Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

any WRX owners DRIVEN an SRT-4

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 02:33 PM

any WRX owners DRIVEN an SRT-4

I really want to hear your impressions. I've driven both but so far apart I couldn't remember minute differences. I know the obvious differences as in AWD vs. FWD. I most recently drove the SRT and that was plenty fast for me. Can I expect the same performance in the WRX (especially 'from a roll', as thats how we all usually drive)
Old 11-02-2003, 03:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: evo
Some of you might find this hard to believe but in our local car/subaru club there is: Many WRX's, an EVO, 2 STi's and a SRT-4.(sometimes the parking lots look a bit turbo crazy)

So we all get to have really good discussions about all the cars and we can all drive each others cars. I have not driven the SRT-4 yet but I did drive the EVO and bottom line the steering is awesome the suspension is tight, bottom line that car was badass and yes I am jealous.

Next year at auto-x will we will have all the above mentioned cars compete against each other(hopefully in street tire N) while everyone is not at the same driver skill level and some of the cars are modded(for example the SRT has coilovers!) it won't be awesome stock versus stock compairon but still pretty interesting( a la takumi).

I'm really looking forward to next april.

Last edited by dcfc03; 11-02-2003 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:42 PM

spend most of my time in Malibu and LA...so its ALWAYS dry, but I do go snowboarding a few times a year.

I'm sure I would enjoy the more balanced handling and feel of the AWD, but is the SRT really THAT much faster?

When I drove it, the speed felt just right. I would'nt need anything more than that. I'm sure the wrx can be made to be as fast, but I probably won't mod for warranty issues. I guess I just want enough power to "pin you to your seat". Will the WRX deliver?
Old 11-03-2003, 11:35 AM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Legacy L 5-speed
I havent driven either
Old 11-03-2003, 06:53 PM

um...thanks whitelegacy....

So...I'm guessing I should go with the SRT?
Is the little bit of extra speed enough to justify the FWD?

ERRRR...i dont think I even know how to drive a FF...
Old 11-03-2003, 08:10 PM

Car Info: 04 Blue TS
I've been guilty of taking a car on a test drive and going to a competing dealer and test drive what they have to offer. then taking the first car back.
it's the only way to get a good comparison IMHO.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:38 PM

Car Info: dream car Subaru STi
bone stock srt4 vs bone stock wrx, on a drag race.. its all up to the driver.... in the end the WRX has wayyyyyy more potential, remember its chained down because of the usdm regulations. u take the chains off that beast, itl be waiting to kill. by the way, the srt4 is so cheap because it has a weakassss crank. if u try modding up the turbochargers on the srt4 to give it more power, get ready for a broken engine. the WRX is made to handle with itst stock internals up to 300-400hp. remember, AWD is better than FWD.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:09 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRB Wagon (Cobb AccessPort, P7's), 2-73 914 2.0, 74 914-2.0
From a roll, the SRT will kill the WRX. From a launch to the 1/4 mile, the SRT has the advantage depending on whether the driver can get the tires to hook-up.

In terms of cornering and braking, the SRT also has the edge. But that could be because manufacturer tire selection. The Michelin Pilot Sports are infinitely better than the RE-92's. It would be interesting to see how the cars would compare if they were using the same tires (I don't consider changing tires a major modification since people generally don't replace tires with the same exact model they came from the dealership with). Better rubber would definitely help the WRX in terms of braking and cornering. It might be interesting to see how the cars compare at SCCA auto-x's in similar classes (i.e. stock, street touring, street prepared).

When conditions are less than ideal, the WRX wins hands down. The advantage of AWD is that it can handle less than ideal road conditions better than 2wd cars. Think about the Audi Quattro's in the late 1980's and early 1990's. It didn't have the power of it's competitors (American muscle cars) but it dominate the Camel series because the AWD allowed it to maintain consistant lap times regardless of track conditions (oil, dirt, or fluids on the track) where the 2wd cars were severely affected. Also, the Quattro's weren't impacted by tire wear as much as the 2wd cars when the races were longer than sprints.

I don't know about the "weakassss crank" that downshift is talking about but bang-for-the-buck the SRT is more performance on asphalt than the WRX. In terms of modding the car, it seems to me that Dodge is backing mods to the SRT where Subaru does not. It has been said that the Subaru dealers won't honor the warranty if you put factory options like the STi axleback or the STi suspension while Dodge puts in writing that they will warranty their Stage 1 and Stage 1+ enhancements. So, if the crank is weak, it would appear that Dodge will warranty replace the engine if it fails. Plus, I think Dodge has a better warranty than Subaru (or any of the other Japanese auto makers). Of course, you might need it since Dodge's reliability isn't exactly stellar. We'll see how the SRT fairs in terms of long-term reliability. Of course, how long do you think you are going to keep the car before replacing it? I kept my Honda for 270k miles and have had one of my 914's for over 15 years.

