UFC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 08:47 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
War Cigano. Glad he put Cain down.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:05 PM

Car Info: '06 Wagon
lol i think Cain did himself a favor by losing so he won't have to fight the winner of Overeem vs Lesnar fight....which will be Overeem.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:09 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Old 11-16-2011, 03:46 PM

Car Info: Un Carrito Que Hace Vrooom Phsss!
I'm sure Cain will be back...ring rust plays a big role. I'd like to think overeem can take Brock but you just never know with Brock's great wrestling, he can tie you up, bring you down and hammer fist ***k you...Overeem is a known striker not grappler and that's a good reason I think him and JDS would be interesting. Still I'm a fan of Cain. I think he can win it back again...
Old 11-16-2011, 04:37 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by CaliSuby
I'm sure Cain will be back...ring rust plays a big role. I'd like to think overeem can take Brock but you just never know with Brock's great wrestling, he can tie you up, bring you down and hammer fist ***k you...Overeem is a known striker not grappler and that's a good reason I think him and JDS would be interesting. Still I'm a fan of Cain. I think he can win it back again...
Should be a good match up. I'm looking forward to the fight. I know Brock has been busting his butt to get better. Every time he comes out he improves a TON and it's been a long time for him to hone skills.

If can can avoid the big hit he might be able to win this one. I for one would like to see brock clean knock a dude out. Just to see his striking hit that level would be rad. I'm not as hyped on Overeem as most people are. If he gets passed brock he's got a tough dude in front of him. Hell... if he looses and has to face Cain he's got a tough fight. If he looses to brock he could very quickly go down the ranks because I think Carwin and Cain can both beat him.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:47 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
It's easy to write of Overeem as "just" a striker, but don't forget he has more submission victories than T/KO victories thanks to his super nasty guillotine (not to mention his ude garami variations).
Old 11-16-2011, 07:12 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Choku Dori
It's easy to write of Overeem as "just" a striker, but don't forget he has more submission victories than T/KO victories thanks to his super nasty guillotine (not to mention his ude garami variations).
True but the dude is a gnarly kick boxer and lord willing I don't see Brock getting caught in a standing guillotine.

I just don't hold him that high yet because he's had a tough time and/or pulled out of fights against some of the tougher guys.

He was moved away from Arlovski, he's had some issues with werdum (ducking him once), rua, chuck, nog, etc.

Most of the time when he faces a top notch guy he looses or they find some reason to pull him from the fight. He finally beat werdum but I heard the fight was kinda... meh.

He's had some impressive knock outs and some impressive subs so I'll give him his cred.... but he's got a lot of ****** in the armor.

I think he's got as good a chance of getting by Lesnar as he does loosing to him. Maybe 60/40 on the win because he's got more tools.

I think he could take carwin because they're both strikers and he's got more tools but carwin has shown he can knock out anyone. Etc etc etc.

He's good. But I'm not buying into the number 3 slot in the world until he earns it.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:13 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
True but the dude is a gnarly kick boxer and lord willing I don't see Brock getting caught in a standing guillotine.

I just don't hold him that high yet because he's had a tough time and/or pulled out of fights against some of the tougher guys.

He was moved away from Arlovski, he's had some issues with werdum (ducking him once), rua, chuck, nog, etc.

Most of the time when he faces a top notch guy he looses or they find some reason to pull him from the fight. He finally beat werdum but I heard the fight was kinda... meh.

He's had some impressive knock outs and some impressive subs so I'll give him his cred.... but he's got a lot of ****** in the armor.

I think he's got as good a chance of getting by Lesnar as he does loosing to him. Maybe 60/40 on the win because he's got more tools.

I think he could take carwin because they're both strikers and he's got more tools but carwin has shown he can knock out anyone. Etc etc etc.

