UFC Thread >

UFC Thread

Notices

UFC Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 05:36 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by nokio View Post
When on the ground are the UFC rules, that the fighter must advance his position? Or is it try to finish? Pretty sure K1 and Dream over in Japan is work to finish.
It's not even that... you really just have to stay busy. You can literally slap the guy and they won't stand you back up.

I personally like the work to finish policy or at least advance your position. I hate when people just lay on the other guy.

I have no problems with people using their skills to win a fight. But I don't think that was directed at anything I said anyways.

I personally love the fact that if you are tough minded and have a solid BJJ game you can win a fight at any time. Be getting SMASHED and still win. Alla Mir/Lesner and Silva/Sonnen.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:32 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX sedan
Originally Posted by nokio View Post
What is wrong with a fighter using his brains and winning - in any fashion possible. Decision, KO, TKO, KTFO it doesn't matter, a win is a win. If your game is ground and pound why the hell are you going to stand up with someone who's a better striker than you? Get his *** to the ground and enact your will upon him. I swear most UFC fans seem like WWF converts lol. You want them to pull out ladders and ****? I have no problem watching a fight that's played out like a chess match.

When 2 brawlers go at it, then there is a good chance someone is night night in the first round. A BJJ or wrestler vs another of similar technique is unlikely to end in a devastating KO, but more likely to go to ground and turn into a "who can out counter the other" when given equal skill.

When on the ground are the UFC rules, that the fighter must advance his position? Or is it try to finish? Pretty sure K1 and Dream over in Japan is work to finish.
Is this a response to my post?

I never said anything about someone fighting smart, my point is that in a title fight, I want a definitive winner. Edgar is good at scoring points, but he never really kicks anyones *** or submits. check out his record. He is like mayweather, score points with speed and then take no risks and not worrying about finishing.

UFC rules aren't like japanese mma rules. You can be on the ground and just smother someone without a ref standing them up. You can totally wear down a clock. UFC is just that you have to stay busy. You can do little 3 inch rib shots or punch someone in his arm and not get stood up.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:19 PM

Car Info: 06 WRX TR
I was a fan of BJ Penn but after Saturdays performance he went from being one of the Top lightweights to just another Average fighter. He's lost his fire. He's either hit or miss. And the last two fights he's missed.Which is weird cause he murdered Stevenson, then Kenny Florian, and then Diego Sanchez. Don't remember if its in that exact order but you get the idea. I think he needs a psychiatrists or something to make him mentally strong cause he always breaks down when somebody begins to pick him apart. Oh well. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:34 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by bjtwrx06 View Post
I was a fan of BJ Penn but after Saturdays performance he went from being one of the Top lightweights to just another Average fighter. He's lost his fire. He's either hit or miss. And the last two fights he's missed.Which is weird cause he murdered Stevenson, then Kenny Florian, and then Diego Sanchez. Don't remember if its in that exact order but you get the idea. I think he needs a psychiatrists or something to make him mentally strong cause he always breaks down when somebody begins to pick him apart. Oh well. Just my 2 cents.
The deal with BJ is that he doesn't HAVE to fight. He does this for fun. So when he's in to it he's unstoppable. His talent is as high as it gets and his skill is up there with everyone in the weight class. But he just isn't always in to it.

He's looked totally uninterested in probably 4 of the last 7 fights. He didn't even look that in to his GSP fights. But he's also tough to read because he's so damn calm all the time. Which is a good thing I guess.

I still love BJ and I look forward to seeing him fight again. It's just too bad he's gonna have to go through another 3 fighters to get back to a title fight.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:50 PM

Car Info: 06 WRX TR
True. But why? He get's you hyped up or at least he gets me hyped up before he fights but then he comes out and does nothing. I agree with you that he usually comes in very calm into a fight but he usually has this fire in his eye's that he hasn't showed in the past 2 fights. I would've thought that he wanted that belt back. On another note though they should bring some of the guy's from the WEC to fight at lightweight like Ben Henderson. I think they could really compete with the LHW division.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:08 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by bjtwrx06 View Post
True. But why? He get's you hyped up or at least he gets me hyped up before he fights but then he comes out and does nothing. I agree with you that he usually comes in very calm into a fight but he usually has this fire in his eye's that he hasn't showed in the past 2 fights. I would've thought that he wanted that belt back. On another note though they should bring some of the guy's from the WEC to fight at lightweight like Ben Henderson. I think they could really compete with the LHW division.
So far most of the WEC guys have gotten worked. But I would love to see some of those 145 guys step up and take a shot.

Mike Brown
Urijah Faber
Hendersen
even varner and jensen.

Just some new blood.

It's a good division already though. This fight is gonna drop BJ to that 4-8 range.

Danzig, Diaz, Griffin, Guillard, Lauzon, Ludwig, Maynard, Neer, Pearson, Stevenson and even Wiman. And of course the long haired fruit cake Guida. Or even Fisher, Stout, Dos Anjos, and Cole Miller has looked pretty damned good.

All of those guys are solid as ****.

I wouldn't be surprised if BJ's next fight is Pearson. That dude is looking sick. He's going to fly up the ranks. There are a lot of solid fights in there to see who the next couple guys to get a shot are. But more than likely it'll be someone like Diaz or something like that.

It's a great weight class already.

I think you bring over the top 3/4 WEC guys in the 145-155 range and they're gonna be fighting somewhere around the 15th ranked fighters on that list. Guys in that Neer range... and they'd probably loose.