For mod potential, I think there is more out there for the WRX and there is more mod potential since it has been on the market for a while. But, it is also going to cost a lot more to beat the SRT in terms of bang-for-the-buck (figure for $1k you can get Stage 1 for the SRT while for the WRX Vishnu Stage 0 costs $1k and I think the SRT will be faster).

In terms of what it appears you are looking for, since you live in SoCal the SRT is probably a better option for you (flame suit on). 355 days out of the year will be dry and I don't ever remember there being a chain requirement in LA. How often do you drive to the mountains for skiing/snow boarding? For a handful of times a year, I'm guessing you slow down and put chains on.

Of course, I also like having ankles below my knees and prefer not having a steering wheel imbedded into my chest or head introduced to body panels or windows. The Neon/SRT has a poor offset crash index while the WRX scored very highly.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:26 PM

thanks a TON sea dragon--

I think you helped me make up my mind on the SRT. Since its the faster/better handler of the two (stock, how it will stay) AND cheaper, I think I'll go with that. I would like the AWD, but really it doesn't make THAT much difference in real world driving except off the line and in bad conditions. But your right, Its ALWAYS dry and Its just not worth the AWD premium.

What do you think about a used EVo or S4 if I can find one for the right price (ie WRX territory)? Worth considering?
Old 11-04-2003, 04:42 PM

oh yeah i was thinking about this too, not sure of the costs--

what about a used GTI or a4 1.8t with APR stage III???

suggestions? I'm not limiting myself to JUST the wrx and srt, but they're the best NEW options I could come up with. I know I want a turbo, and would prefer not FWD (but you can't have it all), and a decent interior (no 240sx's...). Let me know if you've got any good ideas.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:46 PM

muahahahahahahahahahaha go ahead n get the srt4.

best bang for ur buck? i dont think so, for a FWD, u will always be FWD. yes it make a big different, AWD will launch like nothing off the 4 wheels. on a roll... ever hear of downshifting. awd baby.

yes dodge srt4 is krazy for its price. its FASTTT for a $22,000 out the door tax included price. WRX comes with wayyyyyyy better internals and AWD, thats why it costs more, AWD is something very expensive. u guys should learn about the internals of the srt4, weak crank, i promise u, if u try to mod ur car to be 300 or 400hp... get ready for some engine damage, MAJOr expensive damage. yes dodge warrantys bolt ons. i repeat bolt ons, excluding a bigger turbocharger.. and u kno why... cause a bigger turbo charger will blow the srt4 motor to smitherins. u basically have to rebuild the whole block, forged crankshaft, forged pistons, etc.. in order to handle a bigger turbocharger. plus additional engine management such as bigger fuel injectors. all that will costs more than the upgrades of an impreza. im trying to look out for my fellow californians here.. im telling u , if u are gona buy a new.. a NEW CAR. between the WRX vs Srt4, get the WRX. do u kno why its has a .4 slower 1/4 time? because it comes stock with 3 cats. u can gut out the uppipe, FREE of costs, and u will instantly smoke the shiet out of the SRT4. cats will restrict high end power, that is why. 0-60, the WRX wins, add the removed cats, which is illegal. =) bye bye bye srt4. but hey if u remove all the cats and leave one u can still be legal. that is enough power to take out the srt4. u kno how i know.. i race an srt4 off the line... his car bone stock, my car bone stock piping except that i gutted my uppipe for free and..... unbolted 2 bolts for an open exhasut, my car sounded crazier and louder than his.

the WRX uses a horizontally opposed 4 cylinder motor, very very unique, meaner than the sounds of a srt4, u ever hear the boxer motor with open exhaust? meaner than any muscle car. it talks the talk and walks the walk. either way though, if u buy either car both will kik major ***. just remember... if u want more potential. its the WRX, trust me wen i tell u the wrx internals are made to handle A LOT a power, all u need to do with a bigger turbocharger is make sure get fuel injections upgrades. for the srt4, thats a different story, itll cost too much to handle a bigger turbocharger. and finally... every competitor now is trying to take out the impreza market.. but.. no one can really be better yet.. see cause technology is patented and copyrighted. so its hard to invent something crazier. WRX is better quality definitely.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:48 PM

o yea make the srt4... $23,000 out the door since msrp is going for $20,995 plus 8% tax which is another $2000. i got my WRX out the door, turbo guage short shifter. $26,000 out the door. to me thats better bang for the buck.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:51 PM

spoiler included supposedly =). muahahahahah! its all about AWD.

all wheel drive.. ALLLLL WHEELS DRIVING instead of TWO., ALL WHEELS GETTING TRACtion. =)

Quick Reply: any WRX owners DRIVEN an SRT-4