, heard of a JUN WRX? heard of a vishnu WRX? heard of a easystreet WRX?

if i spend 4 grand on my WRX, ill own a srt4 that has spend 4 grand just as well, you know why, ill have aftermarket stuff with a ej20 block. bigger turbo bigger fuel injections, srt4? better spend that 4 grand on some internals. cause 14's and 13's is all its gona b. a ford cobra costs $37,000, an STi costs $33,000. the jdm super cars are the most worthy. a srt4 costs $23,000 at best. WRX costs $25,000 at best. just think about the future and potential and reliabiltity and fun factor. if u ever watch best motoring, you will kno why the STi and EVO are supercars, they own porches on the track. m3's u name it. they are top dawg. they are supercars. why do u think the rallyteam USA uses an STi and not an awd srt4. they know wats up. just remember wat the united states of america rally team chooses, impreza. got any more backup for the srt4? bring it cause igot answers.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:33 PM

oh yea.. dorrington, u want the roll acceleration right... USA rally team, impreza.
Old 11-06-2003, 02:25 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Talking

Originally posted by downshift
best bang for ur buck? i dont think so, for a FWD, u will always be FWD. yes it make a big different, AWD will launch like nothing off the 4 wheels. on a roll... ever hear of downshifting. awd baby.
A couple of points:
1) a lot of people have problems downshifting to first in a Subaru.
2) The guy wants a car that "feels" faster, that would be the SRT-4. It has more displacement and a fatter torque curve.
3) How do expect anyone to take you seriously when you can't even spell?
Old 11-06-2003, 04:26 PM

well....

I still can't decide...everyone's got great points, I'm just like a woman and can't decide. It's a big decision, I guess. At least I know I can't go totally wrong, unless dodge's end up blowing up all over the place...

Thanks especially downshift and sea dragon for the input. I like 'em both I really really don't know which is best for me. AWD and much nicer overall car, or the flat out speed for less $$.

How 'bout those other cars? Like the stage III a4 or GTI??

Quick Reply: any WRX owners DRIVEN an SRT-4