Where did you travel after college?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 01:06 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by Hatteroo
never graduated college, but doing some adventuring being in the AF and in Japan

word, never went to college but in the Navy was stationed in San Diego and went to Hawaii, Japan, Hong Kong, Seoul, Jakarta, Singapore, Bangkok, Olongopo PI, Sydney, Tasmania, and Taipei.

and this was in the early 90s before the whole world was all up tight. Yeah I wouldnt trade that WestPac for the world!!
Old 03-05-2010, 05:35 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by Krinkov
word, never went to college but in the Navy was stationed in San Diego and went to Hawaii, Japan, Hong Kong, Seoul, Jakarta, Singapore, Bangkok, Olongopo PI, Sydney, Tasmania, and Taipei.

and this was in the early 90s before the whole world was all up tight. Yeah I wouldnt trade that WestPac for the world!!
Hells yes! World travel on The Man's dime.

I got the travel bug very early from my grandparents; road trips every weekend all over the country.

Went to Austria in the early 80s and had my eyes opened. Even though my family is from Austria, I stayed out in the countryside with a family that spoke no English...H&F Obenhaus.
They had an 8yr old daughter named Jasmine.

I went to Vienna for the first time & it reminded me of San Francisco, just older, bigger, and, well, better.

Traveled a little with the military from 88-91. Saw and experienced both heartwarming and ****ed up, repugnant **** all over.

Been to Oahu twice, and with exception to Pearl Harbor, it sucks.

After I graduated from college, wife & I went to Europe. Flew into Frankfurt and took the train to Czech Republic/Prague.
At the train station, we were crowed by people looking to rent out their rooms for money. This one little old lady spoke no English or German, but we clicked. She handed us a piece of paper with her address on it, took us to a cab, and off we went. Stayed a couple of nights with her and then headed to Austria, Germany, (bypassed France), and left the Continent via Oostend, Belgium.

I found England, especially London, to be quite dirty, very expensive, but still worth it.

My advice to you youngsters:

Sell your cars, gaming systems, phones, etc and TRAVEL! you will have stories that will last a life time. The stuff I learned from traveling can not be taught in any class, learned in any book.
Disconnect from the interwebs and really experience life.

Like pissing your pants in Switzerland because you tried to keep with your 85yr old grandpa at a lakeshore bar.
Or joining the Mile High Club somewhere over the Arctic Circle.
Or sleeping in the same house that your greatgreatgreatgreat something built 300yrs earlier.
Or jumping into a foxhole that some scared **** soldier dug in the Mountains outside of Vienna.
Or finding that 8yr old girl...14yrs later...
Old 03-05-2010, 08:07 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
high five?
Old 03-05-2010, 08:08 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Hmmmm...that does sound a little creepy.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:39 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Hmmmm...that does sound a little creepy.
slightly. i'm sure the Swiss have liberal consent laws though
Old 03-05-2010, 08:52 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
I went to job fairs. Two years after graduating, working and saving I took a summer off and went to Europe to do the back packing thing.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:09 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Hells yes! World travel on The Man's dime.

I got the travel bug very early from my grandparents; road trips every weekend all over the country.

Went to Austria in the early 80s and had my eyes opened. Even though my family is from Austria, I stayed out in the countryside with a family that spoke no English...H&F Obenhaus.
They had an 8yr old daughter named Jasmine.

I went to Vienna for the first time & it reminded me of San Francisco, just older, bigger, and, well, better.

Traveled a little with the military from 88-91. Saw and experienced both heartwarming and ****ed up, repugnant **** all over.

Been to Oahu twice, and with exception to Pearl Harbor, it sucks.

After I graduated from college, wife & I went to Europe. Flew into Frankfurt and took the train to Czech Republic/Prague.
At the train station, we were crowed by people looking to rent out their rooms for money. This one little old lady spoke no English or German, but we clicked. She handed us a piece of paper with her address on it, took us to a cab, and off we went. Stayed a couple of nights with her and then headed to Austria, Germany, (bypassed France), and left the Continent via Oostend, Belgium.

I found England, especially London, to be quite dirty, very expensive, but still worth it.

My advice to you youngsters:

Sell your cars, gaming systems, phones, etc and TRAVEL! you will have stories that will last a life time. The stuff I learned from traveling can not be taught in any class, learned in any book.
Disconnect from the interwebs and really experience life.

Like pissing your pants in Switzerland because you tried to keep with your 85yr old grandpa at a lakeshore bar.
Or joining the Mile High Club somewhere over the Arctic Circle.
Or sleeping in the same house that your greatgreatgreatgreat something built 300yrs earlier.
Or jumping into a foxhole that some scared **** soldier dug in the Mountains outside of Vienna.
Awesome. Sounds like you had great experiences.

And I'm not just talking about the 22 yr old.

Hey... I never understood what the deal with the mile high club is. Is it just the novelty or does the motion of the plane or what have something to do with it?