Yay for car profiling, first experience with hood popping and pissy cops.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 11:04 AM

Car Info: I is not STiYLIN n e moar
Originally Posted by Zoeb2s
did anyone actually read all that?
roger that.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:05 AM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
Originally Posted by STiYLIN
Do you work in law enforcement or are you affilated somehow?

I am not a cop. I work in tech as a sysadmin. I have given classes in the past to LEO's on basic computer forensic collection techniques, but that is the extent of my affiliation. Wait, actually, my maternal grandfatehr was a cop, but he died when I was 2, so I never really knew him.

Are some cops dicks? Yeah, I've had my run ins with them. Are many cops dicks? Yup. Should you EVER question the cop before complying with his order, regardless of his dickheadedness? NO.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:06 AM

Car Info: Audi B6 S4
we actually experienced this a couple years ago when i lived in Davis.... there were a buncha cars on those dead back roads but luckily me and my friend were able to leave before the cops came. about 6 patrol cars rolled up and detained everybody...threatening to tow their cars and all. but at the end the davis cops just let them go
Old 01-11-2007, 11:06 AM
SK

Car Info: an EQ tuned box
Originally Posted by mcowger
No, its not a crime. You do it AFTER you comply with the order, not BEFORE.
Honestly, I do not see a problem with asking before reaching for the wallet.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:14 AM
SK

Car Info: an EQ tuned box
Are some cops dicks? Yeah, I've had my run ins with them. Are many cops dicks? Yup. Should you EVER question the cop before complying with his order, regardless of his dickheadedness? NO.
Most are. Running into a "nice" cop seems to be the exception nowadays.

My last run in with the law was when some cops got pissed off that they didn't get the parking space infront of Little Henry's (Larkin & Post). What was dumb was the "What are you doing around here?" question. I gave the cop a blank look and raised my food orders, and politely pointed out the fact that I had just walked out from the restaurant. He then threaten me with the ever so typical "Do you want to go to jail?" remark.

It's cops like these that give the PD bad rep. And they wonder why people don't like cops.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:27 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
Davis PD are dicks. Even worse...they have bike cops. I"m not talking about cops on Harleys or BMW motorcycles. I'm talking about dick cops on Trek and Gary Fisher bicycles....

who give you B.U.I.

That's right Biking Under the Influence. Hey man, I'm not a jerk enough to drive when I'm drunk...so let me at least bike. Hell fuqing no...I can't even do that. I gotta walk.

3 BUI tickets in 6 months. No joke.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:30 AM

Car Info: 2005 STi Silver
Originally Posted by stevenkhau
Davis PD are dicks. Even worse...they have bike cops. I"m not talking about cops on Harleys or BMW motorcycles. I'm talking about dick cops on Trek and Gary Fisher bicycles....

who give you B.U.I.

That's right Biking Under the Influence. Hey man, I'm not a jerk enough to drive when I'm drunk...so let me at least bike. Hell fuqing no...I can't even do that. I gotta walk.

3 BUI tickets in 6 months. No joke.

Yeah, sometihng is wrong with these cops, I saw a guy in a PATROL CAR stop a biker because he ran a stop sign on campus, like seriously, if you were a freshman living in the dorms on campus and get pulled over by the squad car while you're on a bike ,that's gotta be pretty funny and stupid. I tihkn all of us know to slow down at a stop sign and watch for cars, but stopping and starting is pretty lame on a bike because you already have momentum and accelerating on a bike is slow and wastes eeryone's time and just relaly inefficient.

My brother's friend once ran away from the cops on his bike when the other bike was on one of those moutain bikes, and he got away, lol.

BUI's are funny, i never heard of them until I came here

Last edited by BoxerRumble; 01-11-2007 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:40 AM

Car Info: WRX STi
I heard the Davis cops were all pissed at suby drivers because of some people doing uninsured, reckless road-dyno pulls on quiet roads around the area...