He's good. But I'm not buying into the number 3 slot in the world until he earns it.
I agree that Lesnar will be a good litmus test for Reem, but one other thing to note: the difference between Reem at LHW and HW is like the difference between Anderson Silva in his Pride days and Anderson Silva in his UFC stint -- in a word, dramatically improved. I have no doubt that Reem will outstrike Lesnar, but it will be interesting to see if he can overcome Lesnar's formidable takedowns and topgame. Although, I think that if Overeem takes a top position on Lesnar, Lesnar will be pretty boned. Either way, should be a fun match!
Old 11-17-2011, 04:38 PM

We've seen what wrestling can do when used properly... It's real frustrating and can get you out of your game when you spend all three rounds on your back... Control of your opponent if very important in the UFC... Like I pointed out on Brian Stann and Chael... The grappler will take the fight MOST of the time...the reason Werdum vs Overeem II wS boring was because overeem didn't want to go to the floor with Werdum...(scared to get sub again) . Everyone knows this about Overeem.. Great striker... Lots of muscles... What else? Not known to be a wrestler or bjj subs other than the choke that consist of just muscles, no triangles or fancy subs.. Does great vs the ones who dare strike with him... But is scared and not confident on the ground.. This isn't strikeforce/k1, it's the UFC and if you don't know how to grapple, you Won't have a future in the UFC for long ..

I'm just gonna predict it already... Brock in yhe first or second round by ground and pound/ eat my fist kinda style.. THAT IS if he decides not to exchange with Overeem... And does what Brock does best.. That's tie up up against the cage, tAke down and drop fist.... Overeem will have no defense....

Cung Le KO over Wandy.... Cung Le won't ever be GREAT but Wandy is done. Chin made of glass. Got caught by Leben who is strictly a brawler. Cung Le's striking is so technical... I say KO in the 1st or 2nd...

Hendo is on a rampage right now... So I say KO over Rua a for sure thing... Rua just isn't on Hendos level.. Striking wise their pretty even with Rua getting the upper hand slightly but hendo has that wrestling that I talk about sooo much... That if he decides to use, can control the fight very well...

Tito vs Nog? .... Tito was my first fav fighter when I was young... Was happy to see him beat Bader but I don't think he can beat the brazilian.. More well rounded.. Better hands... Ground game is pretty even euth Nog's bjj and Titos wrestling.. Will see but doupt Tito will win. Nog by decision on a one sided fight..
Old 11-17-2011, 05:41 PM
General Pimpin'

Those are all pretty solid predictions.

I agree about Wandy but he's still dangerous... but I do think it ends early in the second round.

The hen do/rua fight is the one I look forward to the most. Should be a great fight.

I was bummed about Bader. I can appreciate Tito but I hate the dude. My family is from the Pit... we don't like Tito. Nog has preven that he can be stopped. That can change a fighter with his style. Nog's biggest hole is that if he gets taken down by a guy with a really good top game he can be stopped. Tito's defensive BJJ game is good enough that if he gets on top he wins. If he tries to man up and stand with Nog he could be in trouble. But I think Tito wins a decision or wins by stoppage in the 3rd.

I can't wait to see hendo fight again.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:35 PM
VIP Member

Control of your opponent if very important in the UFC...

Everyone knows this about Overeem.. Great striker... Lots of muscles... What else? Not known to be a wrestler or bjj subs other than the choke that consist of just muscles, no triangles or fancy subs.. Does great vs the ones who dare strike with him... But is scared and not confident on the ground.. This isn't strikeforce/k1, it's the UFC and if you don't know how to grapple, you Won't have a future in the UFC for long ..

I'm just gonna predict it already... Brock in yhe first or second round by ground and pound/ eat my fist kinda style.. THAT IS if he decides not to exchange with Overeem... And does what Brock does best.. That's tie up up against the cage, tAke down and drop fist.... Overeem will have no defense....
Yet another reason why I revile the NA Unified Rules and the 10-point must -- it encourages lay and gay. What good is position without an attempt at submission or gnp? Of course, no one can accuse Lesnar of that. GSP on the other hand...