Might as well stay over there. UFC owns both so it's too big a risk to pull all the stars from the WEC unless they shut it down and combine.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:13 PM

Car Info: WRB 03(sold) AW 03(sold) 02 Taco!
Originally Posted by OneManArmy View Post
So far most of the WEC guys have gotten worked. But I would love to see some of those 145 guys step up and take a shot.

Mike Brown
Urijah Faber
Hendersen
even varner and jensen.

Just some new blood.

It's a good division already though. This fight is gonna drop BJ to that 4-8 range.

Danzig, Diaz, Griffin, Guillard, Lauzon, Ludwig, Maynard, Neer, Pearson, Stevenson and even Wiman. And of course the long haired fruit cake Guida. Or even Fisher, Stout, Dos Anjos, and Cole Miller has looked pretty damned good.

All of those guys are solid as ****.

I wouldn't be surprised if BJ's next fight is Pearson. That dude is looking sick. He's going to fly up the ranks. There are a lot of solid fights in there to see who the next couple guys to get a shot are. But more than likely it'll be someone like Diaz or something like that.

It's a great weight class already.

I think you bring over the top 3/4 WEC guys in the 145-155 range and they're gonna be fighting somewhere around the 15th ranked fighters on that list. Guys in that Neer range... and they'd probably loose.

Might as well stay over there. UFC owns both so it's too big a risk to pull all the stars from the WEC unless they shut it down and combine.
What about Jose Aldo? He's pretty fun to watch
Old 08-30-2010, 08:20 PM
General Pimpin'

I'm sure I missed more than 1.

I was trying to think of my personal top 15 or so.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:22 PM

Car Info: WRB 03(sold) AW 03(sold) 02 Taco!
Ah. Have you seen Jose Aldo fight? I watched a lot of his rise through the WEC. He straight embarrassed some really good fighters, and he almost always delivers with good kicks and combos. Check him out if you haven't already(I'm sure you've seen him once or twice though.)
Old 08-30-2010, 09:40 PM

Car Info: '05 LGT Ltd.
The beating Aldo put on Faber was embarrassing.

As for fighters being boring on top, well the truly boring ones never advance.

Look at Machida, Dana White had ZERO interest in him, despite his undefeated record, until he started finishing people off. John Fitch is getting passed over for a title shot because of the fan outcry regarding how all he does is lay and pray. Maynard isn't the most exciting but at least he's trying compared to some of the other wrestlers.

BJ not being champion does have 1 HUGE upside, the lightweight division is now wide open. Especially since it won't be KenFlo going for the title. Maynard will beat down Edgar, and then there's a whole slew of other contenders that can beat Maynard.

Now all we need is someone who can actually beat GSP and welter will get interesting XD
Old 08-30-2010, 10:43 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by failure View Post
The beating Aldo put on Faber was embarrassing.

BJ not being champion does have 1 HUGE upside, the lightweight division is now wide open. Especially since it won't be KenFlo going for the title. Maynard will beat down Edgar, and then there's a whole slew of other contenders that can beat Maynard.

Now all we need is someone who can actually beat GSP and welter will get interesting XD
Word and word!

Faber seems to be taking it hard. Sometimes once you lose your brain figures out you aren't unbeatable and you get weak and never return to that dominant fighter.

The lightweight division is going to be awesome the next 3/4 years for sure. Probably the best division.

Once GSP and Silva get beat the 170 and 185 is wide open as well.

Heavy weight is still kind of week but it always will be... but on the flip... it's heavy weight. Always entertaining.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:06 AM

Car Info: N/A
Not that I am a fan of Josh Koscheck but him vs GSP is a fight I have been wanting to watch. It'll be an interesting season for Ultimate Fighter.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by gh0st shad0w View Post
Not that I am a fan of Josh Koscheck but him vs GSP is a fight I have been wanting to watch. It'll be an interesting season for Ultimate Fighter.
I can already imagine it now. Koscheck's going to talk isht to him the whole time, while GSP remains mellow throughout the show. Then when the fight happens, GSP's going to own him like he did their previous fight. You can't forget that Koscheck will be a weasel and pretend he got hit in the ***** or pretend that he got knee'd in the face while he was down.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:16 AM

Meh, I don't think it'll be interesting at all.. just more of the same GSP takedown after takedown. Unless you can find someone who can stuff GSP, he's never losing that belt, especially with Greg Jackson whispering "just play it safe" in his ear. Now if he were willing to actually willing to submit someone, he could would be more exciting, but he's too nice of a guy.

Silva's not going to lose anytime soon, but if he wants to stay busy and such he's going to have to move up weight soon.

Light heavy is up in the air as Rua's knee is never going to be healthy, so he'll lose eventually, if not immediately to Rashad. Which just opens things back up for Machida, who could potentially hold the belt for a while, since Rua's the only one who gives him any trouble really.

Heavy, I think is locked up. I don't see Cain being able to do much against Lesnar, and I don't think anyone gives Lesnar enough credit for his strength, agility, speed, and (believe it or not) smarts. His game plans in the 2nd Mir fight and the Carwin fight were perfect, but everyone just writes him off as "that heel from WWE".
Old 08-31-2010, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by TurnWRX View Post
I can already imagine it now. Koscheck's going to talk isht to him the whole time, while GSP remains mellow throughout the show. Then when the fight happens, GSP's going to own him like he did their previous fight. You can't forget that Koscheck will be a weasel and pretend he got hit in the ***** or pretend that he got knee'd in the face while he was down.
I was actually expecting some sort of repercussions from Koscheck's faking the downed knee to face... was kind of pissed nothing came of it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: UFC Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.