Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 01:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by irrational x
Spain
France
UK

Spain was my favorite overall, an awesome country. its the only place i have ever been served Jack n Coke in a pitcher. for big cities, i liked Madrid more than Barcelona... but we had **** weather in Barcelona and that may skew my view. the smaller places in Catalonia for fantastic just make sure you 1.) don't speak with a Castilian accent or 2.) aren't Muslim. they have a long tradition of killing muslims and those under the crown of Castile.
I've spent a lot of time in Spain and have to say I prefer Madrid to Barcelona as well. Barcelona is an experience, but I got a real "touristy" feel there even going to some places off the path and such. Really fun, but I had so much fun in Madrid I went back again and just spent my time there. Before though, my friend and I spent a month in Spain and after a week in Barcelona and Madrid each, we just rented a car and drove around all over. It was awesome, amazing country. The first time I went, we ended up right in the middle of Semana Santa so it was ****ing nuts.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:38 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
I've spent a lot of time in Spain and have to say I prefer Madrid to Barcelona as well. Barcelona is an experience, but I got a real "touristy" feel there even going to some places off the path and such. Really fun, but I had so much fun in Madrid I went back again and just spent my time there. Before though, my friend and I spent a month in Spain and after a week in Barcelona and Madrid each, we just rented a car and drove around all over. It was awesome, amazing country. The first time I went, we ended up right in the middle of Semana Santa so it was ****ing nuts.
thats a +1 for spain, pull the trigger OP.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:45 PM

Car Info: 2012 WRX
My family and I immigrated here shortly after I graduated
Old 03-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
i did most of my traveling as I was younger...after college...vegas...haha. but i did take a year off and blow all the money i'd saved before i became broke and started looking for work.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:16 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Originally Posted by irrational x
thats a +1 for spain, pull the trigger OP.
Actually this isn't for me. I'm wayyyy past graduation.

Was talking with some recent graduates and their parents recently.

I did a little hawaii trip after graduation. But I should have done the backpack/hostel thing in Europe too. And as for money, it would have been funded by myself and summer internships and other jobs. It would be nice to be spoiled, but I'm not one of them.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:40 PM
I don't need more cowbell dammit!

Car Info: E82
Originally Posted by WagonMonster
Yeah must be nice to be spoiled.
Including my plane ticket I spent less than $3000 for 3 weeks in Europe.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:47 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by jewpac42
Yeah my month in Spain was around $4500 but that was mostly because we ended up staying in some more expensive places toward the end, and the two people that were going to spend the second half of the trip bailed, doubling all expenses. Either way I just made sure I had a credit card and reminded myself that I probably would not get back there any time soon and had the best time I could. Spoiled.. Yeah that would be cool. Ha! Nobody's ever really bought me anything in my life.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:53 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by jewpac42
i paid my own way working since 16 for the win
Old 03-04-2010, 03:26 PM

Car Info: 2004 STi,sold.
Inspired by a Timothy Leary speech,and aided by the compounding skills of a Mister Owsley,I traveled to Inner Space. Cost: about $5 (round trip) and worth every penny of it.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:53 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX PSM
Nowhere, I went straight to working full time, and regret doing that. If I could do it over again, I would have spent 3 months exploring every square inch of the Hawaiian Islands.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:04 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by JArnaud
Nowhere, I went straight to working full time, and regret doing that. If I could do it over again, I would have spent 3 months exploring every square inch of the Hawaiian Islands.
Except Ni'ihau of course.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by JArnaud
Makaha beckons...
Old 03-04-2010, 08:34 PM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
Originally Posted by STi33W
I entered the real world directly after dropping out of college, but have been to every state (except Alaska and Hawaii), Germany, Crete, Cyprus, Kuwait, Iraq, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Afghanistan, Korea, Japan, and the Philippines.

Germany - good food, good public transportation, great beer
Crete - beautiful landscape, lots of cats
Cyprus - good food, good people, excellent topless beaches
Kuwait - sucks
Iraq - sucks even more
Qatar - nothing to do or see
UAE - lots to do, but not as tourist friendly as they portray
Afghanistan - sucks the most
Korea - fun if you are American (I think I actually saw dollar signs flash in one person's eyes)
Japan - tons to do and very tourist friendly, crazy night life
Philippines - great once you get out of Manila and stay North of Palawan, lots of crime and corruption

Wow...I would add

GE - not so nice ppl, gotta go to a legal prostitution house once, it's novel
Korea - awesome good times...great ppl, everywhere is clean, no worries, no crime.
U.K. - everything is more expensive than you think it will be, great ppl. and they sort of speak English!
Japan - A very fun place to visit if you're a round eye! Expensive, it's the only place I went to that I felt like I was poor.
Philippines - some beautiful beaches if you get out of Manila, and the poverty only seems to exist around the cities in the countryside ppl are much better. Be very careful where you eat if you are in Manila, go to the embassy and get a list of "approved" restaurants, no kidding. Great night life though, awesome fun girls, addicting, everyone except the girls are trying to rip you off. EVERY adult male owns and carries a gun...but you can't.
Thailand - better than the RP (PI), clean, fun, only taxi drivers trying to rip you off. very cheap.
Italy - a little expensive, more hype than fun, the cities were less fun than the countryside for me.
Austria - the most beautiful mountains I have ever seen...amazing views.
Denmark - too much change, no idea what it's like these days.
France - don't like Americans, don't like anyone who doesn't speak french, don't leave stuff laying on a table on an outdoor cafe or ppl will think it's okay to borrow it...pretty good food served with stinky cheese.
Belgium - might have changed, but when I was there, if you hired a working girl and she weighs less than 90 lbs, you have to take her for a meal, it was a pretty nice place compared to France.
Spain - Poor, not like the RP, but not good either. This place was the biggest let down for me, I expected it to be good but it was really only good around the tourist hotels.
Azores - everything is uphill too many sheep...not worth the cost. Nice sweaters.
Guam - very boring, go to Hawaii.
Greece - everything soaked in olive oil, very polluted cities. Islands are nicer.
Mexico - very 3rd world, dirt roads, ugly pollution....not pretty at all except around the tourist areas.
Canada - cleaner than the US - I love the Western side (mountains) but most of the ppl live in the east. Lots of easy women compared to the US, so I heard.

I've probably been to a few other places too...I forget, haha.

Last edited by AntiochCali; 03-04-2010 at 08:41 PM. Reason: "...so I heard"
Old 03-04-2010, 09:51 PM

Car Info: 2016 FXT
Graduating this May and was planning to spend a month in Japan. I have never been out of the country before or even had a real vacation in a long time. Last vacation I had was probably like 10 years ago.

But some financial issues came up and it looks like I won't be able to go anymore. I'm really bummed as I was REALLY REALLY looking forward to going
Old 03-04-2010, 11:26 PM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT/96 Brighton Project
never graduated college, but doing some adventuring being in the AF and in Japan

Quick Reply: Where did you travel after college?