Just kidding Ed
Old 01-11-2007, 11:40 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX wagon
actually..u cant even walk drunk in davis..youd be taken in for being drunk in public..haha..tipsy taxi is the only waaay...
Old 01-11-2007, 11:48 AM

Car Info: 07 Black 2.5i
tipsy taxi and unitrans (at least only a handful of drivers) are cool... the rest you wouldn't even want to be caught dead in their car let alone a bus and a van...
Old 01-11-2007, 11:59 AM

Car Info: 05 CMG STi, 67' GTO, 69' Camaro
Originally Posted by SkylineR35GTRx
I hate thinking that laws are so set in stone that anyone who tries to fight it will get put down or harassed.
hahaha, welcome to the real world

and for some reason really glad mcowger isnt a cop.

some might say i have a problem with authority, but if you want me to comply, dont ****ing order me around, who are you really but a person just like me but with a badge and a gun. respect me, and ill respect you. a lot of police officers need to be taught this.

-1 for police power trips
Old 01-11-2007, 11:59 AM

Car Info: 1995 Legacy L wgn & 1995 Legacy Brighton wgn
The cop did EXACTLY the right thing here. The supreme court has found (the ruling was recent, only like 2 years ago or so) that you do NOT have to right to withhold your ID from a LEO.

Your friend should have just handed over the ID. Your friend chose to question a lawful order, and as such was detained. Many of the LEOs I know would have arrested him for that stupidty. Your friend deserved what he got, and got off lucky with just being cuffed.

As far as 'profiling' based on the car. Yeah, that sucks. Its another form of pay-to-play....dont want to get hassled? Show up to the meet in your buddies Camry. Dont want to ever get profiled as a street racing? Drive your own Camry.
the order was not lawful because we were not doing anything illegal with those cars. had the officers pulled any of us over for speeding (or any other kind of moving violation for that matter), then yes they would be right in demanding ID/Registration/all that stuff. all we were doing was standing around talking, that is not probable cause for a search of your car.

granted, visible modifications do give probable cause, but we are still within our rights to refuse the give the officers permission to search our cars. we are also within our rights to refuse to answer any questions that the officers ask us about our cars, and what we do with them. this is all covered under the 5th amendment right to shut the hell up when you might be forced to incriminate yourself.

the only reasonable excuse for the officers to detain Manny was to prevent an escalation of the situation, which they had already provided for by calling in so much back-up when there was no need for it. the two officers by themselves could have conducted that whole "operation", there was no need for them to call in so much back-up. all that was, was a show of force to intimidate us into cooperating, and unfortunately it worked a little too well.

as far as the ID situation, i do recall hearing about that supreme court decision, but that decision does not affect our right to withold registration and insurance, and anything else they were asking for because we were not in violation of any traffic laws. and in any case, any time the police ask you to surrender something, you are entitled to an explanation of why you are being asked to surrender that thing. "Because I said so" is not a legally standing reason, that will not hold up in court unless it is followed by an explanation of what the order is for.

additionally, the officers incorrectly quoted laws about exhaust modification, as well as pointing out perfectly legal suspension modifications as being illegal (which of course was wrong). not to mention the whole thing about Tony's oil cap being an illegal horsepower modification.

i agree that it was very cool of the officers to just let us go with a "warning", but the whole operation itself was BS. they profiled people who were not engaging in anything illegal, used an uncessary show of force to intimidate people into forfeiting their constitutionally-given rights, and unlawfully cuffed and detained one of our members for asking a simple, and perfectly legitimate question.

i'll have more to add when i get home from work tonight.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:05 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I got pulled over for my exhaust the other night.

Guy saw me parking to eat. Circled the block to get another look. Hour plus later saw me drive by. Bought 2 miles later popped me for my exhaust. Small town country road.

Pulled all 3 of our ID's. Said if no warrants he'd let us ride...and did so.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:11 PM
UTR Member

Car Info: 93 Impreza L
so did the cops pop the hood on your skylineR 35 GTRx? What every happened to that thing anyway?

Last edited by killaho; 01-11-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:15 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi Silver
Originally Posted by killaho
so did the cops pop the hood on your skyline R GT35Rx? What every happened to that thing anyway?

Nah i didn't bring it

Quick Reply: Yay for car profiling, first experience with hood popping and pissy cops.