That being said, I think you're underestimating Reem's sprawl and his submission game. Like I said in my last post, Reem also has a fairly slick ude garami, and he has armbarred and triangled opponents in the past (although not as common as, say, Big Nog haha). I also wouldn't write off his guillotine as "all muscle" either; he sets them up nicely, especially against opponents going for a clinch or takedown; besides, don't you yourself grapple? You know a poorly placed guillotine doesn't do much, even if the biggest guy in your gym tries to crank the daylights out of you -- it takes correct technique to get it, namely placement of the forearm under the mandible and across the neck, and correct body positioning relative to your opponent. I also don't know if you've watched Reem's fights overseas or if you only watch the domestic MMA, but Reem has a pretty decent topgame. If Reem can keep the fight standing or stay on top, Lesnar's in trouble. If Lesnar can take the top, Reem's in trouble. I also wouldn't discount "puncher's luck" when it comes to Overeem too. That's pretty much it. Either way, it'll be entertaining.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:50 PM

yeah the Reem vs Lesnar fight can go either way....
Old 11-17-2011, 09:40 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Choku Dori
Yet another reason why I revile the NA Unified Rules and the 10-point must -- it encourages lay and gay. What good is position without an attempt at submission or gnp? Of course, no one can accuse Lesnar of that. GSP on the other hand...

That being said, I think you're underestimating Reem's sprawl and his submission game. Like I said in my last post, Reem also has a fairly slick ude garami, and he has armbarred and triangled opponents in the past (although not as common as, say, Big Nog haha). I also wouldn't write off his guillotine as "all muscle" either; he sets them up nicely, especially against opponents going for a clinch or takedown; besides, don't you yourself grapple? You know a poorly placed guillotine doesn't do much, even if the biggest guy in your gym tries to crank the daylights out of you -- it takes correct technique to get it, namely placement of the forearm under the mandible and across the neck, and correct body positioning relative to your opponent. I also don't know if you've watched Reem's fights overseas or if you only watch the domestic MMA, but Reem has a pretty decent topgame. If Reem can keep the fight standing or stay on top, Lesnar's in trouble. If Lesnar can take the top, Reem's in trouble. I also wouldn't discount "puncher's luck" when it comes to Overeem too. That's pretty much it. Either way, it'll be entertaining.
Devils advocate... guys tap to poorly placed chokes all the time. Sometimes they just want out. Sometimes the dude is strong as **** and it hurts. Not sure if you've ever had a 230kbhigh dude put his forearm on your jaw and crank, but it hurts. Oh... and sometimes guys are Just beaten up and then submitted like thiago's. That was a T-Mobile not a submission. Anyone can choke out a knocked out fighter.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:34 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Devils advocate... guys tap to poorly placed chokes all the time. Sometimes they just want out. Sometimes the dude is strong as **** and it hurts. Not sure if you've ever had a 230kbhigh dude put his forearm on your jaw and crank, but it hurts. Oh... and sometimes guys are Just beaten up and then submitted like thiago's. That was a T-Mobile not a submission. Anyone can choke out a knocked out fighter.
Agreed, it's what separates the men from the boys though. I've had some pretty big dudes crank me before, but if the choke is off position (and he doesn't have the proper position to transition to full-purpose neck crank as opposed to a choke), and if you can remain calm, there's just about always wiggle room (even if it's just a cm or two, it's enough). Of course, sometimes panic or fatigue sets in, and there goes the tap you come to regret.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:57 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
yeah the Reem vs Lesnar fight can go either way....
Personally I think it comes down to two things

-Can Lesnar get hit in the face and not curl up into a ball like he always has in the past?

-Is Overeems cardio better than his last fight?

Those will be the deciding factors. It works in Brocks interest to tire the Reem out because Reem doesnt throw any half *** hits. Everything he throws is 150% which is why hes dead tired in round 2.

I think if Overeem plays it smart and doesnt try to over punch Brock when he curls up, he will win. Take a page from Cains book and go for the precise hits instead of bombarding him with blows like Carwin did and then gas.

Last edited by FXTbrah; 11-18-2011 at 11:00 AM.

Quick Reply: UFC Thread